New to site, want to say hi - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
New to site, want to say hi

Hello everyone, I've trolled through here a few times over the past few years.

Gear

Main -> early 90's jem7v with dot fretboard. I have no idea what it is, but its a 7 for sure. Currently has a GMC paint job, and swapped the pickups out for air norton/tone zone combo. Ebony fretboard is nice, and the whole thing feels "right" every time I pick it up.

Others -> Bought a used jem7vwh last year. Stock, but its cool. Whats weird is my older jem feels a bit heavier and more solid then this. Im pretty sure my old one has a basswood body, and these have alder right? But its obviously an awesome axe.

JS6000 (hard tail) red see through. Signed by the satch man himself on the back. Great great guitar. Picked it up at a local auction for 500$!!!

Fender Strat standard... typical.

now, Im sure you guys are gonna hate me, but I got soooo curious. I bought a Chibanez this week. Im waiting on it to come in the mail. I will be dissecting it and seeing if it's worthy of electronics swap and setups. I would replace the bridge with an edge, swap out for air norton/tone zone, swap the pots, and level the frets. (I can do all this myself no problem, so I would be dumping TOO much money. Bought an edge off ebay for 70$, and I can get the pickups for 120 shipped, and the pots are cheap as ****). I will be showing you guys everything as I do it too. It will be completely dismantled and will have side by side images of the two.

Anyway, just thought Id say hi.

EDIT :

heres an entry for a guitar competition this week.

http ://www .youtube. com/watch?v=a1VXk6hs5zI

close the gap, I dont have enough posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: New to site, want to say hi

hey linux: welcome to Jemsite. If you look around, you'll see some deep rooted hatred for the "Chibanez's" and for good reason. I support your want to explore these guitars, but hope that you'll show the responsibility of never selling it (for a lot of long-winded reasons)

I have worked on one in the past. It was a VWH copy. Because of the neck and trem it was completely unplayable, but did make for a nice backyard bar-b-que (it really was that bad..... not truss rod= archers bow...lol) But maybe an in depth, hands on review would be beneficial for all Jemsiters.

Ryc
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
hey linux: welcome to Jemsite. If you look around, you'll see some deep rooted hatred for the "Chibanez's" and for good reason. I support your want to explore these guitars, but hope that you'll show the responsibility of never selling it (for a lot of long-winded reasons)

I have worked on one in the past. It was a VWH copy. Because of the neck and trem it was completely unplayable, but did make for a nice backyard bar-b-que (it really was that bad..... not truss rod= archers bow...lol) But maybe an in depth, hands on review would be beneficial for all Jemsiters.

Ryc

sure sure, I get that. I would never ever sell one as a real deal. I make too much money for that **** anyway. this one does have a truss rod, so hopefully it will be "worth" the money. Again, I have 2 jems, so its more an object of curiosity. I have the talent and experience to make things work, so hopefully I can make a sweet guitar and not be afraid to beat it sensless when I gig
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:07 AM

that would be really cool to see. I hope that you won't sell it at all (as a real or a fake) only because whoever you sell to might try to sell it eventually as authentic.

Looking forward to seeing pics and a review
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
...... and not be afraid to beat it sensless when I gig
That's one vid I would LOVE to see!!!!! lol
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's one vid I would LOVE to see!!!!! lol

lol Im almost afraid to play my 7vwh. Its in mint condition, and my green one plays just as well. I kinda regret buying it

edit : I'll probably do a "build" thread of it, as long as mods dont close me down! haha
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:15 AM

I don't think you'll have a problem.......... you seem to have your head on straight as far as knowing about these "guitars"
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't think you'll have a problem.......... you seem to have your head on straight as far as knowing about these "guitars"

lol yeah. Do you guys have problems with people contesting quality or some ****? thats gonna be a no brainer lol.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 AM

You'll find opinion sway from one end of the spectrum to the other, but thats all they are, opinions..... Everyone will be cool with you as long as you are with them, which I really don't see being a problem.

We love modding guitars here, as I'm sure you already know. I'm personally looking forward to seeing what you do with it, and a real life review from an experienced modder like yourself would be really valuable IMO.

Ryc
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You'll find opinion sway from one end of the spectrum to the other, but thats all they are, opinions..... Everyone will be cool with you as long as you are with them, which I really don't see being a problem.

We love modding guitars here, as I'm sure you already know. I'm personally looking forward to seeing what you do with it, and a real life review from an experienced modder like yourself would be really valuable IMO.

Ryc

cool thanks for being open about it I think a lot of the problem would be setting things up. My first floating trem gave me so many head aches, I HATED IT... turns out it was an ibanez edge tremolo, one of the best made and solid peices out there. Nowadays I can set up even the most garbage LO-TRSII to play well. I may have to crown the frets, but thats fine. Its cheap but possibly will come out well. Worse comes to worse, I'll put the original pickups back in, set the action super high and get a glass slide.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 02:07 AM

I think the neck will give you the most problems, the one I worked on was just sooo poorly built that it was just completely useless.......... we'll see what you end up getting

If worst came to worst, you could always change the trem route to be whatever you want including a hard-tail. You'd never feel bad about cutting that thing up a little bit, at least not like a real VWH.......lol
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think the neck will give you the most problems, the one I worked on was just sooo poorly built that it was just completely useless.......... we'll see what you end up getting

If worst came to worst, you could always change the trem route to be whatever you want including a hard-tail. You'd never feel bad about cutting that thing up a little bit, at least not like a real VWH.......lol

This one def has a truss rod at least IT really should be fine, Im kinda ancy to get workin on it

Im buyin a PAF pro and Super 3 pickups from dude here, and I'll goto guitar center and get some pots and wire it all together. Electronics, luckily, is a 20 minute fix. Just gotta get that tremolo now... and I'll be good to go
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 03:29 PM

have fun with that build! cant wait to see how it ends.

oh and welcome to the forum!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBZRG1527prestige View Post
have fun with that build! cant wait to see how it ends.

oh and welcome to the forum!

Imma get blessing from the moderators to show you guys a build. I have enough money and resources for both, and can "do it right" and give you guys a complete, albeit, subjective review of both and how "worthy" these things are for young/less afluent guitar players.

Not every can purchase a good, solid guitar. I've personally given ibanez enough of my hard earned money, so I dont feel bad about doing this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 06:26 PM

Can't wait to see it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode