New Old FP Day - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

New Old FP Day

So after the disappointingly boring (no neon) looking FP2, I fancied an original. Picked up off the bay from a good guy up north, bought in 1988, one owner. Tastefully faded, but in damn good nick. Usual wear on the neck plate, but the trem is in good condition, the tuners and locknut had never been turned, it had the original strings on it! Stuck some new super slinkys on, didn't even need to touch the truss rod, but the with a low action the trem had about a tone max pull up, so a 3 fold shim got it up to 7 semitones standard. The trem arm was high so swapped around all my other edge bars & realised they must of changed the bend sometime, so stuck on a lower one.
Seriously plays like a dream, nuff chat heres some pics

Last edited by andyt; 10-08-2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: pic duplication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Reviews: 39
Re: New Old FP Day

Congrats, Andy! I saw that one on the bay. Very great condition. Glad to know it plays as good as it looks for what he was asking.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 01:43 PM

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 03:57 PM

That didn't come from the US, did it? There was an '88 on the bay recently that I was looking at. Really nice save the neck pocket cracks. I ended up picking up a '91 last week. Just arrived today. Really dirty but in very similar shape to yours. Based on what I've seen with these guitars, I'll have to keep it in the case between playing to keep it from yellowing all to hell like some of the others I've seen.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 05:16 PM

Reviews: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
That didn't come from the US, did it? There was an '88 on the bay recently that I was looking at. Really nice save the neck pocket cracks. I ended up picking up a '91 last week. Just arrived today. Really dirty but in very similar shape to yours. Based on what I've seen with these guitars, I'll have to keep it in the case between playing to keep it from yellowing all to hell like some of the others I've seen.
The one you're talking about had the big chip at the bottom and the funky scallop at the 24th fret right? But it was way way cheap...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Paw

Congrats! The original 77FP is so damn sexy.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 07:05 PM

Awesome, man! Looks great! Those are some of my all-time favorite Jems.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 07:29 PM

Reviews: 25

that kills the FP2
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:49 PM

Reviews: 4

That is pristince, super jealous! The fretboard is gorgeous, like the guy never played it...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 12:11 AM

Fantastic buy. For many years, that was my all-time favorite Jem. I've since leaned toward the LNG, but the FP first gen still is an epic EPIC instrument. Well bought mate!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 01:19 AM

Still my favorite JEM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Simply gorgeous! Congrats.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post
The one you're talking about had the big chip at the bottom and the funky scallop at the 24th fret right? But it was way way cheap...
I believe so. I think it went for somewhere around $1300 eventually. I got mine for $1400. The action seemed a bit sketchy, but the guy had really positive feedback so I rolled the dice and it showed up just as promised. I never post pics of dirty guitars, but once I get a chance to clean it up, I'll post a proper NGD thread.

Congrats to andyt. Beautiful guitar and amazing condition considering the age. I've been playing my new FP today and I'm sure you're as happy as me! This was my absolute favorite guitar from the first time I saw one in 1989 (until I saw a GMC) and I've been really wanting one of these for years.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 06:03 PM

Reviews: 9

I saw that but passed because I didn't like the slightly red knobs - lol petty I know.

It looks awesome, I'll always love the FP's, they're just great guitars.

I miss mine now...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:00 PM

The knobs on mine are definitely the OEM white base knobs. In person they're more orange tinted than red, but you only really notice it when you see it right next to the pink pickups. My guess is this is the exact same thing that happens to old SK's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode