NGD: Finally bought a JEM 7VWH - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

NGD: Finally bought a JEM 7VWH

I have been a member here over a decade but I always stayed in the RG series until now. I recently traded a JPX for a 2008 JEM. I have a RG7620 but I haven't had a 6 string Ibanez as my main guitar for years.
I love the guitar (I've always wanted one) but there is one issue....the pickups. I will be swapping those out as the Evolutions are just too "focused" for me.
Anyway...picture below
https://flic.kr/p/QuzHti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: NGD: Finally bought a JEM 7VWH

Welcome to the club

You right about the pickups, they seem to be a love 'em or hate 'em thing I love mine, but would not want them in every guitar!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 04:50 PM

Excellent choice. I love playing my 7VWH even more than my '89 JEM. I agree about the pickups. I plan on swapping out my pups as soon as I can decide between PAF Pros and Gravity Storms. Well between the decision and having the spare $$$.

Congratulations on your JEM!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 05:51 PM

Awesome news on getting your JEM....I got my 97 JEM 3 months ago and love it
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 06:12 PM

I'm telling you guy's I have the Evo's in my 7vwh also, but I put a pair of Gravity Storms in my Jem 10th and there the best sounding VAI pups that he made. Not just for his tone, but for just about anything, rock/blues/metal/clean/ etc.........
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:47 PM

I love the 7VWH so much, I have two. And, I have Evolution bridge pickups on order for my 77VBK and 77BRMR as well. I just love the way they respond, the overtones. I recommend keeping the guitar as is and getting the most from those evolutions....they are so amazingly responsive and sensitive to every nuance of your attack. And they will sing, cry, bleed, weep....all dependent upon how you alter your pick and where you hit the string.

Last edited by JemSLO; 12-29-2016 at 09:43 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemSLO View Post
I love the 7VWH so much, I have two. And, I have Evolution bridge pickups on order for my 77VBK and 77BRMR as well. I just love the way they respond, the overtones. I recommend keeping the guitar as is and getting the most from those evolutions....they are so amazingly responsive and sensitive to every nuance of your attack. And they will sing, cry, bleed, weep....all dependent upon how you alter your pick and where you hit the string.
Dont you like The Breed that came standard with your BRMR Jem??
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouto17 View Post
Dont you like The Breed that came standard with your BRMR Jem??
For some reason, i'm just not into the Breed bridge pickups in my 77VBK and 77BRMR guitars. I think the Evolution pickups just respond so much better for lead applications. There's just something in the response and pick attack that just gets me that I don't find in the Breeds. However, I was totally into the Duncan Distortion pickup back when I was an ESP M-II player, so maybe I just prefer ceramic magnets? Or maybe I'm addicted to that dual resonance patent thingy Dimarzio has, as I also love the Tone Zone that I had installed in the bridge of both of my PGM guitars.
My amp is a Soldano SLO100, and I just use an Ibanez TS9 for a boost on occasion. All I know is that that those Evo pickups give me goose bumps with the amazing sustain and overtones that kick in at times during live gigs. Like a choir of angels descends on sustained notes or something. I almost compare it to a violin,,,,that sustain and sing. Plus, these pickups sure make sure your picking technique is without clams, too. They won't let you get away with anything sloppy. At least for me,the evolution bridge is just the most expressive and amazing bridge pickup I've ever played in over 32 years of full fledged guitar obsession. I remember when I got my first Jem7Vwh back in 2006,,,,I was playing it through my little Crate G60 practice amp late at night in my kitchen, and I kept experiencing this harmonic overtone bliss/blossoming on certain notes that I'd never experienced before. I've been loving it ever since.

Last edited by JemSLO; 12-31-2016 at 09:48 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:43 AM

I like my evo's, in my 555 and my 7v. I like em better than the seymour duncans I've had, and the X2N's, as well as DiMarzio Super Distortions which have always been the ****.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:23 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mclaughlin View Post
I'm telling you guy's I have the Evo's in my 7vwh also, but I put a pair of Gravity Storms in my Jem 10th and there the best sounding VAI pups that he made. Not just for his tone, but for just about anything, rock/blues/metal/clean/ etc.........
I got Gravity Storms in a JS1000BTB that I didn't love the sound of and it sounds great now. I second the vote on those pickups.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:09 AM

As I mentioned earlier (post #3) I am definitely swapping out the EVOs in my '00 7VWH as soon as the opportunity presents itself. I got my 7VWH just two or three weeks after getting my first JEM which was an '89 77FP. Anyway, after plugging in my 7VWH it sounded quite excellent. The EVOs are very good pickups. That being said, shortly after that I played my JEMs back to back. Gadzooks the PAF Pros in my '89 just blew away the EVOs. I am not saying the PAF Pros are better pickups, but for my style of playing they are. I generally play rock from the 70's, 80's, and 90's through a couple Swart amps (if unfamiliar think 50's Fender tweeds) usually plugged straight in, but occasionally with pedals. For that a PAF style pickup is just ideal. Now if my playing style leaned more towards shredding into a high gain amp I would definitely keep the EVOs.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:46 PM

Congrats! One of my favorites.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:52 PM

Reviews: 10

Congratulations man!!! beauty guitar! I actually liked the EVO pups in the Jem I had but you do need to EQ your amp a little bit differently for the EVOs if you're used to using a darker Dimarzio like a TZ. The EVOs cut through a band mix well =)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode