NGD: Jem 7VWH, 2010 w/ original Edge - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13
Smile NGD: Jem 7VWH, 2010 w/ original Edge

Possibly there's nothing new here to most people... but to me it's a very special NGD. I finally got my first Jem 7VWH. I had a Jem 555BK in the past, and I always remembered how good it was to play. Then I found this 2010 7VWH in almost mint condition, with original Edge and a very beautiful dark rosewood fretboard. The price was fair... and I bought it.

However, after my setup, which I consider a bit extreme (.008 gauge, almost straight neck and very, very low action) I found some problems. The 2nd fret was buzzing really bad, only this fret, on the A, D and G strings. No marks or signs on the fret, so I suspected I had an uneven fret. I took the guitar to a luthier and it had a light fretwork. After it returned, it sounded way better.

The low E was buzzing all around then. The saddle was slightly lower than it should be, so I put a shim (just cut a piece of paper) under this saddle.

Then I found this guitar to be very resonant: the unplugged sound is really loud, it has a long sustain (despite my ridiculously low action), and it had the back springs consistently resonating with any C note. I put 1/8" rubber tubes (the 3/16" didn't fit) inside the springs, and they are very quiet now.

I also own a Music Man JP6, and string bending on it is a lot stiffer than them Jem. The Jem has taller frets, I know, but there's something else influencing on this. Both have equal strings and setup, and still the Jem has smoother bends. My old 1996 UV7BK, however, plays even better than everything else. There's something special about those old Ibanez guitars...

Anyway, very happy with my Jem, that's my main guitar now.

Last edited by Rachmaninoff; 09-20-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 02:44 PM

Re: NGD: Jem 7VWH, 2010 w/ original Edge

My congratulations!! The guitar is really nice!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 06:44 PM

Yeah! Looks like a nice one.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 08:09 PM

Congrats on your 7V, looks awesome! ^ ^

Tags
jem 7vwh , ndg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode