Next Jem to buy after a Jem 10th? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Next Jem to buy after a Jem 10th?

Hi gang, I know it's all entirely and utterly subjective, so I'm just looking for suggestions and observations, rather than dogma Have a bit of fun with this.

Having had my Jem 10 now for a while, I'm thinking of getting another guitar. If I could find a decently priced Parker Fly, I'd get one, but I can't see much else out there that can live up to my Jem 10...apart from another Jem of course A JS Chromeboy would be nice too, but I don't want to have to sell the other half of my brain.

So, opinions: I want yours. What's a nice second Jem (I really like the 7BSB because it's beast to the Jem 10's beauty)? Of course, if there's another must own non-Jem guitar out there that you can recommend please do so - you know, the kind of thing that you feel everyone should at least try.

A big question is: tonally, is there a significant difference between a Jem 10 and 7vwh? I'd certainly consider a vwh if there's something special about it apart from the looks which everyone seems to rave on about (I don't really like the look, but if the playability/sound is special, then I'd consider it).

If you've never seen a Jem 10, believe the hype: it's shockingly playable AND shockingly, ridiculously, insanely beautiful.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 12:25 PM

Get a DBK or DNA. I'd also suggest a PMC. A UV wouldn't be a bad idea. Or my personal favorite, the RGT.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 01:02 PM

Hamand,

Just judging from my own collection (I can't speak to every JEM), I'd get a JEM 90 next. I love mine, it's a fantastic player and everyone who's seen my collection (especially girls ) thinks it's the coolest guitar they've ever seen. VWHs are still being made so no rush to get one, although I do love mine. The FP is one of my "special" guitars. It's the first JEM that I remember seeing Steve Vai with so that's a good one to get for sentimental reasons.

Anyway, this won't be your last so don't fret over the decision too much!

G
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 01:15 PM

I'd have to say my 'tone-wise' you should try a Jem with an airier sound:

*Jem 90
*Jem BSB

or a maple necked JEM:

*BFP
*PMC
*DY
*LNG
*SK

Both are sweet variations on the 10th's configuration.

JC
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 01:16 PM

well if you want a parker (in part for the piezo option i suppose) and a cool ibanez, the choice would be a RGT.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Jeez where to start...

Well if you're after another "Showpiece" guitar I think the JEM90 is pretty damn cool. If you're after a less exotic version, Try out the new JEM7V in blue sparkle, or even the old standby the JEM7VWH, there IS a reason it's been in production for 9 years. There is a sound difference between the JEM10 and the JEM7, it's not much, but you can hear it.

The JEM7BSB has some fantastic sounds on tap from the oiled body. A very raw natural sound that I personally love.

You could also try a guitar of a completely different style, go look at some acoustics, I personally like Taylors and Northworthy guitars on this front. Maybe a Telecaster if you want an electric as far away from the JEM as possible? It might spur you on in different creative directions.

As "Our Graham" would say to "Our Cilla" ... "The choice, is yours"
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 02:26 PM

I would say get a DNA, but its difficult to play without your brain, so a VWH is a good choice, maybe in sparkle blue.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 02:57 PM

I'd suggest that you get a UV this time. PBK maybe?
But if it has to be a JEM then go for the 90th (if it is a collectable you are looking for). Way cheaper than the DNA.
And if it is just another JEM (actually there is no such thing as just another JEM ) that you are looking for I'd say go try the new VSBL out...

Good luck!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 01:41 PM

New guitars are always fun :)

Well, not much can match upto your Jem 10...if your looking for something different, i just got myself a PGM 10th , and thats pretty awesome, not like any other ibanez ive played really, but fantastic. The FP is also great...and the BFB and any of the 77 series, much more vintage original Vai feel to them... the only problem with the BSB is its a bit...burned... :P well the neck i mean, bit wierd if you ask me... but upto you, good luck choosing thiers plenty of great axes out there, and you got one of em already!

Rob
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice chaps. I was at work today, doing absolutely no work, so I don't know why I call it work, but I digress....anyway, I was thinking about Doyle Dykes (best acoustic guitarist ever, and that's not my opinion - it's THE TRUTH!)

I saw him in concert and I almost fell off my seat, because his tone was a joke. If you can imagine (somehow) an acoustic tone as gorgeous and rich and powerful and breathtaking as Vai on FTLOG, then that's halfway there. I was literally blown away and speechless - a Cosmic Experience.. It was one of the 800 series Taylor models, so I'm looking into that.

Aesthetically the BSB is my fave rave after the 10th, closely followed by the BFP. It's great: we all love different Jems, which means we're not all fighting over the same ones. Isn't life wonderful? Spread the love baby. I have no idea what that means.

The Parker is so damn appealing 'cause it's so damn different. The weight and the frets are quite compelling.

I could really really go for the Teuffel Birdfish - guys and gals, do yourself a favour and check this ugly beautiful sexy demon out: http://www.teuffelguitars.de/instrum...h/index_e.html
I've read some incredible reviews of this axe.

Ultimately, I'm looking for something to PLAY. I play the heck out of my Jem10th - I mean I REALLY shred all night and all day on it. I can't put it down - it's so comfortable and liquid. Ah, I'm off to play it now.

Ta ta.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Oh yes, forgot to add in response to the VSBL suggestion. I saw it last Friday in London - it's pretty damn horrid visually IMHO. I have a metallic blue Washburn MG40 that beats it hands down in terms of looks. I didn't feel at all inspired about playing it, so I can't comment on the playability/tone.

But man, is it yuck.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 06:28 AM

The Jem7VWH is the best. Period. Get some kind of 7-string monster or something...or a EBMM petrucci...whatever...
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamand
I could really really go for the Teuffel Birdfish - guys and gals, do yourself a favour and check this ugly beautiful sexy demon out: http://www.teuffelguitars.de/instrum...h/index_e.html
I've read some incredible reviews of this axe.
I don't know if it is just me, but i can't imagine myself playing one of these...
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 11:14 AM

The Teuffel looks like a water cannon for children.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 12:36 PM

You need the showstopper, the magnificent jem 777vbk!!

Tags
acoustic guitar , ebmm petrucci , fender strat , jem bsb , maple neck , parker fly , peavey wolfgang , steve morse , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode