New Jem next year? - Page 6 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 03:48 PM

Re: New Jem next year?

I just got Vai's Christmas newsletter and now I'm even more curious.

NAMM 2020:
This coming NAMM in January 2020 will be a big one for me. I will be at the Synergy and Ibanez booths on that Saturday doing signings and will be doing a gig with the band at HOB that Saturday night. We have a very nice surprise happening at Ibanez this NAMM that Iím sure you will get a kick out of. A VERY nice surprise that I am busting at the bit for you to see, hear, feel, touch and taste it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 04:17 PM

Taste it???!
Peppermint Jem?
Scratch n sniff finish?
ibaraki_gaijin is online  
post #78 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 07:39 PM

I wouldn't call the Jem the best guitar in the world, it definitely has a certain feel and some unique sounds, but there are sounds and a dynamic response you can get from a good Strat that doesn't exist in a Jem, and the same goes for say a Telecaster or a Les Paul. A Jem is a versatile tool but it's just one of many types, and sometimes another guitar does a better job. I've played my Jem 7V more than any other guitar as a working musician but I've recently in the last few months been using a Suhr Tele instead and getting to grips with that, and they really are different types of tools with different sounds and different strengths and weaknesses, every week I learn how to extract more from the Tele.

My Jem went through a rough year (I split the neck in half), it's been repaired and refretted and it plays beautifully but the tuning stability is not what it was, it doesn't return as consistently and it pulls sharp, where it used to pull neutral. The trem is significantly worn (Edges have seen better days) but I don't know if a new trem would even fix the problem, the guitar was rock solid prior to the accident in spite of the worn trem. Be interesting to see what the new Ibanez news is, we've been talking about it for months but I think I've settled on the idea that I don't want to buy any guitar that doesn't have stainless steel frets, after my Suhr and my Jem refret I'm converted.
post #79 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 11:19 PM

Reviews: 12
Cool Re: New Jem next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I wouldn't call the Jem the best guitar in the world, it definitely has a certain feel and some unique sounds, but there are sounds and a dynamic response you can get from a good Strat that doesn't exist in a Jem, and the same goes for say a Telecaster or a Les Paul. A Jem is a versatile tool but it's just one of many types, and sometimes another guitar does a better job. I've played my Jem 7V more than any other guitar as a working musician but I've recently in the last few months been using a Suhr Tele instead and getting to grips with that, and they really are different types of tools with different sounds and different strengths and weaknesses, every week I learn how to extract more from the Tele.

My Jem went through a rough year (I split the neck in half), it's been repaired and refretted and it plays beautifully but the tuning stability is not what it was, it doesn't return as consistently and it pulls sharp, where it used to pull neutral. The trem is significantly worn (Edges have seen better days) but I don't know if a new trem would even fix the problem, the guitar was rock solid prior to the accident in spite of the worn trem. Be interesting to see what the new Ibanez news is, we've been talking about it for months but I think I've settled on the idea that I don't want to buy any guitar that doesn't have stainless steel frets, after my Suhr and my Jem refret I'm converted.
First of all, I'm sorry about your JEM...That's terrible.

I totally agree with what you say. Best guitar in the world is subject to many different interpretations based on the player preference. See, to me, the JEM is the best guitar in the world because it's what I've become used to, but I would never tell anyone to buy it based on me. I tell people that the most important thing when buying a guitar is comfort. How does it feel to them? Having a guitar that's comfortable to the player is the most underrated quality. If you have a great guitar that feels awkward you won't play as well as you could...

The Jackson Kelly is like that for me...I love the look of the thing but when I pick one up it's like I never played before...
post #80 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post

Your first paragraph is true on many levels. You might be learning how to extract more from the Tele while at the same time the Tele is extracting more from you. For example, the musical ideas that enter a player's mind on one guitar may never occur to them while playing a different guitar. Guitars are inanimate objects and do not have ideas, but they have characteristics (or just character) that will influence the way you play to the point you will play something you've never played, thought of, or heard before. This is one argument for why a variety of guitars is a good thing! Also, sometimes the music requires a specific type of guitar. Yet another argument for why a variety of guitars is a good thing! "Working with what you have" is in some ways the counterargument to a variety of guitars because you can only play 1 guitar at a time (competently), its more pragmatic, and it forces you to be creative.

I am sorry about your second paragraph.
post #81 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 12:04 AM

My prediction is Ibanez JEM branded hot sauce and honey.
jim777 likes this.
post #82 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 09:14 PM

It's been leaked in a facebook group, it's called the PIA now (Steve's wife). Stainless steel frets, no sustainer but new covered dimarzios, luminlay side dots, and no more monkey grip! Some new colours though.

Link to the catalogue

Specs
post #83 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 01:58 AM

^ If they're the new Jem's, they are hideous
post #84 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 02:02 AM

I think the idea is that it's not a JEM it's a PIA...

First impression: not on board.
post #85 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 02:17 AM

Seems to be no support for them here so far but I think they're good looking guitars and it'll just be taking a while for people dead set on the Vai line to remain unchanged. There's a good chance they'll become popular, and while I'll stay happy with my 77FP, these look better than a couple of the JEM models over the years.

post #86 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I've realised I'm spamming all these threads, but...

Simply no, that "handle" is hideous!

Maybe these will prove popular with whoever's going to buy them but to me, the "artistic" cutout which lacks the functionality of the monkey grip seems absolutely pointless and detracts from the functionality of the guitar.

I'll not be getting one.
chris101 and Ammusa like this.
post #87 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
I think the idea is that it's not a JEM it's a PIA...

First impression: not on board.
And I think if you read further into that, I think Steve is retiring the Jem as his signature guitar. This is his new signature model.
post #88 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
And I think if you read further into that, I think Steve is retiring the Jem as his signature guitar. This is his new signature model.
It'll be interesting to see if Vai still has enough pull to make this work. I love the JEM but haven't really been into Steve's music for several albums.

Would I replace my JEMs with a PIA? No. For me there's no association for that guitar with anything I like musically of Vai's. I'm interested to see if others feel the same and so for me it'll be interesting to see if Vai's "legacy" is enough to sell this guitar, or whether it'll actually be doing better than the JEM has in the last few years!
post #89 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post

It'll be interesting to see if Vai still has enough pull to make this work. I love the JEM but haven't really been into Steve's music for several albums.

Would I replace my JEMs with a PIA? No. For me there's no association for that guitar with anything I like musically of Vai's. I'm interested to see if others feel the same and so for me it'll be interesting to see if Vai's "legacy" is enough to sell this guitar, or whether it'll actually be doing better than the JEM has in the last few years!
The Steve Vai connection is interesting.
I bought my first Jem without realising it was a Vai guitar or really who he was.

I've kept it (77FP) and bought another (777VBK) and other high end ibanez because I just love the necks/playability.

Sure it helps that they look really unique.

I wonder if commercially something like a mid priced Yvette Young Talman Sig would probably sell more, with better margins. The occasional limited Jem is enough for us Jem die hards? If so I'm not sure who the PIA is for...

Surely anyone who wanted a 7Vwh probably has one by now? But I doubt many 7VWH owners will rush out to "upgrade" to a white PIA?
Still I could be wrong....
ibaraki_gaijin is online  
post #90 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 01:01 PM

If anyone gets any more info this could be an interesting guitar...

https://www.gearnews.com/leak-is-iba...-at-namm-2020/
Hoseki likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode