NGD Jem 777Lg 30th - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
NGD Jem 777Lg 30th

https://www.guitarristas.info/fotos/...user_id=499802

Pic of my new 777 Lg with her 777 sisters ('91 Vdy, once property of fellow Jemsiter Jemaholic and '87 Sk).

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 12:26 PM

Re: NGD Jem 777Lg 30th

Very nice! The vines on rosewood are so nice, I would love to get a 777VBK, or dare I say, a 777VSK.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluewookieJim View Post
Very nice! The vines on rosewood are so nice, I would love to get a 777VBK, or dare I say, a 777VSK.
Then you are loving this one:

https://www.guitarristas.info/fotos/...user_id=499802
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 08:55 PM

Yeah, that would def be near the very top of my wishlist. I've never even seen one in person.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 12:45 PM

Finally received my 2017 30th Anniversary JEM 777 LG. I ordered it from AMS in January and received it last week (Aug 10th). About time, right? Anyway, I thought I'd give my 2 cent's worth on the guitar. First off, I'd like to mention that I used to own a 1989 JEM 777 DY and a 1990 Universe 77MC (Darren Johansen ATD swirl) but sold both to order a new Veleno Original aluminum guitar, so I can give a fair comparison on the original and the reissue. I'm actually impressed with the quality of the 30th Anniversary guitar. It's built and put together exceptionally well. The neck is Awesome and with the volute that Ibanez has on all their current and the last 10 (plus or minus) years is a major improvement for strength and stability. So, I'm glad the 30th Anniversary has the volute. Also, the neck feels amazing. Super smooth and doesn't have that annoying clear coat varnish like the Premiums have. The action is super low and there is no string buzz or fretting out. The paint is flawless and the color is eye popping. Very well built guitar. My only gripe is, for the street price of $3,500 Ibanez could have used the same neon painted volume and tone knobs and hot pink selector switch tip like the originals. Standard plastic yellow knobs and magenta color selector switch tip is bogus for that amount of money. Luckily, I found someone on ebay who makes those neon color painted knobs and I will be replacing the standard plastic knobs with those painted ones. Closer to the original JEM's and an upgrade to my 30th Anniversary as far as I'm concerned. Cool case candy, i.e., Ibanez multi-tool, 3 (pink, green, yellow) Steve Vai guitar picks, 2 whammy bars (standard Edge and new Ultralite), standard 3mm allen wrench) and a cool 30th Anniversary logo plate mounted in the hard case. I gotta agree that these reissues are pricey, but I've always wanted a Loch Ness Green JEM and with the upgrades made to the 30th Anniversary models, I had to jump at the chance for this fantastic guitar.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:49 PM

Hey, can you share the link/vendor name for those knobs... by private messaging to not break any rules. Thanks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designrol View Post
Finally received my 2017 30th Anniversary JEM 777 LG. I ordered it from AMS in January and received it last week (Aug 10th). About time, right? Anyway, I thought I'd give my 2 cent's worth on the guitar. First off, I'd like to mention that I used to own a 1989 JEM 777 DY and a 1990 Universe 77MC (Darren Johansen ATD swirl) but sold both to order a new Veleno Original aluminum guitar, so I can give a fair comparison on the original and the reissue. I'm actually impressed with the quality of the 30th Anniversary guitar. It's built and put together exceptionally well. The neck is Awesome and with the volute that Ibanez has on all their current and the last 10 (plus or minus) years is a major improvement for strength and stability. So, I'm glad the 30th Anniversary has the volute. Also, the neck feels amazing. Super smooth and doesn't have that annoying clear coat varnish like the Premiums have. The action is super low and there is no string buzz or fretting out. The paint is flawless and the color is eye popping. Very well built guitar. My only gripe is, for the street price of $3,500 Ibanez could have used the same neon painted volume and tone knobs and hot pink selector switch tip like the originals. Standard plastic yellow knobs and magenta color selector switch tip is bogus for that amount of money. Luckily, I found someone on ebay who makes those neon color painted knobs and I will be replacing the standard plastic knobs with those painted ones. Closer to the original JEM's and an upgrade to my 30th Anniversary as far as I'm concerned. Cool case candy, i.e., Ibanez multi-tool, 3 (pink, green, yellow) Steve Vai guitar picks, 2 whammy bars (standard Edge and new Ultralite), standard 3mm allen wrench) and a cool 30th Anniversary logo plate mounted in the hard case. I gotta agree that these reissues are pricey, but I've always wanted a Loch Ness Green JEM and with the upgrades made to the 30th Anniversary models, I had to jump at the chance for this fantastic guitar.
More or less what I think about the axe, but the most annoying issue to me is the 58 mm neck pocket. I don't like it being that wide. I have a NOS original yellow 80's knobs I bought to replace the dirty ones on my '87SK but they are going to stay on the LG 30th. The neck is superb but the frets on mine had some serious buzzing on the G string above the 20th fret so I returned mine for proper fret dressing (after 6 months of waiting) that has not completely solved the problem. Morever mine has a neck joint crack on the bass side.

I also had prefered an exact replica of the original necks, but I agree that the feel of the new ones is superb (I like thin D shaped necks like those on the 30th's).

Last edited by vy100; 08-14-2017 at 04:15 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designrol View Post
) but sold both to order a new Veleno Original aluminum guitar, .

Duuuude. Do you still have this, can we see pics?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 11:08 AM

Sure thing! I don't have too many pic's of it. I should, but I can post what I have. The Veleno is part of my Mark Farner collection. You'll see one of the pic's of all 4 of my Farner guitars that I currently have. The of me holding the Veleno up with White pickups were Dimarzio Tone Zone but those were too high output for that guitar. The body is hollow (routed out) and created too much feedback. So, I sent it back and John Veleno replaced them with a Seymour Duncan set his likes to have standard on his new guitars.

I hope the photos and/or links uploaded correctly. For some reason, I couldn't get the image of my Farner collection to drag and upload. So, I hope the link to my facebook works for you.

DesignRol

&set=a.148935951801165.24021.100000542836074&type=3&theater[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My NEW Veleno.jpg (58.4 KB, 23 views)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 11:11 AM

Well, that didn't work. I'd like to attach the Farner collection on here, but it just won't upload for some weird and frustrating reason.

Tags
777 lg 30th , 777 sk , 777 vdy , jem , neon jems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode