NGD: JEM777DY - restoration in progress - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

NGD: JEM777DY - restoration in progress

Just received a new axe in the mail yesterday. She's a '91 JEM777DY and has definitely been a player. She'll need a bit of restore work, but I like that kind of stuff. I typically never post pics of my guitars until I'm done with them, but Pezz from the forum asked me to post the as-received photos.

As a frame of reference, I paid $1500 for this guitar. That seems to actually be on the lower end of pricing at the time I write this thread, so you could look at this as a "what you can get for $1500" kind of thing.

I'll start by saying that this is the nastiest guitar I've ever received. I've gotten two other really dirty ones, but they were overall in better shape under all the dirt. What passed for a "setup" on this guitar was beyond laughable. The previous owner had drop tuned it half a step, but never adjusted the trem. To make matters worse, he actually added an additional trem spring in there for some reason. The next issue is that some idiot had tightened the truss rod nut so much, the neck had actually gone into back bow. Obviously this made the guitar unplayable, so to "fix" the problem, the previous owner had just raised the bridge a mile. When I finally got the neck relief corrected, got the trem to the right angle and had it tuned up in standard tuning, the strings were roughly 5mm off the top of the frets at the 24th fret. The guy said he didn't like this guitar as much as his 7VWH because he couldn't play as fast on this one. Gee, I wonder why! LOL

Anyways, on to the pics:

Neck pocket crack on bass side.

Logo overall in extremely good shape (what appears as fading in the I & b is just a reflection off the massive amount of dirt on the guitar). Truss rod cover and screws were missing.

Absolutely filthy lion's claw, missing fine tuners and trem at completely the wrong angle.

Typically poor polishing job in monkey grip has collected a ton of dirt.

A bunch of marks that are all over the back edge of the guitar and the non-original strap pin.

Edge chip. You can see the original DY color here as well as the yellowing of the clear.

Treble side neck pocket crack, assorted black marks, dirty ass neck.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-20-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Re: NGD: JEM777DY - restoration in progress

The other edge chip on the guitar.

Wear typical of any old Jem neck plate.

Gouged up truss rod nut and chip due to someone using the wrong tool to make adjustments.

Trem covered with pimples.

Some fret wear as well as a few indentations in the fretboard. Clear coat on fretboard remains intact.

Lot of pick scratching (hard to photograph). Hardware polished/corroded, obscene dust buildup.

I'll be taking this guitar apart soon and starting the process of refurbishing it. I'm going to leave the edge chips alone, but I'm going to work on polishing out the rest of the body.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-20-2014 at 04:56 PM.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 03:19 PM

That Jem may be dirty, have some chips and some setup problems, but any 777DY that has the original pickups and hasn't been swirled or refinished is A-OKAY in my book.
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
That Jem may be dirty, have some chips and some setup problems, but any 777DY that has the original pickups and hasn't been swirled or refinished is A-OKAY in my book.

Amen to that!
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:03 PM

Hey, it may be dirty, but it's in a hell of a lot better shape than mine was at first!

Congrats!
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Vendor

It's not bad, it's pretty average for the dirt level of most of the guitars I end up with
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Banned

apart from the set up it needs it looks ok.few chips here n there but nothing major,remember to keep it well away from sunlight otherwise it will go a different yellow colour.

Last edited by elcid; 01-11-2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: knock it off, man
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 05:35 PM

Reviews: 18

Nice find! Hope it comes out good!
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 06:10 PM

Hey man glad to see it worked out for ya. I wonder what happened with that clear pickguard (wtf was he thinking) 777SK. That gear finder is soooooo useful. I found a 7RB on there lastnight for $450 but it was already sold.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments, all. I think this thing is going to be a winner. I've been working on the body with some ammonia and it's already looking 100X better. Did a nice job of taking the patchouli stink off of it! I seriously don't get how some people could think that stuff smells good...
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 06:48 PM

Now I want to paint my JEM i'm building DY...
thanks a lot

really awesome guitar!
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 08:21 PM

Reviews: 3

Glad it's cleaning up well. Thanks for sharing I appreciate it!
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

One of the things I'm going to try is filling the neck joint cracks with super glue and then sanding them flat and buffing out the guitar. I've got them really clean now and much less noticeable, and I'm wondering if they might all but vanish if I can fill the cracks.
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlupass2 View Post
Hey man glad to see it worked out for ya. I wonder what happened with that clear pickguard (wtf was he thinking) 777SK. That gear finder is soooooo useful. I found a 7RB on there lastnight for $450 but it was already sold.
not sure i understand the coment about a clear pick guard? am I missing something. 777dy didnt have a clear pick guard.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

There was a guy selling an SK on Craigslist that for some unknown reason put a clear pickguard on the guitar. I had been trying to get my hands on the guitar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode