New Jem next year? - Page 4 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 07:25 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: New Jem next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Sorry for the confusion here, that's my fault as I wasn't clear...

By the PAW prototypes I mean the pink, blue, red and white "Passion" and the orange and yellow "Warfare" swirls that Ron Thorn did. Darren did the prototypes / test runs on what looked like normal, front routed JEM7V bodies. The ones that actually ended up in "production" that were made by Sugi were of course rear-routed.

Not the "original" swirled UVs
Ok! I thought you were referring to the original samples that Darren did on the 90ís for the UVerses and the GMC/PMC Jem models. Some of them were awesome and some of the best color combos were not used on regular production models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 12:58 AM

Keep in mind, it is entirely possible this JEM will not be produced. Vai had 2 built, auctioned one and kept the other. With that said, I think it will be a production model in some form and the Sustainiac will be the highlight of the guitar. I do not think it is the ďbig announcementĒ Ibanez has planned though.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 06:54 AM

It is gonna be Vantablack, with or without sustaniac.
post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100 View Post
I asume the one Thomas McRocklin used on the Audience is Listening was one of those front routed prototypes. I have always loved that swirl with the black pickguard.
Sorry for the confusion here, that's my fault as I wasn't clear...

By the PAW prototypes I mean the pink, blue, red and white "Passion" and the orange and yellow "Warfare" swirls that Ron Thorn did. Darren did the prototypes / test runs on what looked like normal, front routed JEM7V bodies. The ones that actually ended up in "production" that were made by Sugi were of course rear-routed.

Not the "original" swirled UVs
Even the original swirled proto UVs were front routs 😉. Darren did them in different color combos, Steve settled on the Green/Pink/Yellow/Black. One of these front routed color test guitars was later burned and became Bruno.
jono likes this.
post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I heard somewhere else the new Jem will be black. Interesting 🤔
post #51 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot View Post
Even the original swirled proto UVs were front routs 😉. Darren did them in different color combos, Steve settled on the Green/Pink/Yellow/Black. One of these front routed color test guitars was later burned and became Bruno.
I read that Bruno was a MKR UV; not a Darren prototype and probably rear touted if Iím correct. Never seen the back of that guitar; I donít know if it is visible on any video of Steve playing it. The pickguard was added to make it look as the Hendrix Monterey Steat.
post #52 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot View Post
Youíre correct sir; Iím wrong:

https://images.app.goo.gl/xHxkqzXFJsEdViUV8
post #53 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

So that’s two nods to a black JEM, I really liked the last black one with the chrome, the 77VBK, so I’m really excited for this.

Hell, I’m really excited by the idea of a new JEM full stop!!!
post #54 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 05:39 PM
Vendor

Those rear pics prove that was no MKR.
post #55 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Really? That would be kind of a big deal. Companies that want to use Vantablack have to submit an application and the U.K. government has to approve it. Plus, it’s expensive stuff and I’m not sure you can touch It once It’s applied.

Perhaps things have changed. If so, it would be cool to see/not see.
post #56 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
You know, if they brought back the original FP but in alder I would buy one, no question. Then I'd swap out all the pink plastic for green.
I couldn't stand the pink stuff either, so it all disappeared. I went with green humbuckers on mine and it's a great match with the flowers and vine inlay.
Hoseki is online  
post #57 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
I couldn't stand the pink stuff either, so it all disappeared. I went with green humbuckers on mine and it's a great match with the flowers and vine inlay.
I did that to my old FP. I bought this back in '94 and the first thing I did was change the pups. The original pink pups were badly faded. Its was new when I got it but it had sat in a shop under bright lights for a few years... I put a Fred in it to be different. It sounded fantastic... I sold it about 10 years ago and I'm still kicking myself for doing that...

post #58 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
I did that to my old FP. I bought this back in '94 and the first thing I did was change the pups. The original pink pups were badly faded. Its was new when I got it but it had sat in a shop under bright lights for a few years... I put a Fred in it to be different. It sounded fantastic... I sold it about 10 years ago and I'm still kicking myself for doing that...

I was really enjoying this post until I got to the last sentence.

Great look with what you did to it and too bad you can't get it back, but at least you had it for a while.
jim777 likes this.
Hoseki is online  
post #59 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 02:01 AM

Something else to think about is the Universe will be 30 years old. Perhaps a UV30th is in the cards. Just a thought...
froctavio and Hoseki like this.
post #60 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 09:21 PM
Vendor

Post count is going to go up.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode