New Tremolo for 2008 prestiges? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 09:28 AM

Re: New Tremolo for 2008 prestiges?

I'm looking forward to trying the EZ as well as hearing about it from Rich. I hope to hear from Rich first, after he gets to autopsy one of course.

His first thought about the new lock nut has me a little worried (front angle might break strings) but I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch until after these start hitting shelves over the next couple months.

The design looks cool and very low profile.

I do find it a little geeky that we get so excited over these things (hell I get excited over just about anything guitar related even stupid things like cases and cables ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 07:05 AM

Reviews: 4

Do you mean this?

I've seen it quite a while ago...
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 10:54 AM

CG, if you were talking to me, that's not the lock nut I was referring to. I was talking about the one that Ibanez is actually using.

The font angle has been increased on the base, so the strings now bend over that edge. The redesign was done to remove the need for a string retainer bar behind the nut.

If the new lock nut turns out to be a string breaker, I'll be interested in knowing if the old design can be retro-fitted and then possibly re-drilling for the retainer bar also. Time will tell. Richs' site is under maintenance at the moment.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Guitar View Post
Do you mean this?

I've seen it quite a while ago...
No, that was a test bed a few years ago.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
CG, if you were talking to me, that's not the lock nut I was referring to. I was talking about the one that Ibanez is actually using.

The font angle has been increased on the base, so the strings now bend over that edge. The redesign was done to remove the need for a string retainer bar behind the nut.

If the new lock nut turns out to be a string breaker, I'll be interested in knowing if the old design can be retro-fitted and then possibly re-drilling for the retainer bar also. Time will tell. Richs' site is under maintenance at the moment.
Actually, this touches on something I was curious about. Is the angled Ibanez headstock not at enough of an angle to eliminate the need for the string retainer bar?

The reason I ask is my friend's Custom Shop Jackson Soloist doesn't have a retainer bar on it and the headstock angle doesn't appear to be very different from my JEM.

(Sorry if this should be in the tech section, but Screamingdemon69's post reminded me of this.)
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Guitar View Post
Wow, that's pretty cool, is this bridge custom?! Or can you buy one... just curious.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 03:10 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant View Post
Wow, that's pretty cool, is this bridge custom?! Or can you buy one... just curious.
Cool????
That's pretty much the ugliest trem I've ever seen
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt08642 View Post
Good, that linear trem was ugly as sin.
thats for agreeing with me hahah, I hope Steve's trem he is working on kicks some major arse, If steve is happy with it I know I will be too so I'll probably get one. If it is swappable with the EP (which I figure it wont be) but if it is, I might just switch my trem over
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mark View Post
Actually, this touches on something I was curious about. Is the angled Ibanez headstock not at enough of an angle to eliminate the need for the string retainer bar?

The reason I ask is my friend's Custom Shop Jackson Soloist doesn't have a retainer bar on it and the headstock angle doesn't appear to be very different from my JEM.

(Sorry if this should be in the tech section, but Screamingdemon69's post reminded me of this.)
I believe the headstock angle is just right for leaving off the retainer bar and possibly the reason for not havng done it in the past is the angle of the locknut. Ibanez has now redesigned the locknut so the angle now works better to leave off the string tree.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
I believe the headstock angle is just right for leaving off the retainer bar and possibly the reason for not havng done it in the past is the angle of the locknut. Ibanez has now redesigned the locknut so the angle now works better to leave off the string tree.
O.K. Than makes sense. Thanks for the answer.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Question Re: New Tremolo for 2008 prestiges?

I like Rich's explanation on "feel" of the new trem (in another thread), I haven't tried it yet but with all the gagetry in the front and back, I don't believe I'll be a fan of it just from what i've seen so far.

Still the question remains, when will Steve Vai's new trem be released and on what guitar? Jem? I can't see him releasing it on anything else but his sig axe.

Anton Zedd.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Zedd View Post

Still the question remains, when will Steve Vai's new trem be released and on what guitar? Jem? I can't see him releasing it on anything else but his sig axe.

Anton Zedd.
Maybe at Summer Namm if it's ready.

I would think the new trem would have to be on Jems, and because Ibanez just added a new trem to the RG2000+ Prestige guitars, I don't see Vai's new design making it to anything else anytime soon. All speculation of course.

Last edited by screamndemon69; 02-07-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Zedd View Post
I like Rich's explanation on "feel" of the new trem (in another thread), I haven't tried it yet but with all the gagetry in the front and back, I don't believe I'll be a fan of it just from what i've seen so far.

Anton Zedd.
It's piqued my intererst because if you look at it, it could sit on the top six strings of my RG2228 while the bottom two could be hard mounted with two single string saddles... something I've been contimplating for a while now.

Tags
custom shop , edge pro bridge , edge pro bridges , edge trem , jackson soloist , lock nut , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , retainer bar , steve vai , string saddle , string tree

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode