NGD JEM 777 LG 30th Anniversary - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Cool NGD JEM 777 LG 30th Anniversary

I just got the JEM 777 LG 30th Anniversary, it was a pleasant thing getting it out of the box. I inspected it very carefully and found a neck paint crack.

The seller was understanding and gave me 10% discount, I know its too little for a 3.5k instrument but I intend to play it, so I chose to keep it. I missed the opportunity of getting mine from Rich, and this is is the result... The moral of the story is buy your Ibanez guitars from Rich and don't cancel limited edition orders from him. On the bright side, this is a way to get that fear of scratches out of the way from day one.

The JEM seems to be setup quite well out from the factory. I won't be able to give it too much love until next week but maybe Ill post a video if I leave the shyness to the side. But for now here are the pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 03:13 PM
Vendor

Re: NGD JEM 777 LG 30th Anniversary

Any setup would have been tweaked in Bensalem, they're all over the place out of the box.

But,

Thanks for cancelling because I was oversold and sold mine, which ihanks to you is now resting with it's sisters
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Well I am quite happy with it... Thank you for the help! I am glad u got one thanks to me lol.

Something I noticed right away was those 2mm between the RG655 and JEM neck make a very noticeable difference, it is so noticeable to me that I am going to sale the RG655. Am I being deceived by the shiny JEM or do everybody else feels the difference in the neck?
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 03:50 PM

Reviews: 3

Do you refer to de 58 mm neck pocket; I hate it. Mine does not receive very much pkaytime due to that.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100 View Post
Do you refer to the 58 mm neck pocket; I hate it. Mine does not receive very much playtime due to that.
Nah, I refer to the thickness of the neck and radius.

JEM 777

c : Thickness18mm at 1F
d : Thickness20mm at 12F
Radius :430mmR
Electric Guitars JEM/UV - JEM777 Steve Vai | Ibanez guitars

RG655
c : Thickness17mm at 1F
d : Thickness19mm at 12F
Radius :430mmR
Electric Guitars RG - RG655 Prestige | Ibanez guitars

damn... its only 1mm, must be the shiny JEM making me believe the Neck feels different.

From the neck pocket I have not noticed any problems, other than the hairline crack in the paint.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 04:16 PM
Vendor

That crack is in the wood.

I never notice the 1mm, but many will complain to no end about it [and that 2mm width]
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Ohh well... that sucks.

Quote:
I never notice the 1mm, but many will complain to no end about it [and that 2mm width]
Well lets see if the difference I feel fades away with time.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 10:05 PM

Congratulations on your new Jem. Mine too had a neck pocket crack. I sent it back and am waiting for a replacement. Like Rich said, the crack is very likely through the wood.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algorithmsjoe View Post
Ohh well... that sucks.

Well lets see if the difference I feel fades away with time.
Ideally, yes, "no cracks in the wood" would be preferable to "cracks in the wood." Oddly enough, cracks are not the life or death of an instrument, not by a long shot. Your JEM is not the first one to have this happen either, so you are in good company. I realize it still sucks though.

"Millimeters and milliseconds matter in music." I do not think it is unusual for different guitar necks to feel noticeably different, quite the opposite. In fact, I noticed your 7 string on the wall, the specs are measured in millimeters and they are not much different than your RG655 or JEM. I imagine it feels different to play though, correct? Shiny JEM's can deceive the mind, but nothing can really deceive the fingers.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 02:01 AM

Congrats man!

And I guess it's cool that you got a 10% discount. That's like $350 dollars back for something that'll quite likely happen to most of them anyway. Even if the crack got worse (which it probably won't) it'd be an easy fix for a tech. I agree it's a bummer for people looking to buy investment grade instruments, but if you plan to play it, that $350 is a bit o a bonus!

Enjoy
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 04:55 AM

Reviews: 3

Quote:

I feel that the neck D shape (18-20 mm) is superb, it doesn't bother me changing from an original wizard or super wizard to this new neck on 777 30th's; in fact the 19-21 mm C shape of the original 7V was a big bug for me because I prefer the wizard profile. But having to stretch my hand (mr. little fingers here!) to compensate the 2 mm increase on the neck pocket is the worst thing I ever felt on an Ibanez. So, yes I will complaint forever about that... no more Ibbys for me past 2010 (and if I buy another they will go on display).
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:20 AM

It's less about the difference in thickness and more about the difference in profile. The Jem profile is pretty different than the Super Wizard HP and I notice a big difference.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 09:32 AM

Congratulations on your lovely new guitar, it is lovely, and I'm glad you got a bit of a discount and the damage isn't too bad.

An LNG JEM was always my dream guitar, sadly could never afford one then and now. Here in the UK they are going at about the value of my car - could never justify such a purchase to myself or Mrs '87 (who struggles anyway with why I have 5 guitars and not just one, hahaha!).

If there was an LNG RG I'd be seriously tempted even if it was a GIO. For now I'm happy with my radioactive green S1 25th

'87
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
It's less about the difference in thickness and more about the difference in profile. The Jem profile is pretty different than the Super Wizard HP and I notice a big difference.
This. Even though it's only a 1mm difference on paper, I think it's the overall shape that you are preferring on the JEM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100 View Post
I feel that the neck D shape (18-20 mm) is superb, it doesn't bother me changing from an original wizard or super wizard to this new neck on 777 30th's; in fact the 19-21 mm C shape of the original 7V was a big bug for me because I prefer the wizard profile. But having to stretch my hand (mr. little fingers here!) to compensate the 2 mm increase on the neck pocket is the worst thing I ever felt on an Ibanez. So, yes I will complaint forever about that... no more Ibbys for me past 2010 (and if I buy another they will go on display).
Didn't the 58mm heels come in to play around 2005?
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:01 PM

I need to figure out how to take impressions of necks so I can trace the profile.

Tags
30th , 777 , jem , lng

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode