NGD - JEM 777SK 30th - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Italy
Posts: 6
NGD - JEM 777SK 30th

Hi everyone

the SK I ordered in January is finally here, and I wanted to share a couple of pictures (I'll take more soon).







It's very hard to take a good picture of this guitar, because the color looks different in photos, and it also changes quite a lot if you shoot with flash on or off... But the closest to the original color in real life is the shot of the headstock. I'll try to take better pictures tomorrow in different lighting if anyone's interested.

I played it a little, and I have to say that it's very very "soft" and playable, more than my FP2 (even though they should be pretty similar).

It's my 4th JEM, but my first limited, which means that my GAS is now officially incurable.
MajorTom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-15-2017, 07:31 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 38
Re: NGD - JEM 777SK 30th

Congrats!
Tyrone Biggums is offline  
Old 05-16-2017, 06:29 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Valencia, Spain
Posts: 778
Reviews: 3
Re: NGD - JEM 777SK 30th

Gorgeous!
vy100 is offline  
Old 05-16-2017, 07:44 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 148
Re: NGD - JEM 777SK 30th

My FP2 was a little neck heavy. How is the 30th (and your FP2 for that matter)?
neubywankaneuby is offline  
Old 05-17-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Italy
Posts: 6
Re: NGD - JEM 777SK 30th

Quote:
Originally Posted by neubywankaneuby View Post
My FP2 was a little neck heavy. How is the 30th (and your FP2 for that matter)?
I wouldn't say that either of them are neck heavy, but maybe I'm less bothered by it.

Like I said, the 30th is very soft (especially for a Jem), while the FP2 is STIFF! That's a beautiful guitar, and stays in tune like no other guitar I have ever played, but let's say that she is not for those who have weak fingers.

When it comes to sound, obviously there are differences, also because the FP2 has an evo2 in the bridge position. The 30th is a bit brighter (thanks to the maple fretboard) and in my opinion the good ol' evo is better than the evo2. I still need more time to get to know the SK...
MajorTom is offline  
Old 05-17-2017, 08:46 AM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,746
Re: NGD - JEM 777SK 30th

There seems to be a fair amount of variation in the weight of these guitars, maybe around 10 oz. If you assume that the weight difference is all or mostly in the body, that would mean the difference between a guitar that seems neck heavy and one that isn't.

I've seen a couple of these down near 7 lb, which is really light. The one I have coming is 7 lb, 10 oz, which is fairly normal for a basswood Jem.
Takin' a Ride is offline  
Old 05-17-2017, 11:42 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 148
Re: NGD - JEM 777SK 30th

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
I wouldn't say that either of them are neck heavy, but maybe I'm less bothered by it.

Like I said, the 30th is very soft (especially for a Jem), while the FP2 is STIFF! That's a beautiful guitar, and stays in tune like no other guitar I have ever played, but let's say that she is not for those who have weak fingers.

When it comes to sound, obviously there are differences, also because the FP2 has an evo2 in the bridge position. The 30th is a bit brighter (thanks to the maple fretboard) and in my opinion the good ol' evo is better than the evo2. I still need more time to get to know the SK...
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
There seems to be a fair amount of variation in the weight of these guitars, maybe around 10 oz. If you assume that the weight difference is all or mostly in the body, that would mean the difference between a guitar that seems neck heavy and one that isn't.

I've seen a couple of these down near 7 lb, which is really light. The one I have coming is 7 lb, 10 oz, which is fairly normal for a basswood Jem.
My FP2 was awesome, but the neck heaviness was just enough to drive me crazy, so I ended up trading it away. If I found one that was a little more balanced, it would definitely be a keeper.
neubywankaneuby is offline  
Old 05-18-2017, 06:28 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dunmore, PA
Posts: 2,325
Reviews: 12
Red face Re: NGD - JEM 777SK 30th

Fantastic, and congratulations.

I'm just curious, will that be something that you play or will it be mostly a case queen?
DEADTUNES666 is offline  
Old 05-18-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Italy
Posts: 6
Re: NGD - JEM 777SK 30th

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
Fantastic, and congratulations.

I'm just curious, will that be something that you play or will it be mostly a case queen?
I'm going to play it. I own several guitars but I'm not a collector who keeps them in a case without ever touching them, I play them all regularly.
MajorTom is offline  
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Thread Tools



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So uhhh where's the Jem 30th? scalelokt Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 2 04-24-2017 11:48 AM
JEM LNG 30th NGD! Grandturk Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 113 02-16-2017 11:44 AM
Ibanez GB-30TH George Benson Signature Hollow Body Electric Guitar 30th Anniversary prisoner6 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 05-11-2015 05:44 PM
Ngd 777sk G4ZZ Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 11 03-06-2013 05:01 AM
Jem 30th?!?!?!? Kontalonis Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 8 05-08-2007 09:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome