NGD! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Just picked up a sweet new jem locally today, a 777dy. Well, at least she used to be. She used to be owned by charv712 who refinished her, and I picked it up from the guy that bought it from him. Got a sweet deal on it, and I may try and strip the new paint and recover the original paint under it. Anyway, it plays absolutely amazing. I have only played it for fifteen minutes so far and I am completely amazed at its great playability.

Heres a pic (with a lovely natural background ), more to come later!

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae203/Brooks_Carney/jem777lng/img1273347509037.jpg?t=1273537787

Man I love those pyramids. But who doesnt?

Last edited by Jeminizer; 05-10-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 04:25 PM

Reviews: 7
Re: NGD!

This has to be one of the worst refinish I've seen on a guitar. Talk about bad taste !
I hope you can give it back its original looks.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 04:30 PM

Reviews: 15

Looks like some good quality airbrush work, but it's a shame that the detail is obliterated by the empty pickup cavities; I guess maybe it had painted EMGs or something originally?

I'd be wanting either to strip everything back to bare wood (although basswood looks very boring) or go for a full restoration. If you go down the resto' route, though, go for Shocking Pink
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

It is in fact a great airbrush (not graphic I would have picked, but quality work), and it has plastic cover/insert type things that complete her face . Im planning on putting a complete pickup set in, so im not bothering to put them in right now.

As for restoration, the original desert yellow paint is still there under the airbrush (you can see it on a few small chips), and Im hoping that either I or my luthier could strip the new layer and keep the old one intact, because DY is a pain in the ass to replicate. Goes without saying thats hard to do though, so Im gonna have to figure out what Im gonna do next.....

Last edited by Jeminizer; 05-08-2010 at 05:30 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

duplicate

Last edited by Jeminizer; 05-08-2010 at 05:26 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 05:18 PM

Reviews: 2

I thought it looked pretty smexy until I noticed the woman's face. Pretty tasteless imo, even more so considering you can't even see it properly
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 05:18 PM

Reviews: 7

I would try to sand the finish with very very fine abrasive paper, first making some tests on the back of the body to see which grit is better for the job. Then after all the DY color is recovered, I would polish it to give it back its original gloss. As for the headstock, if you're lucky the original decal is still under the clear coat !
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 05:18 PM

Reviews: 18

You definitely need to revive that thing's past. You could always try a local auto-body shop to do the refinish. I'm sure they can concoct something pretty similar to the neon DY finish. Or, you could always send it somewhere for a repaint. The downside to that is the wait.. some people have to wait months, even years... which can become quite ridiculous.

I'm not sure if it would even be possible to revive the DY finish underneath without compromising the finish.. Its definitely worth a shot. That would be the first thing I would try.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 08:22 PM

Ouch boys...some pretty harsh words about a once owned guitar of mine...Elizabeth Banks is a foxy lady.....sure I committed a hate crime to Jem's everywhere, but it was my guitar and everyone makes decisions they regret. That being said, I essentially lowered the price on a quality instrument so that someone else could have a crack at one, haaaaaaa, anyways, Jeminizer, I'm glad you were able to buy that thing, and I'm glad it's in such great playable condition still......whichever direction you decide to go I'm sure it'll turn out great...it is a JEM after all! And, when I last sold the guitar, it came intact with the pickup covers.....somebody must have lost them...which basically ruins the artwork. Anyways. Good luck, have fun

Cale
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 08:43 PM

I'm PISSED!

Its been one after another after another after another after another NGD!

I better get on that 750 I'm looking at.

The 550 i was looking at sold, and the 760 I was looking at sold.

Good luck on getting the old DY back.
Pyramids are awesome. DY is awesome. JEMs are awesome.
You have a potentially awesome guitar!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 08:46 PM

Good luck NATO!!! Your NGD is on it's way I'm sure!! and it will be..........GLORIOUS!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 09:23 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato101010 View Post
I'm PISSED!

Its been one after another after another after another after another NGD!

I better get on that 750 I'm looking at.

The 550 i was looking at sold, and the 760 I was looking at sold.
I think i can smell a jem bass dude!!!
Be cool man...good things happen to those who wait.......and...errr...work their butts off to raise funds to subside their GAS attacks!! Chin up bud
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:16 PM

Did people just get really sick of looking at 777DYs by 1996? Why were so many of those poor guitars butchered? Sorry to be so negative, but it is what it is.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charv712 View Post
Ouch boys...some pretty harsh words about a once owned guitar of mine...Elizabeth Banks is a foxy lady.....sure I committed a hate crime to Jem's everywhere, but it was my guitar and everyone makes decisions they regret. That being said, I essentially lowered the price on a quality instrument so that someone else could have a crack at one, haaaaaaa, anyways, Jeminizer, I'm glad you were able to buy that thing, and I'm glad it's in such great playable condition still......whichever direction you decide to go I'm sure it'll turn out great...it is a JEM after all! And, when I last sold the guitar, it came intact with the pickup covers.....somebody must have lost them...which basically ruins the artwork. Anyways. Good luck, have fun

Cale
Yeah charv, im actually glad you did the paintjob because I got a killer instument for a great price! No matter whats on the outside it is still a killer playing strument and sounds amazing. Personally, I think the neck on the 777's are what are the coolest/best part, and this one is in phenominal shape so I am more than pleased with it. And I dont think the artwork is that bad. No, it would not have been my first choice, by the job itself is damn good. Cut charv a break guys, it was his guitar to do whatever he wanted with!

And btw, the pickup covers are still alive! Just removed. I just laid them on the strings so I didnt have to deal with taking the strings off (I havent decided if Im getting new pups yet so Im waiting to do that) just to get a shot. But you get the picture (pun intended ). Artwork really is much better with them on, I will definatly put them in if i dont refinish her.

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/a...?t=1273537566]

Last edited by Jeminizer; 05-10-2010 at 08:28 PM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Jones View Post
I would try to sand the finish with very very fine abrasive paper, first making some tests on the back of the body to see which grit is better for the job. Then after all the DY color is recovered, I would polish it to give it back its original gloss. As for the headstock, if you're lucky the original decal is still under the clear coat !
Yeah, thanks for the advice I might try that. Has anyone tried to remove a layer but preserve the one underneath and had success? Id be interested to hear how you did it if anyone has. Im gonna go talk to my local luthier soon and see what he says. Im not too worried about the decal, if it gets removed I can always get one online, and no it wont be original but it will be good enough for a refinsh job

Tags
jem777dy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode