NGD: JS6, party of 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

NGD: JS6, party of 2

As some of you know, I have what can only be considered an unnatural affinity to natural mahogany guitars. Most of all the JS6. I literally wanted one of these for like 14 or 15 years, and didn't really understand how rare they were until about 4 or 5 years ago. A lot of that period I mainly was playing acoustics, and not really hunting gear, but all the same, I wanted one.

Well, I got one a year and a half ago, and it was everything I thought it would be. So, I just got another. The new one is in even better condition, and I got a really awesome deal on it too (well, I think I did anyways, deal is always in the eyes of the buyer/seller).

Here's some pics:

"Twins" pic for Dr. StrangeNote, new one on left:

Another "Twins" pic, new one on top:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:41 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: NGD: JS6, party of 2

Wow man... I can't even begin to describe my jealousy!!!!!!

Flat out GORGEOUS!!!!!!!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Even though mine's an only child I absolutely love the tone it makes. It's currently strung with 11s down a whole step
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 08:44 AM

Very nice! I'm envious of the twins!! good luck and congrats buddy!!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Good thought jono. I need to spend some time playing/comparing them side by side. Was thinking I may put different pickups in one of them, to differentiate. Not sure what I would use yet.

Heavy stings/tuning down is a great idea too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Even though mine's an only child I absolutely love the tone it makes. It's currently strung with 11s down a whole step
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 AM

Reviews: 11

So what color are you gonna paint it?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

LOL linux. I saw on a different forum where someone had indeed painted one black. Thankfully it was an old thread and the pic was just an "x" now. I may have vomitted if I saw it. I've seen pics of one that someone mod'd for a Floyd Rose. I won't be doing that either.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst6 View Post
LOL linux. I saw on a different forum where someone had indeed painted one black. Thankfully it was an old thread and the pic was just an "x" now. I may have vomitted if I saw it. I've seen pics of one that someone mod'd for a Floyd Rose. I won't be doing that either.
haha Id cry! lol TR's are awesome looking though, maybe stain it to get some difference?

My 6000 is red, and it looks awesome!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

No stain. I like them how they are! Maybe switch around pickups in one. Not sure what I'd use. Dude on the Duncan forums was saying that Phat Cats (P90 in a humbucker) were sweet in his. Never been a big P90 guy, but haven't really used them either. Maybe a Super Distortion in the bridge? I liked that in a basswood guitar, never heard it mahogany I don't think.

Not really sure what/if I'll do. Will take at least a few months to decide on that probably.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 03:32 PM

Nice score!
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst6 View Post
No stain. I like them how they are! Maybe switch around pickups in one. Not sure what I'd use. Dude on the Duncan forums was saying that Phat Cats (P90 in a humbucker) were sweet in his. Never been a big P90 guy, but haven't really used them either. Maybe a Super Distortion in the bridge? I liked that in a basswood guitar, never heard it mahogany I don't think.

Not really sure what/if I'll do. Will take at least a few months to decide on that probably.
What about a set of the diMarzio PAF 36th Anniversaries

Duncan also do those super cool P-Rails (and a hotter version for the bridge) that with the coil tap on the JS would work great I bet.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
What about a set of the diMarzio PAF 36th Anniversaries

Duncan also do those super cool P-Rails (and a hotter version for the bridge) that with the coil tap on the JS would work great I bet.

yup these would sound great!!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:49 PM

that's insane !

love to say that when someone has 2 identical guitars ! like I do !

haha !
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Contributor

JS6s look and sound great. but the necks don't feel like normal JS necks. I don't really use mine because Rich said it was in the best shape of any JS6 he'd seen in a long, long while. So now I'd feel like the idiot that scratched it up if I used it
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Great suggestions on pickups. I wonder if the 36th anniversary set would sound too much different than Fred/PAF Pro. Sound clips of those p-rails sound pretty incredible. Very versatile. What I probably need to do is get another guitar with P-90s and see how it sounds thru my amp. Then go from there.

Tags
js6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode