Is the new Jem VSBL selling? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Wether you like a color or not is so personally subjective it's only an opinion. I happen to really like the shade of blue they chose, and the sparkle gives it another dimension. I would like to see the vine a little brighter, but again, that's just an "opinion".
These "subjective opinions" you refer to are what motivate the buyer most to chose one over the other. Comming from a retail management background, I can tell you that these things weigh heavily on the consumer's mind when making a purchasing decission. Espescialy one of this monitary amount.

Example #1:
If 75% of the JEM buying market disaprove of most of the features, they won't buy the VSBL. Sales numbers will slump below expectations and the model will be discontinued.

Example #2:
If 55% of the JEM buying market approve of most features and can live with those they dislike, sales numbers will be closer to projected figures and the model will be kept for another year. Providing the new projected sales figures are reasonable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Napkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabin
I've been told that the VBSL wont even be imported in France!!
:P
There is already 2 VBSL in paris (pigalle, rue de douai), one at "universal guitar", the other at "lead guitar".
And even in real , the blue is not so good............sorry
Hein??!! Je l'ai po vu dis donc!!
Francois de Backstage me disait qu'il n'allait meme pas en faire venir!
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Hein??!! Je l'ai po vu dis donc!!
Francois de Backstage me disait qu'il n'allait meme pas en faire venir!
Hi hi

Et oui, mais backstage, ils ont un peu de mal a vendre en ce moment (Cf la dna #129 qui pourri chez depuis assez longtemps), peut etre traitent-ils leurs client comme des merdes .Par contre chez "universal"(le seul endroit ou la vsbl est en vitrine), tu peux l'essayer sans prise de tete

[poor translation] Oh yes,but "backstage",they are hard to sell stuff now (see the dna #129 that they own for so long time), perhaps they treat their customers like ****.On the other hand at "universal shop", you can try the vbsl. [/poor translation]
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 06:21 AM

We've had one in the shop since a little after NAMM and except for me testing it one day I don't think it's even been touched. Of course, here in Germany there are very few folks who still want 'pointy super strats', after all, "the 80's are so 20 years ago" . What everyone wants here are all the nu metal guitars, i.e. neck by Luisville Slugger, tune'o'matic bridge on a clunky, round body, a couple of vintage soap bar pickups, etc.

We have 2 VWHs, 2 BSBs, a VSBL, a DBK, a Crystal Planet, a PGM90HAM, etc. and they are in a seperate room surrounded by PRSs, Gibson Les Pauls & SGs, and an entire wall of Fender Strats and Teles. This seperate room is what they call the 'Schatz Kammer' or 'treasure room'. To me it looks like Custer's Last Stand. *Sigh* I fully expect the VSBL to be there for years to come like the CP and PGM90 have been unless they end up sending it back.

LJ
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Deno
Of course, here in Germany there are very few folks who still want 'pointy super strats', after all, "the 80's are so 20 years ago". What everyone wants here are all the nu metal guitars, i.e. neck by Luisville Slugger, tune'o'matic bridge on a clunky, round body, a couple of vintage soap bar pickups, etc.
I may be speaking for myself here, but what my love affair with high end Ibanez guitars (including the jem7vbl) is about a guitar capable of supporting a high level of techical sophisitication in playing irrespective of which decade it is in time it is. You can't do that on the guitar described above.

Maybe the pricing in Germany kills that sort of market.
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Deno
What everyone wants here are all the nu metal guitars, i.e. neck by Luisville Slugger, tune'o'matic bridge on a clunky, round body, a couple of vintage soap bar pickups, etc.
I may be speaking for myself here, but what my love affair with high end Ibanez guitars (including the jem7vbl) is about a guitar capable of supporting a high level of techical sophisitication in playing irrespective of which decade it is in time it is. You can't do that on the guitar described above.
I guess you've never heard of a fellow named Jeff Beck? I love Ibanez guitars, but I also think it's a mistake to confuse the craftsman with the tool...

As far as the VBSL is concerned, I won't buy one, and I don't know anyone else who will, and I haven't even seen one anywhere, so if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's a flop (in North America, at least)...
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatan
Maybe the pricing in Germany kills that sort of market.
Have you seen the prices of PRS lately? Now these are decent guitars but I'll take my DBK over a LP clone any day. The difference isn't the price, it's an attitude. I get the most condescending looks when I start talking about Steve Vai or Satriani or high end 'pointy guitars' with locking trem systems. It's gotten so bad that when one of my 'nu metal skater wannabe' collegues starts giving me chit for something I threaten him with locking him in a room with me while I practice soloing. He shuts up at that very quickly. I think he'd have a seizure and die of a brain hemmorage if I forced him to come with me to Jemfest!

The point is, these folks here don't want high end guitars, they want what's 'in' at the moment which happen to be strung, lo-tech baseball bats tuned to 'B' Soloing has become taboo and precision instruments are passť. The VBSL doesn't have an icecycle's chance in hell of selling in the current German market.

LJ
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 02:32 PM

I agree with most of what I'm seeing... I almost bought the blue sparkly beast for $1,600, and even though it's supposedly an ebony fretboard, it looks like rosewood to me. The 7VWH looks a hell of a lot nicer... and it's classier.
There's even less chance of it selling because if you turn on MTV lately, in just about every frickin alternative punker video, they're all playing PRS or LP guitars. Nothing against PRS or Gibson, just the fact that half of the people in these videos have no clue what their guitars are capable of and never will, because it's all power chord crap.
The only publicity Ibanez is getting is from bands like Korn. I hope to Jesus Christ they don't go out of business.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmeir
I almost bought the blue sparkly beast for $1,600, and even though it's supposedly an ebony fretboard, it looks like rosewood to me.
If I recall correctly the VSBL does indeed have a rosewood fingerboard. It was originally rumoured/stated to be coming equipped with ebony, but the production models have rosewood.
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 04:40 PM

Quote:
The only publicity Ibanez is getting is from bands like Korn. I hope to Jesus Christ they don't go out of business.
Hey dude whatsabout all the Ibanez endorsers? If every "MTV Power Chord Crap Band" would play Ibanez it would be nice for Ibanez but not for an Ibanez (Jem) lover like me. I don't want every ....... to play a Jem, cause so these axes are something special. I agree that the VSBL sells very hard, cause she has the same specs as the VWH and is more expensive. I thought the VWH would go out of production to push the VSBL selling.
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 06:39 AM

I don't think every grunge player should own a Jem. The misconception among a LOT of musicians as I see it is that the guitar is what makes the person good. Obviously that's not true... I think the only reason these grungers are buying high end instruments is because they look pretty, and because they have the money to flaunt.
Ibanez should sign some of these guys over and make some custom RGs or Gios for them. Just enough for a little extra publicty. They did it for Korn, and it hasn't cheapened the Jem any. The only problem is, the good endorsements Ibanez has, such as Vai, Satriani, Gilbert, etc... are people at a much higher level than what the younger generations tend to appeal to. Not to mention, as much as I love Ibanez, a lot of them are grossly overpriced. I can't for the life of me figure out why the 7VSBL costs $100 more without ebony, gold hardware, or abalone... Why doesn't Vai play it live? I think Ibanez knows that putting the 7VWH out the door would be a huge mistake.
Speaking of endorsements, what happened with Petrucci? I know it's probably on some other thread, but I haven't looked through the whole site yet.
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 07:17 AM

Let's clarify some points:

1) I'm sure all of those guitarists out there know exactly what they could do on their guitar, they simply choose not to use it to what you consider it's full potential. Then again, a straight shred player will never use a guitar to its full potential either, since it can also be used for many many styles of music. Simple is not bad, simple is simple. If I was forced to listen to shred all day every day I'd get bored very very fast. I'm glad shred isn't as popular as some people would like it to be, because I personally prefer music that features all the instruments in the band working together for the good of the song, instead of just one instrument (like the guitar) taking all of the spotlight.

2) PRS is not a Gibson clone, as they do things with their guitars that Gibson wouldn't do in a million years. PRS is a company that likes to take the classic design of the Gibson Les Paul model and take it to new levels by adding double cutaway, extra frets, more variety of colours and woods, different pickups, bridges, hardware in general, switching combinations, etc.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Speaking of endorsements, what happened with Petrucci? I know it's probably on some other thread, but I haven't looked through the whole site yet.
Have a go with our Search Function and look for Petrucci and or endorsement style threads. I don't know who would know exactly, but I recall that neither side was able to get what they were after out of the deal and so the relationship came to a close.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 11:29 AM

Now this IS wierd...

On Ishibashi's website, the JemVWH and VSBL both retail for 240,000Y.

Why, then, is the VSBL more expensive State-side, etc.?

Nick
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 11:48 AM

I believe that foreign markets basically set their own retail prices.

Tags
abalone vine , chrome hardware , crystal planet , dome knobs , double cutaway , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony fretboard , fender strat , fender strats , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , gibson les pauls , guitar playing , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , jeff beck , jem custom , jem vsbl , les paul , les paul studio , les pauls , local guitar shop , local music store , matic bridge , music store , parker fly , parker fly classic , pearloid pickguard , playing guitar , production model , rosewood board , rosewood fingerboard , steve vai , super strat , upper fret , upper frets , white pearloid pickguard , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to find how much a guitar is worth without selling it

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode