NGD - Convince me I don't need it - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

NGD - Convince me I don't need it

I've been saving for some time and was looking for a decent priced JS1200 with Lo Pro and/or Edge and quite by coincidence I've landed on a used JS2400 ad on GC website. Compared to what they're going, this thing is priced low so I've called the store it is listed by, and I'm asking the guy if it has the case, case candy etc and he says, "hang on let me make sure, we have two of those in the used department, the one you're asking for, and another one that is $400 more", he goes and confirms it does have everything.

Banking on the 30 day return policy, I went to Rockville store, bought and had it shipped to the store. Wednesday I went there to pick it up and they say Orlando store sent the higher priced item by mistake and they will have to send it back, have the one I've bought overnighted. By the time they tell me this I'm checking the guitar out and obviously disappointed with the situation to say the least. What a man to do? It is a boneheaded mistake and I don't want to benefit from it, I'm afraid karma would pay me back in the end.

Long story short, the guitar I bought came in today. They bring the guitar to me and to my eyes, this looks like the same as the one they've sent back. Both 2011, everything works as it should, and this one comes with QC tags, owners manual etc to boot. The only beauty spot is less than an eight imperfection on paint and/or body near the fore arm contour. No noticeable fret wear, no dings, no nothing.

I absolutely do not need the thing, and let me be honest, at the level I'm playing, i'll probably never need such a guitar, and since I wasn't done saving, I'll be in the hole a couple of hundreds if I don't sell the JS100 or the RG570 I have.

So what would you guys do if you were in my shoes? Would you have bought the damn thing in the first place?

Also, anybody know when these started shipping with the carbon fiber trem bars? Neither of the two had the ultralite trem bar in the cases, only the metal one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (6.6 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 02:30 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: NGD - Convince me I don't need it

Keep it. Having a GREAT guitar can motivate you to play and learn more than a nice guitar ever will................

I think the ultra-lite bar came out last year.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

very good point which I've experienced for the first time yesterday night for a very short time. Not sure it it's helping though .

I haven't changed the strings and worked on the setup yet, but low E actually has lower action than high E and it is the only string that buzzes a little through the headphone output of the pedal. I'll run it through the amp and see how much I should raise the low side of the bridge.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:53 AM

To quote Sir Henry Royce: “The quality will remain long after the price is forgotten”.

That's my justification for most guitar purchases!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
To quote Sir Henry Royce: “The quality will remain long after the price is forgotten”.

That's my justification for most guitar purchases!
The only justification for buying guitars should be the need of making music which only one guitar would be enough.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
The only justification for buying guitars should be the need of making music which only one guitar would be enough.
Thanks for your valuable contribution to the discussion.

Whist I disagree, if you are only going to have one guitar, make it a high quality one - and I mean high quality not necessarily high price.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 10:19 AM

I have to agree with RG's thoughts up above.

Having the guitar that is your own picture of perfection will keep you inspired in a big way.
It is very true that the more inspiring things we surround ourselves with, the better we become.

When I look at my new custom multicolor jem, I absolutely MUST pick it up, look at it, and feel it in my hands. From there I end up playing for hours every night. In just the past 6 weeks alone I have created a bunch of new licks and discovered a few chords and scales I would have never grasped the concept of. It has lifted me out of a few year long stagnant period where I was playing, but not doing anything new.

Some of the stuff I was doing before, I don't even remember now. I'm on a whole new level and could care less. It's like my playing has a new purpose and new life. No seriously.

If you can find a guitar or piece of equipment that inspires you, I would be disappointed to see anyone NOT go for it.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 10:54 AM

Reviews: 18

How much did you pay for it?

Jimmy
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I won't tell my wife where you live

Jimmy, it was $1299 + Tax & Shipping ($1402 all in).
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 04:08 PM

Reviews: 6

honestly i'd find a way to keep it...why?...you may not play at what you consider that level yet but the instrument may help you get to that level by inspiring you to play more...let the js100 go and keep this one...in the long run i think you'll be happier...just my opinion though...d.m.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
I absolutely do not need the thing, and let me be honest, at the level I'm playing, i'll probably never need such a guitar, and since I wasn't done saving, I'll be in the hole a couple of hundreds if I don't sell the JS100 or the RG570 I have.
Keep it. My playing shot up in a couple months after I graduated from my RG350MDX to my JS1200. Everybody's right- the guitar will inspire you to keep going, even just by its sound alone.

Making music isn't a contest. Sure you might not be as 'good' as somebody else, but it's all about how it sounds. If you feel good playing and listening to that guitar, keep it and sell the others. I know from practicing trumpet for countless hours that the most important thing to getting through ruts in practice is your attitude.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 05:36 PM

if you want to sell one of them, keep the 2 that play the best. Otherwise, keep them all. GAS is GAS. We've all been there.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatchMo' View Post
Keep it. My playing shot up in a couple months after I graduated from my RG350MDX to my JS1200. Everybody's right- the guitar will inspire you to keep going, even just by its sound alone.
I don't know if it is the way it is setup or just the slight differences in the build quality, this one really feels more playable if it makes sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
if you want to sell one of them, keep the 2 that play the best. Otherwise, keep them all. GAS is GAS. We've all been there.
I'd like to keep them all, but having started with nylon string classical guitar in my teens, I got started with huge necks, maybe because of that I've never been comfortable with the RG. I think if one needs to go it may be that one.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:39 PM

You should not be ashamed or even question having a great guitar. You will be amazed at how much having a great guitar will both inspire you and help you keep coming back.

And..as you progress, you will realize how great a guitar actually is and how crappy guitars that you thought were great really aren't.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:57 AM

Keep it, I thought my les paul was an awesome guitar however my playing wasn't that great, Then i got my js1000 and i realised the les paul was a piece of driftwood and my playing was awesome. Having a high quality guitar makes a huge difference, my playing instantly improved but since i have had the js my playing gets better all the time, i put this down to the js being an amazing guitar to play and i need to do the guitar justice by constantly learning new stuff.

You wont regret keeping it, but you will regret letting it go

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode