NGD Ibanez uv70p - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

NGD Ibanez uv70p

Hello!
I took it out, made some basic setup, truss rod mainly + tightening the trem screws.
It started with somewhat mixed feelings,
- i liked the sound,
- the feel,
- the weight,
- the balance,
- the fretwork,
- the strength of the neck (KTS titanium rods)
- the harmonics

but :

1) for some reason G saddle seems a tad higher, making the whole G a little higher than the rest
2) it has some misalignment regarding offset from strings to fret ends, shown here :

3) also some misallignment on the level of neck pup shown here :

which just didnt wanna come straight level no matter the pressure from the side
4) the action height, was just too high, I screwed the studs all the way down, but still the action was high, somewhere in the range of 2mm low B, 1.5 high E @24th fret.

I struggled a lot (4-5 hours) trying to find the magic way that this thing would actually tune, when i started losing faith, till I suddenly felt the strat-syndrome and just took the tools out for a proper setup.
Opened up the neck and i found that it had some shim already in, which was lost in the cavity, there is no neck stop like in strats, the neck is held only by the screws. So i decided to follow the old way of shimming. In my haste to having the guitar playable as fast as possible, i installed just a paper shimm which was enough for the job, although i am gonna redo it seriously next time.

The results :
- i got the action real low, silly low i'd say :1.4mm low B, 1mm high E @24th fret *without* buzz, hey that's a deal maker!!
- suddenly and without any pressure at screwing the neck, the string offset issue now seems gone
- also suddenly, the neck pup alignment issue was gone as well!!, cause frankly the neck pup comes in contact with the heel of the neck. I considered this as a sign of the gods of metal, so this was very important!

then i spent about an hour in full shredding mode.

Overall, i ultra dig this axe... after ..... about 7 hours of struggling to make it playable! I think its a keeper for sure.

Expect a proper NGD post to come next!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 08:04 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: NGD Ibanez uv70p

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
Hello!
I took it out, made some basic setup, truss rod mainly + tightening the trem screws.
It started with somewhat mixed feelings,
- i liked the sound,
- the feel,
- the weight,
- the balance,
- the fretwork,
- the strength of the neck (KTS titanium rods)
- the harmonics

but :

1) for some reason G saddle seems a tad higher, making the whole G a little higher than the rest
2) it has some misalignment regarding offset from strings to fret ends, shown here :

3) also some misallignment on the level of neck pup shown here :

which just didnt wanna come straight level no matter the pressure from the side
4) the action height, was just too high, I screwed the studs all the way down, but still the action was high, somewhere in the range of 2mm low B, 1.5 high E @24th fret.

I struggled a lot (4-5 hours) trying to find the magic way that this thing would actually tune, when i started losing faith, till I suddenly felt the strat-syndrome and just took the tools out for a proper setup.
Opened up the neck and i found that it had some shim already in, which was lost in the cavity, there is no neck stop like in strats, the neck is held only by the screws. So i decided to follow the old way of shimming. In my haste to having the guitar playable as fast as possible, i installed just a paper shimm which was enough for the job, although i am gonna redo it seriously next time.

The results :
- i got the action real low, silly low i'd say :1.4mm low B, 1mm high E @24th fret *without* buzz, hey that's a deal maker!!
- suddenly and without any pressure at screwing the neck, the string offset issue now seems gone
- also suddenly, the neck pup alignment issue was gone as well!!, cause frankly the neck pup comes in contact with the heel of the neck. I considered this as a sign of the gods of metal, so this was very important!

then i spent about an hour in full shredding mode.

Overall, i ultra dig this axe... after ..... about 7 hours of struggling to make it playable! I think its a keeper for sure.

Expect a proper NGD post to come next!
I've said almost exactly this in a few threads concerning Indonesian guitars. These are great workhorse guitars IF you have the time, tools, and knowledge to finish what the Indonesians didn't.

Glad to see you got it all working. How is the fret leveling?
post #3 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Hey RGTFanatic thanx,
the fretwork is very good. The fret edges are smoothed, and the leveling is also very good. I had uniform buzz at very low action. Overall the fretwork on this one, is better than the nice work my luthier did on my strat. So what they advertise about "premium" fretwork treatment, i guess is true.

Anyways, all night i hated the idea of the shim. So i woke up early and removed the shim. I screwed the neck back in, and noticed that without the shim i could get the action as low as i wanted, which points that this was not a design problem, but rather a completely inadequate paper shim installation at the factory. The original shim, is now somewhere in the pickup cavity. I also noticed that somehow the neck pup housing is contacting the neck, so this creates this non-level angle of the neck pup, but this is not a great issue. I was wandering however that since there is no neck-heel stop, one should never screw the neck without completely loosening the strings, other wise the heel might come in contact with the neck pup and/or cause intonation problems. I'll this again when i get home. So the shim was not needed.

Now, my next two issues are :
1) slightly high action at the nut for the 3 high strings, what are the common solutions for this? Filing the nut shelf a little bit, or the nut's base?
2) slightly raised action on G as compared to B,D and A. B has the lowest of those four, then D, then A, then G, which does not feel very right. Out of those the G,D,A seem to have the same nominal size, so i think of swapping D->G, G->A, A->D. This will also be a test regarding the strength of the plate. (i have 14 days withdrawal right, 30-days moneyback, and 3-years guarantee, i guess i am covered to do this)
post #4 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Banned

more pics!

post #5 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Just checked the trem this morning. Checked G and B saddles side by side, even swapped them, but didn't notice any difference. Will have to check better tonight. Now as I disassembled the trem, I have to say, that this is a smart design, which have some improvements over OFR or Schaller. I don't have experience with the high-end Ibanez trems, but the Edge Zero-II-7, has :
- a really clever and accurate string locking mechanism, instead of those generic OFR string holding blocks
- has the stud locking feature
- the O-ring shaped cut on the stud for the knife edge to sit
- the ability to lock down the springs to the trem block

It also is heavy, and the metal seems much better than those old Asian licensed FR. It reminded me of Gotoh metal, as far as look and feel is concerned. When tightening the saddle lock down bolts, i took care not to overtighten, and for this i used the long edge to insert into the bolt head and the short edge to hold with my hand. I did notice some softness there, which could be attributed to the elasticity of the alen key, but i also noticed that the thickness of the plate is greater than the average floyd plate.

Also, i reinstalled the neck in order to have a clearance with the neck pup. And i think intonation improved a little bit!

Last edited by panix; 10-17-2014 at 05:53 AM.
post #6 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 04:49 AM

On older AANJ, Ibanez set the neck about 3 or 4mm lower than the Neck pickup cavity; are you saying they are at the same height?
If that is true, I can see how the shim fell into the pickup route.

It sounds like you've eliminated the saddles as the problem and the trem all together.
I'm guessing they put the frets in and didn't do a fret leveling, they just filed the ends to save time.
post #7 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
On older AANJ, Ibanez set the neck about 3 or 4mm lower than the Neck pickup cavity; are you saying they are at the same height?
If that is true, I can see how the shim fell into the pickup route.
Yes, same level, there is nothing between the heel pocket and the pup cavity.

Quote:
It sounds like you've eliminated the saddles as the problem and the trem all together.
I'm guessing they put the frets in and didn't do a fret leveling, they just filed the ends to save time.
If this was a fret problem (nut is less relevant), then it wouldn't have this jump in adjacent strings from G to D, maybe 0.1->0.2 mm, even in guitars with completely crappy fret leveling this would not make sense. Anyway, i will check tonight by swapping G and D, maybe the problem in the plate's stepping? I will revert with any findings. Cross fingers its not smth major.

Now about fret leveling, actually i think this is very good. The frets are perfectly rounded and shining. Lets see.

Thanx for your help. I will revert as soon as i have smth new.
post #8 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Problem was a washer slipped under the saddle. All saddles are same height. Radius is implemented by plate stepping, so the radius is built in the trem. Those washers are easy to slip under.

Now regarding the fretwork, here is a close up:

post #9 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 05:28 PM

Is it all good now?
post #10 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Problem was a washer slipped under the saddle. All saddles are same height. Radius is implemented by plate stepping, so the radius is built in the trem. Those washers are easy to slip under.

Now regarding the fretwork, here is a close up:

Wow that's some really nice fretwork! Ibanez is really stepping up on their Indo factories.
post #11 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Is it all good now?
I think so!
post #12 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafafas View Post
Wow that's some really nice fretwork! Ibanez is really stepping up on their Indo factories.
The neck in its entirety is very good. Very stiff and strong. The fretwork is also the best I have ever seen . Now i have the following setup :
- relief almost zero, below 0.1mm
- height of high E @24 fret : 1.1mm
- height of low B @24 fret : 1.4mm
And it is buzz free, plenty of harmonics (natural, artificial).

However, I dont like its rythm tone so much in drop tune "nu-metal" amp settings. The guitar is very stratty and pronounces treble. It seems like this guitar pronounces those mid to high frequencies needed to make it sound clear and defined. The clean sounds are very good. It is nice for rock and metal, and almost everything, except those drop down nu-metal riffs kind of sound, which i happen to like. But maybe its the pups. Those blazes maybe were not for nu-metal. Also, i cannot expect nice riffs when the low .54 B has that low action
post #13 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 06:02 AM

Sounds like the setup is god, you just need different pickups for you playing style.

Dimarzio D-Activators!
post #14 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Sounds like the setup is god, you just need different pickups for you playing style.

Dimarzio D-Activators!
only if they come in green!
post #15 of 307 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 01:09 PM

Smile Re: NGD Ibanez uv70p

Quote:
only if they come in green!

They do, Green with Black poles just like the Dimarzio Blaze pickups that come in the UV70P.

Tags
action , ibanez , setup , shim , uv70p

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode