New P'ups in my JEM - ...bridge and middle replaced... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

New P'ups in my JEM - ...bridge and middle replaced...

trials and triblations.

I learn best from my mistakes. *i just hate making mistakes on expensive guitars.

Last night, I stuck my EVO bridge from my RG into the BFP to see if i liked it before I ordered the light blue one. *Went in without a hitch and worked right off the bat. *

Then, i tried to put the TX special into the middle. *That's when i fell flat on my face.

It seems that the Jem single coil is a bit taller than your standard Strat P'up. *The p'up cover is about 1/4" deeper than the strat's too. *So what did i do? *I should've just put the black strat p'up cover in there and lived without the lt blue middle, but NOOOOOOO....

I attempted to push the pole pieces inthe TX up so they'd get thru the JEM p'up cover. *What ended up happening was the whole bottom fell off the TX and some of the winding came loose. *It also disconnected from the solder points. *I put it in anyway, not realizing how badly i'd f'd it up and sure enough, it didn't work at all. *(poor kevan was getting phone calls every 20 minutes last night).

So I hung my head in shame and put the guitar back together without and single coil in it. *

I wrote Steve Blucher from DiMarzio an e-mail telling him what i have, what I play, what's already in the guitar and what i want it to sound like when I'm done and could he give me a recommendation as to how to get that sound out of this guitar (I'm looking for a good funky clean sound with more gain than the JEM single has to offer, by the way)

He recommended the VirtuAL 2 Bridge p'up (yes, for the middle). *I saw on the specs that it has the higest output of the VirtuAL 2 set - I'm guessing that's why he chose that on. *He recommended that I wire it as a single, rather than as a hum.

I went to GC today and picked one up - fortunately, the Virtual 2 is as tall as the JEM single, so there was no issue there. *My buddy there rang it up for $50 and I stuck it in and it's real nice. *(I felt much better about myself when i put it all back together and it worked

I was playing around with it and i now have something I never had before - a cool sound between the middle and the bridge - it could almost pass for an acoustic. *I haven't played it 'turned up' yet since the kiddies are in bed, i'm just using headphones...the true test is on the gig tomorrow night.

I tried to do an A/B sound comparison to post here on the forum, but I just couldn't get it all together and I'd already wasted so much time with these electronics the last few days so I gave up. *Sorry guys

I ordered a Tom Anderson 7 string Single Coil from Warmouth last week - it should be here in the next day or two. *I'll be giving the UV report soon enough. *

I know they have 6 more in stock if there's anyone out there who hates Ibanez Single Coils as much as i do...they're only $56

I wrote to Tom Anderson to get the specs and all he told me was that they're wound to be like a vintage Strat p'up with a little more gain....just what i wanted to hear. :biggrin:

Just thought I'd share that with y'all.

What's the verdict on the Blue PAF-pro bridge p'up i have now? *should i sell it or keep it? *I have someone who wants to buy it...how much should i ask?
~Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 10:46 PM

New P'ups in my JEM

That time frame from "when you totally screw-up your guitar" until you get it fixed is some sad, lonely time.
Almost like watching Old Yeller' get shot again.....
Glad it's smokin' now..
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

New P'ups in my JEM

You have no idea....

Sunday night, I pulled all the electronics out of my RG and put the stock ones back in. *I'd replaced the switch in that guitar a few years ago - just a standard strat switch in there now - I'm pretty sure I screwed up the wiring pretty bad on that one.

Monday night (last night) was when I botched the BFP.

I was playing my UV yesterday afternoon and I broke a B string and was too lazy to fix it at the time.

I looked around me last night - My three guitars...my babies...one had f'd up wiring, one was missing the middle p'up entirely with a TX special which had been working perfectly ready for the garbage can and a UV with a broken string. * Not to mention the hours of wasted time - I thought each guitar was going to take about 40 minutes :idunno:

I was completely despondent knowing that I screwed them all up with my own hands! *Fortunately, Mr. Blucher was prompt in getting back to me (more than i can say about the folks at S. Duncan who i sent the same e-mail to and never got a response). *my downtime was less than 24 hours. *phew!
~kenny

~Kenny

Tags
evo bridge , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode