NGD: JEM777SK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

NGD: JEM777SK

I'm been after one of these FOREVER and I finally got one. This makes my collection "complete", but everyone knows how that goes. Anyway, this one is an '88. Found it on Craigslist near Cleveland. Seller was only interested in selling local, so that meant that the old company car got called into action for a 750 mile round trip. Thanks, work! Thirteen hours later, I was back home with the new axe.

Other than the one chip you can see on the upper horn, the body on this thing is immaculate. Not even any buckle rash on the back. No fading at all on this thing. The paint was totally uniform under the pickguard and truss rod covers with the surrounding exposed parts. There's a little yellowing of the clear, but again it is totally uniform on all surfaces and seems to be a natural aging of the finish rather than any sort of UV effect. The color of the guitar is a perfect match for the pickups. I'm the third owner of the guitar. The guy I bought it from had it for around ten years but said that he rarely played it because he's in a metal band and a pink guitar didn't work too well with their image.

Trem has a little bit of wear and bubbling, but overall is in great shape. The fretboard actually looked better before I worked on it. I cleaned it up but then stupidly used tung oil to reseal it. It turned all the spots where the clear was worn through much darker. Oh well, looks like a future project on this thing will be a fretboard restore. I believe that the guitar was refretted at some point because the frets are basically new, which doesn't jive with a worn fretboard.

Photographing this thing is almost impossible! Enjoy the pics!

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-20-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 12:25 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: NGD: JEM777SK

Nice find Jesse! I'm so looking for one myself.

Congrats on the new edition! Big question is, are you going to play it?
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Congrats man, that is a beauty!!!!!
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz View Post
Big question is, are you going to play it?
Of course. I play all my guitars. But since I have 11 of them, none ends up getting a whole lot. The only one I'm kind of scared to play is the GMC, because the swirl finish is much more delicate than the standard Ibanez finishes.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 01:16 PM

Reviews: 14

Congrats, that is a nice find!
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 01:45 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Of course. I play all my guitars. But since I have 11 of them, none ends up getting a whole lot. The only one I'm kind of scared to play is the GMC, because the swirl finish is much more delicate than the standard Ibanez finishes.
I have the same issue. Too many and not enough time. At least it keeps them in great shape! I'll take that GMC off your hands!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 03:43 PM

Reviews: 2

WOW Jesse!! She looks even better than you described to me!!! absolutely a gorgeous find!!!

BTW... I like the look of the fretboard as it is......"played" maple always looks better than untouched to me.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 04:50 PM

In the words of Cee-lo, "Oh, I really hate you A$$ right now." Nice find. I really only like a few of the jems. the SK, Dy, Lng, FP and FP2
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Sooooo, this is the SK you told me about? Sweet score! That thing is in better shape than the one I just got, and I'm pretty happy about mine. Well worth the trip! Congrats.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Yep, this is the one I told you about. It's really a great guitar. No neck pocket cracks or anything. It didn't take much to really get the body looking great. Just hand rubbed it out with Color Tone medium grit inside the grip and claw (which are always dull and orange peely on old Jems) and on the pickguard. Followed that up with the fine grit and swirl remover, which are absolutely fantastic products. Then just a coat of Zaino polish.

One thing I learned on this is do not ever use the swirl remover on a cosmo trem. It takes that finish right off! There's one small spot on the bottom edge that I tested this on and it went right down to metal instantly. This is the second trem I've gotten that has something like old wax discolorations in the finish. It had all these odd blue spots in it. I tried naptha and WD40 to very minimal results and then found that saliva did a way better job. I'm assuming that saliva is slightly acidic or something?

Frets polished up like mirrors but other than that I just threw a new set of shiny black screws for the pickguard and pickups. This thing was an absolute steal as far as I'm concerned.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 05:32 PM

Both of you guys have me feeling like a "red headed step child" with all my crappy old 400 series!!!.......LOL
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 05:37 PM

Congratulations ! it's in a fantastic shape, beautiful !
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Any idea which HOK was used on these? I need to touch mine up, and have it narrowed down to 2 colors:

NE502 Pink Neon

AND
NE505 Magenta Neon

After looking at mine an yours, I'm getting nostalgic for neon Jems. I'm thinking of ditching my purple floral Jem project in favor of this:

NE512 Violet Neon

OR

BC10
Pavo Purple

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Vendor

None of the above.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Yep, this is the one I told you about. It's really a great guitar. No neck pocket cracks or anything. It didn't take much to really get the body looking great. Just hand rubbed it out with Color Tone medium grit inside the grip and claw (which are always dull and orange peely on old Jems) and on the pickguard. Followed that up with the fine grit and swirl remover, which are absolutely fantastic products. Then just a coat of Zaino polish.

One thing I learned on this is do not ever use the swirl remover on a cosmo trem. It takes that finish right off! There's one small spot on the bottom edge that I tested this on and it went right down to metal instantly. This is the second trem I've gotten that has something like old wax discolorations in the finish. It had all these odd blue spots in it. I tried naptha and WD40 to very minimal results and then found that saliva did a way better job. I'm assuming that saliva is slightly acidic or something?

Frets polished up like mirrors but other than that I just threw a new set of shiny black screws for the pickguard and pickups. This thing was an absolute steal as far as I'm concerned.
I use a dab of vinegar on my cosmo stuff.... it really works nicely!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode