New String Setup - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

New String Setup

I usually use D'Addario EXL110 strings... Guage .010 to .046.

I am going into the studio and the producer has advised me to use a heavier guage of srtring, So I have now got D'Addario EXL115 .011 to.049.

The problem is that due to the increased string tension I can't get the bridge to float paralell to the body... The more I tune up the more the Bridge tilts forwrds. The springs underneath are screwed fully forwards to even it up but not quite enough to get it to concert pitch.

I've also lost the warble effect when you flick the whammy bar!

The guiter is a Jem 77fp with the original Edge Trem

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 05:37 PM

add more springs..
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

I was looking for something a little more in depth than that!!!!!!
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 07:26 PM

Tell the producer to blow it out his ass, use what you're comfortable, don't comprimise your playing comfort, the gauge of your strings will make so little tonal difference on an electric guitar, tell him to string his guitars how he want's and do yours how you like.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 08:21 PM

Ditto what LGM said.

Unless your SRV, I don't think it's going to make that much of a
difference.

If you really need to do it, then yes, add more springs.
If you can't figure that out, then maybe you should be doing it yourself.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 09:27 PM

*JUMPS UP AND DOWN SCREAMING* FOR CRYING OUT LOUD> you dont know what springs are? and you dont see the three big springs in the back of your guitar? and your in the studio? and you own a jem? FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
*JUMPS UP AND DOWN SCREAMING* FOR CRYING OUT LOUD> you dont know what springs are? and you dont see the three big springs in the back of your guitar? and your in the studio? and you own a jem? FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME
How to make a new guy feel nice and welcome!!

I have to say use what you are comfortable using though. A nice compromise would probably be a set of Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings. The plain stings are from a set of 10s the bottom ones are from a set of 11s.

If you do want to add another spring it shouldn't be that tricky. Just adjust the claw until everything is floating as you want it to. See the tech section here for some tips.

Welcome to Jemsite btw
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 01:42 PM

Actually on that note, how many folks here have been using .011's on their basswood JEMs or RG's for at least a year?. A tech once told me that he doesn't recommend 11's on basswood since the wood is too soft for that amount of pressure and has seen them crack. I'd like to know how your guitars' bodies and trems have held up since I like the occasional 11-gauge myself but so far, I only use them on one of my strats. Thanks.

Mike 777 Haug
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 02:59 PM

Ive only see it do that on the cheap ones. If you have the trem post locked they shouldnt wobble on the higher end 500 series and up. Thats typically what causes it.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 01:44 AM

haven't had any problems with my strings...I use D'addario 10-52 sets on two of my Jems. I have a VWH setup with them, and an older 777DY also that way. For the most part, I use the usual 10-46 stuff, but these two guitars filled out better that way.

I wouldn't change guages for a producer either. You've been playing them for some time, gotten a sound with them that way, and your hands are adjusted to playing them. Going heavier may change a few things to a less-than-comfy situation...
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 11:45 AM

...another vote for telling the Producer to cram it with Walnuts. You're not asking him to go into a totally foreign studio to do work so why should he expect you to change something as drastic as a string guage for recording.

If that puts you in a tough situation then I'd just lie to him and tell him that you had it set up with 11's and keep your 10's on there. The odds that he's going to know gauge by feel isn't terribly likely. And if he can...well...tough...he can deal with it.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 01:21 PM

Yeah! I always felt it should be the producer's job to take the atrists' sound and work with it rather than changing it all together. I hate that. The band is "telling the story" not the producer. A good producer is resourceful and will work with what they have. If you are looking to have your music and freedom of expression messed with, consider turning your music into poppy-dance remix, sterile-rhythm stuff, then contract Mr. Shania Twain.

If you are happy with your tone-stick with it. A good producer should know how to get that sound on tape (or disc).

Mike 777 Haug
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys... I went back to my .010-.046 guage and told the producer I wasn't comfortable with the .011's. He was ok about it and the recording went well!

Thanks for the advice!!!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 09:57 PM

Ok, sorry to revive this but I'd rather not create a new thread.

I WANT to use 11's on my GMC but I can't get the bridge to balance. You also can't add more springs to a Lo-Pro as far as I can tell because the retainer bar on the inertia block uses the other two holes for it's screws. I've tightened up the claw as far as it can go but still no good. Is there any way to get stronger springs? maybe mine have just gone soft cuz they've been in there since '92
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 10:06 PM

You'd think any producer worth his pay would have enough tools at his disposal (mics, preamps, compressors, EQ, etc... not to mention a good engineer) to tweak your tone to whatever he wants to hear.

Sounds like a dork to me.

Let him use his tools and you use yours.

Tags
addario exl , edge trem , electric guitar , ernie ball , gauge strings , les paul , retainer bar , string guage , string tension , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode