Ibanez JEM Forum banner

New Jem next year?

17K views 108 replies 30 participants last post by  OCDemon 
#1 ·
in this video Steve mentions that Ibanez is going to be doing something 'different' with the Jem for NAMM 2020:

I know that they always do something different, but the way he says it it actually sounds 'different':grin2:

any ideas?

#4 ·
I still think the JEM is the best guitar in the world, but I don’t recall the last production model that made me go “wow”.

I get that Steve is 60 next year and no longer tours with DLR or Whitesnake and so maybe doesn’t want a guitar that looks like curtains or swirl, but I wished he would remember that lots of folks still like to think that we ‘could’ have had those gigs and want an appropriate NEW guitar!!!

Even when Kiesel are doing their weird bursts and j customs are available in all sorts of finishes, there’s still not been anything quite like the Multicolour JEMs or the Florals...

#75 ·
I still think the JEM is the best guitar in the world, but I don't recall the last production model that made me go "wow".

I get that Steve is 60 next year and no longer tours with DLR or Whitesnake and so maybe doesn't want a guitar that looks like curtains or swirl, but I wished he would remember that lots of folks still like to think that we 'could' have had those gigs and want an appropriate NEW guitar!!!

Even when Kiesel are doing their weird bursts and j customs are available in all sorts of finishes, there's still not been anything quite like the Multicolour JEMs or the Florals...
I agree with you...I can't comfortably play anything else but a JEM. I have owned 7 total, and now only have three, but will be getting another one after January.

I play in a steady working cover band, and I can tell you that the ladies love when I pull out my Pink JEM JR...Nothing gets them talking like a long haired guy with a pink guitar. :lol:

#5 ·
If they brought out a Prestige swirl Jem I would definitely buy it, I am interested in the sustainer though. Lets be honest though there hasn't been anything exciting aside from anniversary editions for a long time, most of the new models have been premiums, I don't want to spend a grand and a half for something made in indonesia with an Edge Zero II when they are selling RG550s made in Japan with original Edges for nearly half as much.

#11 ·
There's a technique called, I think, hydro printing or something similar, where a printed transfer sheet is floated on water then the object dipped in the sheet. I believe (based on hearsay) that's how the Jemini pedals are done. I bet they could make a Premium swirl that way. It'd not be individual like the "real" ones but I bet they could get it done cost effectively with some variation between each guitar...

But no, there's not a guitar out there that I've tried (and I've tried a lot, from vintage Strats to headless Blackmachines) that makes me think there's actually a "better" guitar than my '02 7V...

#16 ·
My guess is there will be another variant. They do not need to make it forever, but due to the recognizable nature and exceptional longevity of the JEM7V-WH, it would be odd to drop it after 27 years, especially with no replacement JEM currently being made. If they decided to discontinue MIJ JEM's entirely, it would be very similar to what they did to the Universe, which is not particularly encouraging. :plain:

#17 ·
I'd be interested to see how many of the JEM7VWH Ibanez is selling at the moment. Especially compared a) to the newer and cheaper Premium JEMs and b) compared to their own other signature models.

Don't get me wrong, my white JEM is probably my favourite guitar, but Steve Vai doesn't have the profile he once did as "THE guitarists's guitarist" (Stevie T has 4 times as many YouTube subscribers as Steve Vai) and with the white JEM having been on sale for nearly 30 years, Ibanez AND Steve may have decided its time for a new direction to see if they can re-invigorate sales?

#18 ·
You might be right about all of that.
Stevia T is a name that has not reached my ears. I may not be paying attention though. Quantity of YouTube subscribers rarely defines the quality of someone else's guitar. All I'm saying is the JEM7V-WH has been a significant guitar. If the JEM is to be taken down a different path, some overlap would make the transition smoother.

This is all speculation too...

#33 ·
I wonder if they're going to announce some sort of custom-shop setup where MIJ Jems will be a custom-shop order only, I reckon a flagship 7V with sustainer and full fretboard length scalloping wouldn't be off the cards. True temperament frets would probably be a step too far though, but hey if there's a custom shop for MIJ Jems, then you could just up-spec.

Would be an interesting concept, probably the only way I'd be able to get a GMC in my lifetime. LOL

#34 ·
I wonder if they're going to announce some sort of custom-shop setup where MIJ Jems will be a custom-shop order only, I reckon a flagship 7V with sustainer and full fretboard length scalloping wouldn't be off the cards. True temperament frets would probably be a step too far though, but hey if there's a custom shop for MIJ Jems, then you could just up-spec.

Would be an interesting concept, probably the only way I'd be able to get a GMC in my lifetime. LOL
I can't wait to hear more about this "custom shop" stuff, it would be very cool if you could customize a JEM. If it did come true though, i doubt they'd be swirling.

#42 ·
I would imagine he’s used available bodies for his artwork, hopefully they’ll use rear routs for the production model.

Darren used front routs on the PAW swirl prototypes, but the production models were rear routs.

Vai also was on record as saying he preferred the front routs for sound, but that was 20 years ago for the VWH

#47 ·
Keep in mind, it is entirely possible this JEM will not be produced. Vai had 2 built, auctioned one and kept the other. With that said, I think it will be a production model in some form and the Sustainiac will be the highlight of the guitar. I do not think it is the “big announcement” Ibanez has planned though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.