Ibanez JEM Forum banner

NGD: PIA EVG!!!

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Jamiecrain 
#1 ·
So I wasn't planning on buying a new guitar any time soon. But when I walked into my LGS yesterday and saw this beauty hanging on the wall I knew I couldn't pass it up. I had assumed all the limited edition PIAs had long been sold out. I was told that this was among the last ones that Hoshino had and somehow my store was fortunate enough to get it.

I missed getting a 777 LNG in '87, and again in '17. As far as I'm concerned, this is the "new" 777 LNG!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Agreed! I just read the first few pages of the PIA thread that was started in January 2020 when the guitars were first announced. I don't quite understand all the hate toward the flashy cosmetics. I mean, it's a Steve Vai signature guitar, after all. I don't know what people were expecting. I seem to recall a lot of folks freaking out at all the bright neon colors of the original JEM 777s. I mean, pink pickups in a green guitar?! And what's with that that handle!?? Absurdity!! :lol:

Someone complained that the guitar looks like a "feminized" version of a JEM. I agree with that assessment, but unlike some others I really like the look. It's a little softer both in appearance and in feel when held against the body. It's named after a woman near and dear to Steve's heart, so I imagine that may have been what he was going for.

I notice that the magnetic rear trem cavity plate on mine has a silver mirrored finish. The pics I see online show a flat black finish.

#7 ·
It definitely has more feminine cosmetics compared to the JEM, but if the JEM didn't exist and this was introduced in 87', would people say that? It had flowers on it after all 8O

I've never peeled off the white film to see what it looks like but there's always bad spots on the film and it looks like polished steel, something.

#8 ·
Very true!

What you're describing is what mine looks like.

I just stumbled across this video with Vai and he says specifically that he was going for a more feminine vibe. Oh, and his back plate looks like mine, so I guess that's normal.

#12 ·
I had absolutely no intention of buying one of these, but after seeing the OP's photos and considering the scarcity of these, I decided to go ahead and grab the only one I knew of that was brand new and available from an authorized dealer. Damn this site... :(
I thought I had grabbed the last one, but apparently you earned that distinction! Good job!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.