New Jem Not really impressed..... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Talking New Jem Not really impressed.....

Sorry guys love the look of Jems but just played one.... Not really blown away..... I am not up with model numbers it was a new white w/gold hardware. Set up was great, low action like all ibanezes, in tune (suprised for guitar center) Played GREAT, sounded GREAT as you would expect but I feel that my old 92 RG770 plays the same if not better (finished neck is super fast and smooth) and my 91 and 98 570's play pretty darn close and at $#00.00 for the 770 and $225.00 each for the 570s I would rather buy multiple guitars unless its a Swirl!!!! So I am putting on the flame suit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:50 AM

Re: New Jem Not really impressed.....

To each his own dude. Whenever I get a different/new guitar it takes me a bit getting used to it. You are very used to the way your old ones play so getting something with diff neck, p/u, etc will seem diff. Give it time to grow on you. If you don't love it the so be it. They arn't for everyone.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afireinside7444 View Post
Sorry guys love the look of Jems but just played one.... Not really blown away..... I am not up with model numbers it was a new white w/gold hardware. Set up was great, low action like all ibanezes, in tune (suprised for guitar center) Played GREAT, sounded GREAT as you would expect but I feel that my old 92 RG770 plays the same if not better (finished neck is super fast and smooth) and my 91 and 98 570's play pretty darn close and at $#00.00 for the 770 and $225.00 each for the 570s I would rather buy multiple guitars unless its a Swirl!!!! So I am putting on the flame suit!
Dee, is that you logged on in a different name? Only kidding mate!

Got to admit the RG5xx and Rg7xx series are great guitars and I can see where you are coming from. But I love my jem and wouldn't change it for anything else
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:04 AM

I guess some people have to justify not spending the money
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj View Post
Dee, is that you logged on in a different name? Only kidding mate!
LMFAO

Nah......Dee wouldn't have been so polite
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:07 AM

Reviews: 18

Jems are not for everyone and that's a known fact. While I'm not trying to sell you on a Jem, I will tell you this....

Buy one and take it home. Play with it for a week or two and see if you like it. If after a week or two you still don't like it, take it back to GC, get your money back and purchase something you really like.

Jimmy
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 12:56 PM

I always loved Jems. When I was 14 or 15 I forgot. When I got to play one oh man it was instant love. I played charvels but after that experience I wanted a Jem so bad. I technically still don't have one. My swirl is a herc jem swirl has all original good ibanez parts and plays and sounds like a dream but I still would love to have the real thing.

Jems are not for everyone.

I wish they would get back to using colors again this white and black jems seem REEEEEEEEEEALLLY BORING!!!! More color options would be nice.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:01 PM

Reviews: 10
Question Re: New Jem Not really impressed.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by afireinside7444 View Post
So what exactly did you expect the guitar to do? Play VAI itself???
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Banned

my mate says the same thing.he has 3 ibanez guitars,then bought a 7vwh he didnt like it says it was lacking something,and after playing the 7vwh for a few hours the neck was causing cramp in his wrist.i also find that aswell (cramp).my 777vbk neck is totaly amazing,plays itself but i must admit i prefer the 7vwh for tone sooooo slick.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 02:17 PM

Eh, when I first decided to pick up and try out a Jem at Guitar Center a number of years ago, I was completely blown away by it instantly. I found and purchased a used one within the next week and certainly have not regretted it at all. That having been said, I added an RG550 to my collection not longer after and feel that its neck plays just about as well as the Jems.

Certainly, there are some intangibles with a Jem that have little to do with the playability, and those are all entirely up to the individual. I personally think the typical retail price of a new Jem is excessive for what you're getting compared to, say, a high-end RG, but that's not that surprising for a signature model. If you really like the style and/or are a big Vai fan, it's worth it, but otherwise there are for sure cheaper alternatives that are just as nice.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
So what exactly did you expect the guitar to do? Play VAI itself???
I think he expected it to play significantly better than guitars that cost 1/4th as much...not unreasonable if ya ask me . I've tried most of the JEMs that arent the super duper rare ones, and I've honestly never been too impressed. Well built, good looking guitars, but for MY money there's much better out there for me.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
I've tried most of the JEMs that arent the super duper rare ones, and I've honestly never been too impressed. Well built, good looking guitars, but for MY money there's much better out there for me.
+1

they definitely are not for everyone and i am also one of those guys who doesn't like jems. and honestly, you don't really need to take a guitar home for a week to figure it out unless you are a novice guitar player. i can pretty much tell within the first 10 minutes if i'm going to like a guitar or not. the main thing is making sure it's set up properly as many novices equate poor set up with a poor instrument. but the topic starter stated that it was set up well, but he still didn't like it. after playing for many years on many different guitars, i found the neck profile that i'm most comfortable with and for me, it appears to be something between a strat and a js neck. the old viper profile is perfect for me, which is why i have like 7 ibanez rt's.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:00 PM

Reviews: 2

When i started to love jems was cause Steve Vai.. i loved the tunes .. use to play them in shows and the guitar help me a lot to reach the closest possible a VAi "tone".. but the time passed and i started to look for my own sound and it means my own guitar specs.. i still love my jems ang RG but my custom made guitars are so much better to me.. they fit my specific demand for neck thickness and width, thee pick ups are the ones that i chosen serching in all brands in the market... my advice is .. try to play more in a JEM.. a few moments is a store aren't enough..

Last edited by Claudio Passamani; 03-24-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: checkin spelling
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:35 PM

Reviews: 10
Talking Re: New Jem Not really impressed.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
I think he expected it to play significantly better than guitars that cost 1/4th as much...not unreasonable if ya ask me . I've tried most of the JEMs that arent the super duper rare ones, and I've honestly never been too impressed. Well built, good looking guitars, but for MY money there's much better out there for me.
First of it was a joke dude so lay off the decaf ok! I understand where he is coming from and the guy is right to some extent. Jems are fantastic guitars but I have played/owned many other guitars that play just as good or IMO better. In the end it all comes down to personal taste and what feels right to your hands and sounds good to your ears.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:40 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: New Jem Not really impressed.....

No, no, no, no, no!!! My heart is hurting!! JEMS rule!!, This can't be true, people don't really think like this!! It's all just an elaborate scam!!! Someone close this thread!! Please, conversations like this are just wrong against God and Steve Vai (actually Steve should come first...)

Tags
fret board , ibanez guitars , jem swirl , les paul , peavey vandenberg , playing guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode