NGD My First Jem :D - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

NGD My First Jem :D

I just got this in a trade with another Jemsiter...

2000 Jem 7DBK with a Lo-Pro Edge. Got it yesterday... I was just going to change the strings, but once I got them off I couldn't stop myself

The neck had a lot of little dings in it (no cracks at the nut!) and it was very sticky, so I stripped the neck to the headstock and refinished it with a coat of tung oil. Then I leveled, crowned, buffed the frets, and cleaned and oiled the fretboard. Gave it a complete setup and intonation, and then played it until 2 am last night...

It is absolutely the best playing guitar I've ever owned, I know this gets thrown around a lot, but it just plays effortlessly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 11:40 AM

Re: NGD My First Jem :D

Congrats! Great player that one!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 11:56 AM

Nice. I think the DBK is one of the best deal you can make theese days. Very good guitar for the money.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks fellers

My finger are sore from play so much so I took a break and made a couple of slight adjustments...

Polished up a couple of cosmo knobs I had laying around into chrome, and made up a mirror truss rod cover to add a little more chrome... Looks a little better I think...

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
Thanks fellers

My finger are sore from play so much so I took a break and made a couple of slight adjustments...

Polished up a couple of cosmo knobs I had laying around into chrome, and made up a mirror truss rod cover to add a little more chrome... Looks a little better I think...

You have done a very nice job with the guitar. But in my opinion i would keep the original knobs and truss rod cover.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 02:23 PM

Here is mine, paid $ 780. My best deal ever.

http://www.jemsite.com/gallery/showi...mageuser=51519
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stensen View Post
Here is mine, paid $ 780. My best deal ever.

http://www.jemsite.com/gallery/showi...mageuser=51519
Cool man... you have a nice collection going too!

I do plan on keeping the original knobs and truss cover.... in the case compartment
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 03:02 PM

wow! really love it, nice!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 09:19 PM

Nice!

I bought two DBKs for $750 each in the last two years with hardshell cases.
They have the best neck for my hand out of all of my JEMs.
I took the finish off of both of necks too.

Enjoy!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 03:38 AM

Congrats with a great guitar! Those DBK are killer guitars and especially with the value these days. I expect a little rise in the value once people realize how good these are.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys

Man I really love this guitar. Between the DBK and my new Boss GT-100 my attention has been taken away from building and got me re-focused on playing and getting out of the rut I've been in. I even signed up at guitarmasterclass.net to get my learn on
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 10:32 AM

they are a nice guitar and damn cheap. i got a mint 2003 DBK 3 weeks ago. do like it but my JEM77VBK is a much better guitar so the DBK could be spending some time in its case. could still be mint in another 10yrs.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 11:29 AM

Reviews: 2

Damn is that a nice Jem to start with!!! Congratulations man!!!

If you don't mind my asking, did you get it for under or over $1k? I've been waiting to find one under $1k, but only crappy ones do. Because of that, I keep buying crappy RG's.....LOL

The neck looks good too- but you need to put a mirror shine on those frets to match the guard.......

FWIW.... I like the original knobs better too, but the chrome domes really work well!! Way better than I would have imagined.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Damn is that a nice Jem to start with!!! Congratulations man!!!

If you don't mind my asking, did you get it for under or over $1k? I've been waiting to find one under $1k, but only crappy ones do. Because of that, I keep buying crappy RG's.....LOL

The neck looks good too- but you need to put a mirror shine on those frets to match the guard.......

FWIW.... I like the original knobs better too, but the chrome domes really work well!! Way better than I would have imagined.
Well I technically got it for less than $1000... I traded my 2007 Gibson LP Studio in the worn black that I paid $550 for plus $425 cash. Well with shipping the trade out it came in right about a grand. But it was so worth it... I barely ever played the LP and the DBK attached itself to me instantly.... after I did my work and got her set up to her true potential that is... BTW a Japanese RG with a fret level and a real setup is nothing to scoff at either... IMO it's all in the fret level and setup

And check the second pic of the frets out... They are buffed to a mirror shine... the first pic is just a little blurry I guess... I went all the way up to 2000 grit paper and then used Maguires fine cut cleaner and swirl remover with my Dremmel to buff them up.... so they are shiny, I'm just a lousy photographer!!!

Last edited by Swirltop; 09-29-2013 at 11:53 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 02:02 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
Well I technically got it for less than $1000... I traded my 2007 Gibson LP Studio in the worn black that I paid $550 for plus $425 cash. Well with shipping the trade out it came in right about a grand. But it was so worth it... I barely ever played the LP and the DBK attached itself to me instantly.... after I did my work and got her set up to her true potential that is... BTW a Japanese RG with a fret level and a real setup is nothing to scoff at either... IMO it's all in the fret level and setup

And check the second pic of the frets out... They are buffed to a mirror shine... the first pic is just a little blurry I guess... I went all the way up to 2000 grit paper and then used Maguires fine cut cleaner and swirl remover with my Dremmel to buff them up.... so they are shiny, I'm just a lousy photographer!!!
Sounds like a great trade to me........ I'd jump high at a chance like that.

I know what you mean about taking pics of frets. I just finished an RG770 neck that needed a level/crown/dress. I tried to take finished pics to show the owner but, out of eleven pics, none look accurate or show off the work.

Pisses you off, don't it!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode