Ibanez JEM Forum banner

New SWIRL Project!

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Ayrton 
#1 ·
Well, sometime ago I bought a really incredible "DNA CLONE" swirl project guitar from my friend Rikk Beatty.

I was astounded by the colors and the swirl - almost like a real DNA, and that's hard to do. So I tracked down te guy who swirled the guitar - he's an unknown nice guy who likes to keep a low profile- and we discussed building another one.

Well, I received the new one-piece ash body yesterday for the new project!

Check out the ultra-bright colors - and the awesome colors you don't see in the DNA's too....the purple is killing me!

There is no clearcoat on this- it's raw paint. Inagine how it will sparkle after clearcoating!!

Anyway, there's a little run on the back, but I'll get over it. I've got to really let it dry before it gets cleared, in the meantime I'm shopping for a cool neck and hardware.

I'll update as it comes together, but this will be a fun project!

-jemaholic

See less See more
#17 ·
I just hooked up with a local auto painting business - the owner Jim has never cleared a guitar in his 20 years in business and would very much like to try this. He's a little concerned about doing it right, but he's confident he can shoot a 2-stage poly with 4 coats and wet sanding between coats and make it look perfect.

He's giving me a break on the price because
A) he want to try it
B) he's never done one before

I'll be dropping it off next Wednesday. ;^)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.