New Jem next year? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 01:59 AM

Re: New Jem next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaug View Post
Hmm, JEM7V-WH being discontinued? Or will there just be a new variant of it, there after all has been many variants.

https://cs.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pcw.ns...trMode=newpage
My guess is there will be another variant. They do not need to make it forever, but due to the recognizable nature and exceptional longevity of the JEM7V-WH, it would be odd to drop it after 27 years, especially with no replacement JEM currently being made. If they decided to discontinue MIJ JEM's entirely, it would be very similar to what they did to the Universe, which is not particularly encouraging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I'd be interested to see how many of the JEM7VWH Ibanez is selling at the moment. Especially compared a) to the newer and cheaper Premium JEMs and b) compared to their own other signature models.

Don't get me wrong, my white JEM is probably my favourite guitar, but Steve Vai doesn't have the profile he once did as "THE guitarists's guitarist" (Stevie T has 4 times as many YouTube subscribers as Steve Vai) and with the white JEM having been on sale for nearly 30 years, Ibanez AND Steve may have decided its time for a new direction to see if they can re-invigorate sales?
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'd be interested to see how many of the JEM7VWH Ibanez is selling at the moment. Especially compared a) to the newer and cheaper Premium JEMs and b) compared to their own other signature models.

Don't get me wrong, my white JEM is probably my favourite guitar, but Steve Vai doesn't have the profile he once did as "THE guitarists's guitarist" (Stevie T has 4 times as many YouTube subscribers as Steve Vai) and with the white JEM having been on sale for nearly 30 years, Ibanez AND Steve may have decided its time for a new direction to see if they can re-invigorate sales?
You might be right about all of that.
Stevia T is a name that has not reached my ears. I may not be paying attention though. Quantity of YouTube subscribers rarely defines the quality of someone else’s guitar. All I’m saying is the JEM7V-WH has been a significant guitar. If the JEM is to be taken down a different path, some overlap would make the transition smoother.

This is all speculation too...
post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Vai has hinted in the interviews relatively recently that JEMs in general sell very well. But I'd guess that is mostly Premiums.
https://bit.ly/34iQihT
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:

I don't think that's a fair assessment though, Stevie T's whole thing is his comedy based youtube channel while Steve Vai is a recording/live artist that has a youtube channel for the occasional promotional material. Stevie T is pretty much unknown outside of that part of youtube and has a mostly younger audience, while Steve Vai is still a household name. Youtube stars have been known to hit massive heights and then drop off completely, their longevity isn't the same because their content is mostly stuff consumed in the moment and then forgotten.

I hope this big news announcement isn't going to end up in the end of Prestige Jems, sugar coated to look like some celebration worthy event.. I've seen that angle played enough times now to be cynical.
peromucho7 likes this.
BigBazz is online  
post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaug View Post
Hmm, JEM7V-WH being discontinued? Or will there just be a new variant of it, there after all has been many variants.

https://cs.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pcw.ns...trMode=newpage
Heck of a great catch on your part here. Hoping they replace it with a Japanese made version, and donít default to the Indo model.
post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I don't think that's a fair assessment though, Stevie T's whole thing is his comedy based youtube channel while Steve Vai is a recording/live artist that has a youtube channel for the occasional promotional material. Stevie T is pretty much unknown outside of that part of youtube and has a mostly younger audience, while Steve Vai is still a household name. Youtube stars have been known to hit massive heights and then drop off completely, their longevity isn't the same because their content is mostly stuff consumed in the moment and then forgotten.

I hope this big news announcement isn't going to end up in the end of Prestige Jems, sugar coated to look like some celebration worthy event.. I've seen that angle played enough times now to be cynical.
Thatís my point though, itís getting to the stage that the kids who do comedy-guitar playing and can bedroom-shred, ARE the new influencers. Guys who are buy guitars are both older guys and younger guys. Iím not about to buy a Stevie T guitar, but there are probably kids out there who spend longer on YouTube than they do listening to music who see Vai as Dad Rock.

Maybe itís a case of ďthe king is dead, long live the king and his sponsored contentĒ...

Like you though I could not see the death of the Japanese JEM as anything but the end of... I just donít know what. To me, the JEM is synonymous with Japan and synonymous with high performance guitar...
jim777 and Leviathus like this.
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
To me, the JEM is synonymous with Japan and synonymous with high performance guitar...
This is why I think there will be another variant. (This is also a really good description of the JEM. )
Hoseki likes this.
post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
This is why I think there will be another variant. (This is also a really good description of the JEM. )
Maybe the VWH 2.0 is on its way?

Last edited by Leviathus; 10-30-2019 at 11:32 PM.
post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Like you though I could not see the death of the Japanese JEM as anything but the end of... I just don’t know what. To me, the JEM is synonymous with Japan and synonymous with high performance guitar...
Preach!
jono likes this.

Last edited by Leviathus; 10-30-2019 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spacing
post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
Maybe the VWH 2.0 is on its way?
Are you implying a guitar analogous to Web 2.0? Or am I reading into your post too much?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2.0
post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Are you implying a guitar analogous to Web 2.0? Or am I reading into your post too much?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2.0
Not familiar, just meant a new version of the VWH.
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
Not familiar, just meant a new version of the VWH.
No worries. I was reading into your post too much.
post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 03:52 PM

I'd like to see a 7v go back to the ebony fretboard for a few years before they discontinue it. It would also be cool to see them do the fret treatment they did on the premium on in the last few years. Let's hope they don't get rid of it.
post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Do we have any bumptastic info on a new JEM?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode