New JEM7VSBL and old Lo Pro trem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

New JEM7VSBL and old Lo Pro trem

I recently bought a JEM7VSBL with the original Lo Pro trem. I knew that Ibanez was swithching all guitars to the new Edge Pro or Pro II trem but I like the old trem and got a good price. I also have an RG570GR 5+ years old and a JEM 555BK 6+ years old and numerous other guitars (LP 79 Custom, Fender Anniversary strat, etc.) At first I was glad to have the guitar and still am, but then I began too think of a problem. On guitars like Fender and Gibson, parts are no problem, even for the old ones, but what about parts for TRS, Edge, and Lo Pro Edge trems. Will owners of these older trems simply have to junk their guitars for lack of replacement parts in the future when the locking trem posts wear out? I am very gentle on trems and my RG570 has lasted 5+ years and may well last 10 years, but at some point it *will* require replacement parts. Since the new trems will not fit in the old trem guitars, I can see a problem here since I doubt Ibanez will continue to produce old trem parts. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 02:35 AM

I dont know wether Ibanez will stop stocking the bits.

One thing i do know is that there will be parts available from other people, and dealers for a long time yet.

I do think there is any worries of the parts becoming scarce yet anyway.

the.godfather.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 08:26 AM

According to Ibanez, the lo pro edge won't be discontinued. Same happened with the original Edge, which is still for sale, although its an outdated model... As for the parts... Dont worry about them... It figures Ibanez has parts for the coming years... even if you need them, because Edges almost never break lol
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 11:36 AM

I spoke to Jim Donahue about this very thing a few weeks ago. He said they had literally hundreds of them in stock, enough to last several years.

Not sure if they will make more when those run out, but he didnt seem to have any concern of running out of them.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

What parts for the LoPro trem would you recommend to keep the guitar going for 20 years (by then I'll be dead!)? I could buy a complete PC trem and locking nut or just some parts.

Lou
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 05:01 AM

if you ever find that there are no Edge parts left, there's always the Gotoh and the Original Floyds. But doesn't the new trem fit in the old rout?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

As I understand it, the new trem will actually fit the old trem routing but you will not be able to get it intonated properly because it is not positioned exactly the same. Floyd and Gotoh parts will not work with the Edge and LoPro Edge. I have three guitars with Schaller trems and one with a Gotoh trem (I built them myself) and can guarantee you there is very little similarity. In fact, the Gotoh trem I have is about the worst quality I have ever seen. The Schaller trems are very high quality but have the feel of a TRS trem and neither the trem or parts will fit a JEM's trem. I have been able to replace the a stripped head pressure pad screw on the lock nut of an Edge with a screw from a Floyd, but thats about it.

Lou
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUTHEBLUEGURU
As I understand it, the new trem will actually fit the old trem routing but you will not be able to get it intonated properly because it is not positioned exactly the same. Floyd and Gotoh parts will not work with the Edge and LoPro Edge. I have three guitars with Schaller trems and one with a Gotoh trem (I built them myself) and can guarantee you there is very little similarity. In fact, the Gotoh trem I have is about the worst quality I have ever seen. The Schaller trems are very high quality but have the feel of a TRS trem and neither the trem or parts will fit a JEM's trem. I have been able to replace the a stripped head pressure pad screw on the lock nut of an Edge with a screw from a Floyd, but thats about it.

Lou
how much further forward/rearward is it placed compared to the Edge/LoPro?

I meant that he could replace the entire unit with an OFR or Gotoh. I really don't think Gotoh floyds are that bad or Steve wouldn't have used them on his Performance guitars. right? or maybe he would, what do I know... but except for yours, all comments I've read have been positive (which is why I mentioned it).
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

I think it needs to be move forward by 2 to 3 mm (I would have to check again to be sure). Anyway, it seemes to be just enough that it causes a major problem.

I was careful to say the Gotoh trem I have. I got it on sale from StewMac in about 1993 when they were discontinuing carrying them. It doesn't even have hardened knife edges. I don't know about the quality of other Gotohs. The trems they make for Ibanez are certainly high quality. I think replacing the whole trem with another type would cause really major problems with string spacing, looks of the final product, and necessary wood work and refinishing on very nice guitar. It would probably ruin it.

Back to my original point. Parts are currently available for the Edge and LoPro Edge. It seems to me the best thing to do is get some parts that do need to be replaced from time to time to get as much milage out of the discontinued trem/JEM guitar as I can. For example, a few sets of trem posts. My question is "what parts on the trem usually need replacement over time?" Maybe buying a whole trem replacement would be a good idea?

Lou
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 08:32 PM
EKG

There is no need to worry about previous trems....there are PLENTY. The only one that will not be available is a gold edge. Other than that, there is a large stock ;-)

As far as any kind of swapping new trems with previous trems or vice versa, I wouldn't even consider it.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

EKG, this is no disrespect to you but *no one* seems to want too answer my question! What parts on the LoPro Trem do need replacement over time? The fact that there are plenty of parts now may not be accurate 10 or 20 years from now. I keep my good guitars forever (LP 79 custom and 79 anniversary Strat, 24 years and counting).

Looking to the future - Lou
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 10:10 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUTHEBLUEGURU
What parts on the LoPro Trem do need replacement over time?
baseplate (two knife edges), saddles, armholder is the parts that could wear. there is not much wear and tear happening and if you keep the axe setup with fresh posts the baseplate can last decades. New posts fit the old jems. Get some extra parts & screws... not a biggie... glen
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Glen, I appreciate an answer to my question. I'll follow your advice and get some parts and screws as you suggeted. I do not give my trems heavy use and am sure I can get a full and useful life out of the older trem JEMs. In fact I'm sure I'll be dead before they are (I'm a much older player than normal). I just needed a little guidance on parts that wear out.

Thanks!

Lou
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 11:32 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
sure thing. you can see the parts list/diagrams of the LoPro here (if you haven't seen it on jemsite yet)
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/t_ibzpt.htm
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 11:46 PM
Vendor

Honestly I don't see the need for any parts bin planning for 10 years ahead. I fully expect ***Hoshino USA*** to have plenty of parts stock to last at least that long, and if they run out of anything they have the *will* to order more. Now I wouldn't expect any other world distributor to have ANY parts in stock even 3 years from now. I ordered 80 studs from the Japanese distributor, "we sorry, we only have 12 in stock", "errrr, hmmmm, ok". JD ordered 2000 2LE2B's for HoshUSA inventory. Small difference? I think you'll also find there are crossover parts, intonation screws, fine tuners, probably alot of the assembly screws, etc. I don't see any point in ordering a saddle, if you wore one so bad it needed replacing it's likely the other 5 need attention too. And NEVER rule out the used/scrap parts market. Check evilbay anyday and you'll find at least 10 Edge/LP trems in various colors [although, the Vintage Silver on the SBL I wouldn't expect to be readily available this route]

Intonation screws and a string lock block are about all I can recomend for an "emergency" kit. The screws strip easy, and if you've ever tried to find a missing lock block, well, I always had a couple around in case...

Tags
arm holder , edge trem , edge trems , hoshino usa , jim donahue , lock nut , locking nut , lopro trem , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge trems , schaller trem , string lock , trem arm , trem guitar , tremolo arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode