New locking stud pieces? help! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

New locking stud pieces? help!

Hey there, I need some professional help with my locking studs!
I need to know if they need to be replaced or not, to help my tuning stability out. I did some tests to see if my studs or edges where causes bad tuning stability, and it definetly ain't perfect. So my knife edge is a little thick at 5 mm, I am replacing the lo-pro with an edge soon neways. but what i really need advice/help on is the studs. I don't know how to tell if they are good or not. I read Rich's articles on it but I have failed to be able to tell if they should be replaced with the new poles. I will post a bunch of pics, best I could takes, lots of them too from different angles. They aren't perfect but hopefully the amount of pics will give you a good idea. Should these be replaced with the newer poles? BTW these are the original studs on a 1990 777VBK. BTW that macro setting on the camera, really makes my guitar look filthy, it pics up all the dust.

I will post a link instead of posting them right in the forum cus they a big and numerous. Just click the pic in the link to make it bigger. I really appreciate any help I get. thanks!

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=P1000107.jpg

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=P1000104.jpg

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=P1000103.jpg

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=P1000102.jpg

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=P1000101.jpg

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=P1000100.jpg

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=P1000098.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 10:32 PM

Re: New locking stud pieces? help!

They look okay to me, but hey what do i know? LOL. I would say if you're putting a new bridge on you might as well change the polls too! My FP HAD posts that look like those, but i replaced them anyways because they were missing the lock nut in them.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 PM

If you're replacing the bridge why not just go the extra foot and do the studs too?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 09:15 AM

Reviews: 18

I'd say that they need a cleanup. I see a lot of rust in them and the only area that seems clean is the groove where the knife edges make contact with the studs. Either get them nice and clean or order a new set form Rich or Ibanez. If you, however, are buying an edge, why not get a new one? I'm pretty sure the kit comes with the studs as well.

Jimmy
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

well to tell you the truth I would much rather keep it origional as possible (the bridge on there isnt origional). So if new poles aren't goign to help than I would rather keep it origional. Also, that wasn't acctually rust although thats exactly what it looks like in the pics. it jus tthat the black finish scrapped off and its bronzy/rusty color in some spots... silver in other. Its not the "wear" on the studs im worried about because they looking fine... but apparently the new stufd are designed better?

Last edited by Devon8822; 11-14-2007 at 12:56 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon8822 View Post
well to tell you the truth I would much rather keep it origional as possible (the bridge on there isnt origional). So if new poles aren't goign to help than I would rather keep it origional. Also, that wasn't acctually rust although thats exactly what it looks like in the pics. it jus tthat the black finish scrapped off and its bronzy/rusty color in some spots... silver in other. Its not the "wear" on the studs im worried about because they looking fine... but apparently the new stufd are designed better?
What I get from Richs' site is that there was a time frame from X year to X year where the studs where crap. I'm not sure if your year falls into that, but studs are cheap, i would put new ones in and keep the originals. (after all, i don't know who would really get hung up on buying a guitar without original studs).
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

I got the same thing, what exactly is that year though? seems like the crap studs ending in 2001, i think he said, but when did they start?

whats the difference between power cosmo and cosmo black BTW?

Last edited by Devon8822; 11-15-2007 at 09:41 AM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 07:17 PM

5mm thick knife edges? Did anyone else catch that?

If your knife edges are 5 mm thick then the studs should be the last of your worries.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 10:55 PM

yeah...pretty thick. Just a little typo probably. He was probably trying to say 1/2". lol
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

ahh sorry I meant .5mm! BTW can someone tell me the difference between power cosmo and black cosmo?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon8822 View Post
ahh sorry I meant .5mm! BTW can someone tell me the difference between power cosmo and black cosmo?
power has a kind of browning/black/chrome look to it. Black is black. ( i may be wrong, that just my thoughts on it)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 01:49 PM

power cosmo.

cosmo black.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

more questions.

If I need to replace the stud piece, can i just unscrew the old one and put the new one in that easily? or will the threads from the las one be in the wood and I will have to totally re-do the screw hole? or will it go right in fine?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Jem_FP View Post

power cosmo.

cosmo black.
Actually, that first picture is cosmo black. The second picture is just regular black, and powder cosmo looks more silver and matte, like the trems on the dna's.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Ahh thats what I thought too^^

Can someone answer my last question about the studs screwing in the body plz? thanks!

Tags
lock nut , locking stud , locking studs , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode