NGD - 1991 UV7BK Green Dot + Finish help! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 9
NGD - 1991 UV7BK Green Dot + Finish help!

Ok, we don't get NGD threads very often here, so I thought I would do one :-)

Some of you may know I've been looking for a guitar recently. Well I found one (well, two, but more on that later) and it finally arrived yesterday after two painful weeks of waiting it to come from across the Atlantic - a week of which it spent sat in customs...

Here it is, all the essentials are original (there's an odd nut pressure pad, and different neck plate, switch tip and the output jack).

If anyone has any suggestions as regards the finish, which you may be able to see is quickly crackly in places and looks like it's been exposed to some serious damp, I'd appreciate it. There a quite a few hairline very small, shallow finish cracks that seem to follow the grain - would T-Cut or something buff these out?

Also, I'm pretty sure these things came with a barrel jack (JEM type) right?

1991 Ibanez UV7BK Green Dot Universe.

I just love this thing! Every time I catch a glimpse of it, I have to go pick it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 06:44 PM

Reviews: 34
Re: NGD - 1991 UV7BK Green Dot + Finish help!

Looks cool!

I don't think that t-cut will take out cracks. Shallow scratches in the clear coat only, but cracks probably not. If that is the only issue then I would say give it a go as it doesn't actually hurt.

This cracking or wrinkling looks a bit strange. It almost looks like the body wasn't sealed or the grain filled correctly prior to painting. Is there any chance that it was a refinish? Maybe it is just the pics, but it the paint seems to have that grainy look you sometimes get from rattle cans.

I have seen the markings of linear grain or glue joins coming through on some other guitars, generaly on refinishes or cheaper models (which this clearly isn't!) but never on a high end Ibanez.

If it has been subjected to damp it could have swelled and shrunk a little leaving the creasy, but I would expect to see more rust on the hardware unless it has been replaced.

Either way I bet it plays well. Enjoy!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 07:22 PM

I'm almost positive that's a poor quality refinish. I'd strip the body and have it professionally painted.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:12 AM

Reviews: 2

its possibly been refinished and the paint has dropped back, this is the most obvious reason I can think of, its difficult to tell without looking at it in the flesh.
Best thing you could do is put the guitar outside in natural sunlight, turn off the camera flash and take some more photographs.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:40 AM
NSR

The finish does look kinda funky. Maybe the suggestion of a refinish is accurate? I don't think I've seen paint like that on an Ibanez either.

I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't have a regular barrel jack. It is possible that it was replaced with a stereo jack. Take the jack cover off and check...if so then chances are it may have had EMGs fitted in the past.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

I think it's an incomplete refin, I'll take some pictures then wetsand and cut it in this afternoon, should be able to gloss it out again.

I didn't pay much for it for exacty this kind of reason lol.

Anyone know anyone in the UK who'll refinish the body if I decide to do that?

Last edited by Fun111; 10-13-2010 at 05:50 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR View Post
The finish does look kinda funky. Maybe the suggestion of a refinish is accurate? I don't think I've seen paint like that on an Ibanez either.

I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't have a regular barrel jack. It is possible that it was replaced with a stereo jack. Take the jack cover off and check...if so then chances are it may have had EMGs fitted in the past.
It turns out that it is a barrel jack, it jut has a different tip. The pickups are definitely of the period, as you can tell by the pole pieces on the single coil, and I removed the pickguard last night and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the first time it had been since it was made. The finish was immaculate underneath an even stuck to the pickguard in places. I think the finish is just badly maintained :-S The wear in the finish around the pickguard also matches that onthe pickups and pickguard. I'm starting to doubt this is a refin.

I learn something new about this thing every day lol. It plays and sounds awesome though, I love it to bits, cosmetics would just be a bonus.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

I've got some t-cut, and have given it a bit of elbow grease - I don't appear to be getting very far...

How do other people do this? I'm not leaving it on or anything, literally just applying to a cloth and working in in a circular motion...
Cheers.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I think a strip and refinish is in order! It looks great, but if you want a "proper" finish just redo it.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 05:02 PM

The paint was probably stuck to the pickguard because some guy rattle canned the body and then put the pickguard back on too soon. Seriously, that's not a factory finish. If it were, it would be hands down the worst one that ever left the factory.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 05:21 PM

I own a PWH, my second Universe will be a Black w/ green dots !
Congr(een do)ats !
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

If you ever want to get rid of that--let me know.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Ok so yesterday I decided to experiment.

I figured if it all goes tits up I'm gunna refinish it anyway.

I applied a sh!t load of black T-Cut to the top, worked it in (circular motion) and removed excess, applied Meguiar's 'Swirl and Haze Remover' then Meguiar's 'Mist and Wipe' and after repeating this about 3 times, it's looking a lot better. This is definitely a refinished body, more on that in a minute. Doing this took away a large portion of the grain lines (though still vissible in the right light) and 'Orange Peel' pitting, but it's far from a mirror finish.

Then I had a go a wet sanding a portion of the back. I've never done this before on such a large portion, only ever to touch in small portions of clearcoat. I started at 2000, went down to 1500, then back up to 2000 and then in 1000 grit steps to about 8000, applied T-Cut and did as above. Repeated this twice and that's much much closer to that real mirror finish, however being as I haven't done this before, it's marginally more grey than the rest of the body. Part of this is to do with the rest of the body looking almost wet and sticky - horrible.

This is the first time I've really examined the finish and having seen a guitar progress through the finishing process, I am certain this has been aerosoled with some sort of acrylic based paint then not finished. The paints been applied and sort of sanded in but not all the way. I want to try everything I can to recover the finish before I drop 200 on refinishing it, mostly because it's good practise, but I also don't want to spend that sort of money!

Anyone got any tips for wetsanding? Can anyone go through the procedure or recommend any products? The finish gets better each time I repeat the process however I feel I'm missing a final step that brings it back and fills in the scratching....

Pic's to come.

PS You guys wait til you see the PWH, it's the original finish but it is in BAD shape, lol. However bad you think it is, it's way worse.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:19 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun111 View Post
Ok so yesterday I decided to experiment.

I figured if it all goes tits up I'm gunna refinish it anyway.

I applied a sh!t load of black T-Cut to the top, worked it in (circular motion) and removed excess, applied Meguiar's 'Swirl and Haze Remover' then Meguiar's 'Mist and Wipe' and after repeating this about 3 times, it's looking a lot better. This is definitely a refinished body, more on that in a minute. Doing this took away a large portion of the grain lines (though still vissible in the right light) and 'Orange Peel' pitting, but it's far from a mirror finish.

Then I had a go a wet sanding a portion of the back. I've never done this before on such a large portion, only ever to touch in small portions of clearcoat. I started at 2000, went down to 1500, then back up to 2000 and then in 1000 grit steps to about 8000, applied T-Cut and did as above. Repeated this twice and that's much much closer to that real mirror finish, however being as I haven't done this before, it's marginally more grey than the rest of the body. Part of this is to do with the rest of the body looking almost wet and sticky - horrible.

This is the first time I've really examined the finish and having seen a guitar progress through the finishing process, I am certain this has been aerosoled with some sort of acrylic based paint then not finished. The paints been applied and sort of sanded in but not all the way. I want to try everything I can to recover the finish before I drop 200 on refinishing it, mostly because it's good practise, but I also don't want to spend that sort of money!

Anyone got any tips for wetsanding? Can anyone go through the procedure or recommend any products? The finish gets better each time I repeat the process however I feel I'm missing a final step that brings it back and fills in the scratching....

Pic's to come.

PS You guys wait til you see the PWH, it's the original finish but it is in BAD shape, lol. However bad you think it is, it's way worse.
PM sent.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

I've started wetsanding the back. It's getting very close and in some light is what you'd call 'mirror finish', however I'm still seeing some scratching. Before take it to my luthier friend, anyone any last suggestions?

I went from 1500 grit up to 3000, T-Cut then Meguiars swirl and haze remover. The finish is flat, just showing scratches - did I just not 3000 it for long enough?

Tags
green dot , ibanez universe , ibanez uv , universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode