Non wood JS sound - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Non wood JS sound

Whenever I see people reviewing JS10ths they are always gushing about the sound. I find that both the sound and the sustain suffer considerably compared to a wood JS. Anybody else think so? I find myself not really using the 10th or Crystal Planet much because it just doesn't sound as good as any wood JSs do. Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 12:52 PM

Re: Non wood JS sound

I had a JS10 for a few years and thought it sounded great. Not the SAME as the wood JS's, but certainly didn't sound bad - just different.

I had a great tone out of it, very full and smooth.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

I wouldn't say it sounds bad either. But it does sound worse to me. I will always pick a wood one to use over a non wood one. I find myself restricted a little playing the 10th. Especially compared to the JS2 PRM which I think you have also Toadfish
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 02:33 PM

Yeah, I do have the PRM and no doubt it sounds more like a JS than the 10th.

I used to gig my 10th and it had some serious balls to it. Brighter than the regular JS.

funny thing though is that the PRM sounds different to the 1200ca when unplugged! The 1200 is more vibrant and zingy, the PRM sounds a bit dull.

Plug it in, put on some spangly pants and turn up the volume though and it's pretty much the same.

:-)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 04:10 PM

Reviews: 2

I can attest to the tone Toadfish is talking about as I bought his 10th. I have a few different JS models to compare it to. The mahogany body of the JS 6 has a deeper tone and longer sustain, imo, due to the denser wood and the hardtail. The fixed bridge of the JS 2000 also has a way of sustaining a note longer, imo, the fixed bridge allows the string to resonate more with the body of the guitar. The basswood bodies have a meatier tone than the CB. The CB has a way of getting more harmonics at the mid and higher end. The high pitch harmonics, (squeals) Joe gets with the pick attack and placement, combined with the trem arm are easier to do with the CB. It most definitely has balls and I do love the sound. The Crystal planet has more mid and low range due to the acrylic material. Heavier and denser than the basswood bodies that most JS models are made of. Toadfish made an excellent point however, about how similar they are when you crank them up and put them through the normal effects chain.

Cheers, Jeff

Tags
js sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode