NGD, Jem77wdp. Thnx Rich! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

NGD, Jem77wdp. Thnx Rich!

Just last night I received my Jem77wdp from Rich. Stunning guitar!

Rich spent about an hour with me on the phone going over the details of the guitar I selected. I opted to have the guitar sent as is. Meaning there was to be no additional level of setup or detailing done by Rich. This works for me because I have a strong background in guitar repair and have even built about a dozen acoustic guitars.

Even with an as is guitar I found incredible value in the selection process and scrutiny Rich subjects each guitar to before they enter his inventory. What I received was a guitar that, as agreed, would need a set up and some minor (very minor) attention to detail.

The guitar is amazing. I wanted this because I have a particular interest in a mahogany bodied Jem. I was really on the fence about the open pore finish on these Jems. It's just not my thing. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the open pores are not as eye grabbing as I had feared.

The pickups are still a big question mark for me. Steve says a tight bottom is good, and I agree. Unfortunately I think there may be some cellulite here... I will have a better idea later today. I have only been able to play it through my Roland Cube so far. Later today I will plug in the Marshall DSL40C and get a better idea.

I played for a few hours last night and then this morning I sat down with the Jem and my coffee to go through my morning exercises. I'm really pleased with the feel of this guitar. My typical morning guitar is a Charvel San Dimas. The Jem feels much different but not extraordinarily so. The neck profile feels a bit thinner and the fret board a bit wider; I haven't compared the specs. The knobs on the Jem have to go. They are wood, and very slick. I'm auditioning replacements now. The trem feels different of course. Not better, not worse, just different. It functions well enough and stays in tune quite well.

In the end, I'm well pleased; at least so far. I have owned a couple of 7VWHs in the past and this guitar does not compete on the same level. At half the cost, I didn't expect it to. That said, there is nothing glaring that stands out and screams low cost Indo knock off. My current stable consists of high end Strats, a PRS S2, and the a fore mentioned Charvel. This Jem will sit quite nicely in that mix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Vendor

Re: NGD, Jem77wdp. Thnx Rich!

At my age a little sag and cellulite in the bottom end is expected, if it was too tight, she's way too young!

If they make it thru inspection I feel comfortable letting them go AS IS knowing you have the ability to do the setup, and I ran thru big bends on the strings to make sure there were no choke points, and the string alignment was good, which I'm willing to accept if it's off as I can fix as long as the rest is really good. That one, was really good technically. It will give many years of morning ritual!
Rich is online  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode