NGD: Universe and pics of my others PIC HEAVY - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

NGD: Universe and pics of my others PIC HEAVY

I know a lot of people will say I made the wrong choice but so far Im happy. I bought this UV70P last week for an unbeatable price, and it just came in today. I did tons of shopping around. I was originally going for a used MIJ UV but decided the price for this one, brand new, with warrenty was to good to pass up. So far I believe I made the right choice. This guitar plays great. The neck feels awesome. Its not as thin as the old UV7's but it is thinner than my K7. Frets feel good to me, no buzzing. It has the UV sound I missed so much. Setup was pretty easy too. I spent more time working on the Apex2 than this. Although well see how good I did tomorrow after the neck settles. The ezII isnt bad either. I like that the intonation screws are off center from the strings. You still have to loosen the string but it makes it a tad easier. I went full Steve Vai on the trem quite a few times, as far as it would go both ways, guitar stayed in tune just fine. I also like that you can tighten the whammy bar down with the screw. Then theres the looks. Its visually stunning. The guitar is absolutely beautiful. I played the guitar for a few hours so far and am really enjoying it. I cant fault it, Im hoping I got one of the good ones. So far it seems like it.

Since I was taking pictures I thought I may as well take some of the others. Good time to test my iphone6.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Re: NGD: Universe and pics of my others PIC HEAVY

Heres my baby, the K7. I got this for Christmas when I was in high school. My dream guitar and still my favorite. I like the others, especially the Universe's. However nothing can replace my K7. Its home... I think you all know what I mean.

Then theres the Apex20. I picked this up in late September, early October. I was looking for a UV and came across this. Basswood body with blaze pickups, sounded like a winner to me, and the price was too good to pass up. It doesnt sound like a UV, its got its own unique sound. Its a beast. Thickest neck of them all. Which is not a bad thing, the guitar feels and plays great. Simple and relieable.

Heres the Apex2. While hunting for a UV I came across this as well. I kept an eye on it for about a month. I researched them and found most people liked them. I gave it some thought and decided in the worst case Ill swap the pickups and refinish it. The price was amazing. I really liked that its a mahogany body. 5 piece neck as well, which is the thinnest them all. When it got here a couple weeks ago I was very surprised. The color wasnt as bad as I thought and it sounded amazing. Its really not far off from the K7. Not as deep, but close. Really nice guitar, and again, a deal I couldnt pass up.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Another group shot:

My old UV777BK and the K7. Miss that 777.

I liked my old 777, but this 70P seems to be really close, if not just as good. Actually its probably better considering my old one I got used, missing the locks, whammy bar, back plate, and had been scratched with a red pick on the guard from careless strumming. I got most of it off.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 03:17 AM
Banned

CONGRATS and HAPPY NGD!!
It is a GOOD guitar! And very light as well. A pleasure to play!

I don't play mine for the moment for the known reasons, but I would love to!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
CONGRATS and HAPPY NGD!!
It is a GOOD guitar! And very light as well. A pleasure to play!

I don't play mine for the moment for the known reasons, but I would love to!
Dont worry, itll get straightened out soon. Where theres a will, theres a way. It's totally worth it too. Your right, it is a pleasure to play. Im considering an all nighter just so I can be up early to play it haha
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 06:06 AM
Banned

Bro, it would be very helpful for me if you could :

1) post a close up of your trem saddles. I would like to see the stock factory setup.
2) A perpendicular shot of the heel - neck pup clearance. Also pls if you can measure the exact clearance. Mine is less that 0.1mm. Yours should be close to 1mm.
3) PLEASE!!! THIS IS IMPORTANT! : measure the exact distance between (the end of) the neck heel and (the start of) the trem plate. This is the most vital measurement I can think of that can prove my case in some euro court!

Last edited by panix; 12-04-2014 at 07:24 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 08:12 AM

My keen sense of observation tells me you like them 7-strings
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
Bro, it would be very helpful for me if you could :

1) post a close up of your trem saddles. I would like to see the stock factory setup.
2) A perpendicular shot of the heel - neck pup clearance. Also pls if you can measure the exact clearance. Mine is less that 0.1mm. Yours should be close to 1mm.
3) PLEASE!!! THIS IS IMPORTANT! : measure the exact distance between (the end of) the neck heel and (the start of) the trem plate. This is the most vital measurement I can think of that can prove my case in some euro court!
Will do buddy. Ill be messing with it shortly.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyL View Post
My keen sense of observation tells me you like them 7-strings
we can never be truly sure about that.

Although I have had 2 six strings. Fender strat mim, sunburst with rosewood fretboard. Ibanez rg170, black with maple neck/board. Both of which I plan on getting again I think, just because I kinda miss them too.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Hows this? Let me know if you need more or if I did one wrong.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 11:50 AM

The most time I have spent playing on a 7 strings was not even 2 minutes. Guilty as charged!

Sometimes I think about getting a non-expensive 7 strings just to see if my hands would like it but for some reason my subconscious feels like I wouldn't get "into" it that much. I know the counter argument is that everything I can do on a 6-string, I can also do it on a 7 and have new note options...expecially if I tune down the 7th string to A or lower.

I guess the neck size scares me a bit.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyL View Post
The most time I have spent playing on a 7 strings was not even 2 minutes. Guilty as charged!

Sometimes I think about getting a non-expensive 7 strings just to see if my hands would like it but for some reason my subconscious feels like I wouldn't get "into" it that much. I know the counter argument is that everything I can do on a 6-string, I can also do it on a 7 and have new note options...expecially if I tune down the 7th string to A or lower.

I guess the neck size scares me a bit.
Go for an Ibanez. They are famous for having necks that "dont feel like bats". Korn and Steve Vai mention that Ibanez has the thinnest necks making the transition easy. You cant go wrong with a cheaper Ibanez either. As long as its atleast an RG series. I dont know about the G10 stuff. Although you can always find a deal on used ones too. Sometimes signature models for an incredible price .

Ive seen quite a few people mention picking up a 7321 for under 200 used. Cant hurt, you may like it too. If you get the chance try others models. All 4 of mine have different profiles. Old UV's have rediculously thin necks. Thatd be a lot of coin to drop on something you're not sure about though.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 12:34 PM

If only the K7 didn't have that stupid inlay, it's really a gorgeous guitar otherwise. It'd almost be worth buying one and having the board replaced.

On the cheap, Ibanez does make good 7s - the 7620s and 1527s are your best bet if you can find one used. Other than that, Schecter has pretty consistently impressed me (their fretwork is usually excellent), and I'm curious to try the new PRS SE 7. I have a Singlecut SE that's really great for the money, so if a PRS sort of tone is up your ally that's a good bet.

Tags
apex , ibanez , universe , uv70p

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode