New Jem next year? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

6Likes
  • 2 Post By jono
  • 2 Post By BigBazz
  • 2 Post By BigBazz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

New Jem next year?

in this video Steve mentions that Ibanez is going to be doing something 'different' with the Jem for NAMM 2020:

I know that they always do something different, but the way he says it it actually sounds 'different'

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:44 PM

Re: New Jem next year?

JEM/w Sustainer, like the one he was holding for the entire video.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:22 AM

Yeah probably a sustainer. Lame to me.

I want a swirl, a GMC reissue. Iím not into JEMs like I use to be. I like Fenders, Gibsons and PRSs, but a GMC would make me buy one.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I still think the JEM is the best guitar in the world, but I don’t recall the last production model that made me go “wow”.

I get that Steve is 60 next year and no longer tours with DLR or Whitesnake and so maybe doesn’t want a guitar that looks like curtains or swirl, but I wished he would remember that lots of folks still like to think that we ‘could’ have had those gigs and want an appropriate NEW guitar!!!

Even when Kiesel are doing their weird bursts and j customs are available in all sorts of finishes, there’s still not been anything quite like the Multicolour JEMs or the Florals...
pteropid and Hoseki like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM

If they brought out a Prestige swirl Jem I would definitely buy it, I am interested in the sustainer though. Lets be honest though there hasn't been anything exciting aside from anniversary editions for a long time, most of the new models have been premiums, I don't want to spend a grand and a half for something made in indonesia with an Edge Zero II when they are selling RG550s made in Japan with original Edges for nearly half as much.
jono and Leviathus like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
If they brought out a Prestige swirl Jem I would definitely buy it, I am interested in the sustainer though. Lets be honest though there hasn't been anything exciting aside from anniversary editions for a long time, most of the new models have been premiums, I don't want to spend a grand and a half for something made in indonesia with an Edge Zero II when they are selling RG550s made in Japan with original Edges for nearly half as much.
Iím now at the stage that I donít care where the guitar is made, but like you, I donít want to pay £1500 for a guitar without the bridge it should have, and seemingly no way to simply ďtrade upĒ to a real Edge bridge.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM

I doubt a sustainer JEM is what's coming, not enough of a "big secret" to be the "big secret", and add on the whole Fernandes/Ibanez thing. Could be though, what do i know? I just hope whatever's coming is made at Fugijen.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I’m now at the stage that I don’t care where the guitar is made, but like you, I don’t want to pay £1500 for a guitar without the bridge it should have, and seemingly no way to simply “trade up” to a real Edge bridge.
I think it's because I've had to buy guitars sight unseen and I don't like to take the risk. My last two guitars were a Custom Suhr Classic T and the 30th Anniversary Jem, both of them are exceptional instruments but I didn't get to try them beforehand, you have more confidence in the higher end factories. Another part of me just likes the prestige of it (for lack of a better word), and I like the idea that my money goes towards keeping the high end factories going, I mean if everyone thought "might as well buy premium because it's really good and cheaper" there would no longer exist a Japanese manufactured Ibanez. I'm not overly fond of the idea that everything gets manufactured in China or Indonesia because nobody else can compete, at least with guitars where possible I'd rather buy something made in Japan (or the US/Europe).

I was fond of the Premium blue flower pattern Jem I played last year, but I hated the trem and the tuning stability wasn't great with it. I mean it played beautifully, was set up well and I liked the pickups but the trem put me off and I hated that big ass ugly "premium" logo above the Ibanez logo, did they really need to put it front and centre? I played an Ibanez AZ Premium at some point maybe this year or last I can't remember, either way it wasn't really for me, the neck was too chunky and it could have used a setup to get it dialled in (action was a bit high, pretty unspectacular to play).
jono and pteropid like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I think it's because I've had to buy guitars sight unseen and I don't like to take the risk. My last two guitars were a Custom Suhr Classic T and the 30th Anniversary Jem, both of them are exceptional instruments but I didn't get to try them beforehand, you have more confidence in the higher end factories. Another part of me just likes the prestige of it (for lack of a better word), and I like the idea that my money goes towards keeping the high end factories going, I mean if everyone thought "might as well buy premium because it's really good and cheaper" there would no longer exist a Japanese manufactured Ibanez. I'm not overly fond of the idea that everything gets manufactured in China or Indonesia because nobody else can compete, at least with guitars where possible I'd rather buy something made in Japan (or the US/Europe).

I was fond of the Premium blue flower pattern Jem I played last year, but I hated the trem and the tuning stability wasn't great with it. I mean it played beautifully, was set up well and I liked the pickups but the trem put me off and I hated that big ass ugly "premium" logo above the Ibanez logo, did they really need to put it front and centre? I played an Ibanez AZ Premium at some point maybe this year or last I can't remember, either way it wasn't really for me, the neck was too chunky and it could have used a setup to get it dialled in (action was a bit high, pretty unspectacular to play).
Gotcha

It's not the "location" it's the reassurance of the "quality associated with the location". I'm 100% with you on that. I probably wouldn't buy a Premium sight unseen unless it came from a dealer that would pick it out of the crowd for me, but I'd have no worries buying a Fujigen Ibanez just because of the factory where it was built.

I was the same when I tried the Premium BFP, the trem was frankly what kept me away (and the massive Premium logo didn't help either).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode