New to JEM so some advice please? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

New to JEM so some advice please?

I've got GAS, and I've decided only a JEM will satsify it this time.
I know I want a model with the vanishing pyramid inlays. What I don't know is what models came with it, and what price ranges I'd be looking at to get one.
A well played guitar with finish damage doesn't bother me, nor does a near mint condition.

So... What am I looking for, and how much should I have in my pocketbook when I start looking to buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:47 PM

Re: New to JEM so some advice please?

$800-3200 depending on the model that that's your liking something like a 88 dy is around $800 were as a sk can reach up to $2800 in mint. The holy grail of the 7's, the lng will sell for $3200. So really the best place to have a look is v-bay that's what Ive based my prices on.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_SA View Post
$800-3200 depending on the model that that's your liking something like a 88 dy is around $800 were as a sk can reach up to $2800 in mint. The holy grail of the 7's, the lng will sell for $3200. So really the best place to have a look is v-bay that's what Ive based my prices on.
If you can get a 88 dy for $800 that is original (even in crappy condition) you will have found an amazing deal. Id say a player DY will go for about $1000-$1500. I got mine for $800, but the only thing original about it was the neck (not even the headstock). Total refinish, only bridge pup (non original), etc.

The only Jems with the disappearing pyramids are the DY, SK, LNG, PMC, and PBK. But if you play 7's you could get a universe with disappearing pyramids too.

Id definatley recommend a player DY, you will find the best price on one of those. However, if you have plenty of money to spend, get a LNG, PMC, or a UVMC if you like 7's. Pics if you get one!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminizer View Post
If you can get a 88 dy for $800 that is original (even in crappy condition) you will have found an amazing deal. Id say a player DY will go for about $1000-$1500. I got mine for $800, but the only thing original about it was the neck (not even the headstock). Total refinish, only bridge pup (non original), etc.

The only Jems with the disappearing pyramids are the DY, SK, LNG, PMC, and PBK. But if you play 7's you could get a universe with disappearing pyramids too.

Id definatley recommend a player DY, you will find the best price on one of those. However, if you have plenty of money to spend, get a LNG, PMC, or a UVMC if you like 7's. Pics if you get one!
/Facepalm. You didn't pickup on the 7 being an abbreviation of the 777? this is what happens when seven year olds are allowed to use the internetz.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
/Facepalm. You didn't pickup on the 7 being an abbreviation of the 777? this is what happens when seven year olds are allowed to use the internetz.

You didnt pick up on the fact that I was referring to 7 STRINGS when I talked 7's? I knew perfectly well that you were talking about 777's. Maybe I should have worded it better for simple minded people like you, but if you used half your brain and 30 seconds to actually read what I wrote before blabbing your mouth, you would have realized that I knew exactly what you said. I recommended a Universe (yet another clue to the 7 strings concept) if the OP likes 7 stringers, as some of them came with disappearing pyramids and they are essentially a Jem with another string. I, unlike you, want to actually help the OP educate himself about Jems and find an awesome guitar for him (where as you seem to just want to make obscure and immature age accusations and pick a fight) so I am not going to pursue this any further.

To the OP, after looking on the bay for a while, Im pretty confident you should grab a DY. Ive seen a few go recently for just over $1000, and they were in good shape. Should be your best bet.

Last edited by Jeminizer; 07-25-2010 at 05:48 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 PM

fail troll. yes because i had NO intention of helping OP expect the length i went to with my OP. Your defiantly one of the more brighter members of jemsite aren't you?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
fail troll. yes because i had NO intention of helping OP expect the length i went to with my OP. Your defiantly one of the more brighter members of jemsite aren't you?
IM trolling? You make me laugh. The length you went with OP, being not even two lines of prices that provide no insight or helpfulness to the OP, they just list three numbers within a $2000 range. And even then those prices are not even close to correct (were talking USD right?). An original DY for 800 would be the deal of the year, and a SK for 2800 would never sell right now. Maybe a few years ago, maybe a few years down the road. But not right now. Then you decided to be even MORE helpful and high jack the thread to tell me that Im seven years old because your brain got swollen and confused with all the 7's in my post and couldn't understand what I was saying. Now you go off with more immature insults. Nice.

But Im glad you think that I am bright. Thanks for the compliment

EDIT: Hmmm, your based your prices off of the bay, huh? Well, according to the bay, the average selling price for a Jem777dy in the last three weeks was $1442.50. Almost two times your "helpful" price of $800. Also, a SK is listed at the moment, with 19 hours left, and there are no bids. Oh, and its started at $1500.

Tavman, have you though any more about which you are going to buy?

Last edited by Jeminizer; 07-26-2010 at 12:27 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Come on guys chill out

ibz_SA - if you're making abbreviations in posts to the newer members of the site, you need to think about that a bit more. There are too many numerical identifiers involved to just throw those sorts of things around without confusing folks, no matter HOW much they know about Jems!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminizer View Post
IM trolling? You make me laugh. The length you went with OP, being not even two lines of prices that provide no insight or helpfulness to the OP, they just list three numbers within a $2000 range. And even then those prices are not even close to correct (were talking USD right?). An original DY for 800 would be the deal of the year, and a SK for 2800 would never sell right now. Maybe a few years ago, maybe a few years down the road. But not right now. Then you decided to be even MORE helpful and high jack the thread to tell me that Im seven years old because your brain got swollen and confused with all the 7's in my post and couldn't understand what I was saying. Now you go off with more immature insults. Nice.

But Im glad you think that I am bright. Thanks for the compliment

EDIT: Hmmm, your based your prices off of the bay, huh? Well, according to the bay, the average selling price for a Jem777dy in the last three weeks was $1442.50. Almost two times your "helpful" price of $800. Also, a SK is listed at the moment, with 19 hours left, and there are no bids. Oh, and its started at $1500.

Tavman, have you though any more about which you are going to buy?
Actually I was thinking DY or SK. I'm thinking of doing a swirl on anything I get so I'm not too worried about specifics other than playability and the inlays. Did all Jems come with the last few frets scalloped?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavman View Post
Actually I was thinking DY or SK. I'm thinking of doing a swirl on anything I get so I'm not too worried about specifics other than playability and the inlays. Did all Jems come with the last few frets scalloped?
Any JEM with disappearing pyramids will have frets 21-24 scalloped. A few Jems dont (BSB, DBK, and a few anniversary ones), but if you know you want disappearing pyramids you will get those scalloped frets.

If you are going to swirl it, definitely get a DY. They are the most common and cheaper than a SK, and you will occasionaly come across one thats body is beat to s*** (or altered) so it would be perfect for your situation, Post an ad here, on craigslist (if you have it, not sure where you are located, but thats where I got mine), and keep an eye on they bay. Youll find one. Good luck!

Tags
advice , inlay , jem , price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode