Noob Question for those of you that have built one Vs. a Real one - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Noob Question for those of you that have built one Vs. a Real one

Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking lately about building a JEM copy, you know.. body off the evil site, neck from one of the vendors up top, try a few pick up combinations before committing, etc.

My question to you guys is, will this thing play/feel like a factory JEM ( the main reason I love the original so much ) or will it it feel like something else?

I really like the idea of having something a little more custom, and while not built, at least assembled be me..but if in the end I wind up with a cool looking guitar that doesn't feel any better then one of my mid level beaters, I'll be pretty PO'd considering the money I put in to it could have just bought me another used Jem.

Any insight?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:35 PM

Re: Noob Question for those of you that have built one Vs. a Real one

There is a lot of things that it depends on. Like the body quality/wood quality, neck quality, and hardware quality. I think it all comes down to how much time/money/effort you can put down.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:48 PM

whilst i have own both genuine and jem-a-likes of various types, i always feel you "expect" more from YOUR jem, purely due to money and time put into it.

Now it is possible your custom Jem will be awesome and slay all Jems, it's also possible that in putting it together it ends up being a right dog.

i guess what i am saying is, a real jem,custom jem, rg550-turned-into-a-jem and god knows how many other ways there, the end result will only be as good as the putting together and finally set-up, if you have never built a guitar from scratch i'd suggest getting a cheap jackson/esp/ibanez and ripping it done, un-wiring it all, taking the saddles off the trem and really learn how to assemble and set-up a guitar (i apologize if your proficient at assembly)

Good luck with whatever you decide, and remember if you get stuck, were all only a message away

for what it's worth i have made many Jem copies over the years, alot of members have seen these, a few even own them, the bonus is you get to make YOUR Jem
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:26 PM

Depends on how good you are at building guitars? If you have the skills, it is a highly rewarding experience. If its your first build, maybe not so much...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,

For the most part that's what I wanted to hear. I've had all my guitars in pieces, so assembling them isn't an issue. I also do my own setups and such so I don't have any worries there.

Maybe my question, more to the point is..is a Jem greater then the sum of it's parts?

You'd figure not, but then again 1500 bucks is a lot to spend to find out. I just want to be sure I have an idea of what I'm getting into.

I've even had thoughts of choosing a good plank of wood and building the body myself as well. The neck, well let's just say I don't have the time or patience for that, skills may be questionable at that point anyway.

I appreciate your help, thanks
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 PM

I have both..I built my custom myself and it shreds. It cost me about the same to build mine as it was to buy my 07 7vwh used. They both play the same, my custom sounds a pinch better because of the maple fretboard (personal preference) so its hard to say which is better. If I were to sell them, the resale value on the Ibanez is obviously going to be far better then my custom.

Take it for what its worth.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 10:26 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcore View Post
Thanks,
Maybe my question, more to the point is..is a Jem greater then the sum of it's parts?

You'd figure not, but then again 1500 bucks is a lot to spend to find out. I just want to be sure I have an idea of what I'm getting into.

I've even had thoughts of choosing a good plank of wood and building the body myself as well. The neck, well let's just say I don't have the time or patience for that, skills may be questionable at that point anyway.

I appreciate your help, thanks
A jem isn't greater than the sum of its parts, it is the sum of its parts. If you use the same bridge, body and more importantly neck it will play that well. If use an RG neck, it will feel like an RG, probably a very good one, but not a Jem.

I built my own rg body, and it was actually a great experience, I suggest you buy the best neck and bridge and body you can afford and go from there!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 10:55 AM

Reviews: 4
Talking Re: Noob Question for those of you that have built one Vs. a Real one

I have one that I put together. I got a swirl body of the bay, had Chris Woods make me a neck, put custom DiMarzio's, and most importantly i put all the other hardware a Jem has including Edge trem and all that. I am VERY VERY happy with it. Especially the pickups, I went with De-Activator X pickups and they are fantastic. I am very please with the whole guitar. The neck is about the same as a jem, but a bit different as well. Its hard to explain. Good luck!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Well you've convinced me!

I'll be sure to post my progress once I get the parts coming in.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode