noobie question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
rya
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 388
noobie question

my jem is set up for 9's and im changing strings.....if if cut off the high E and tune up to pitch will the bridge go at a bad angle? do i block the trem? if i do how?
rya is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 01:08 PM
 
Jaden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 2,465
Re: noobie question

theres a load of opinion on changing strings but I always take all my strings off and give the fingerboard a clean and polish the frets...

then I put new strings on and toon up !!!

easy... no probs with trem angle at all.

sounds like you are wanting to replace them one at a time.... that will be OK but when will you clean all the dust and sweat off your fingerboard ?
Jaden is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 01:19 PM
 
supermau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,064
Re: noobie question

I change mine one at a time as per the instructions here on Jemsite. Of course, my JEM is brand new and I just changed strings for the second time this week (and finally got it right!) I don't block the trem. Just one at a time, stretch, tune, stretch, tune, you know the drill. After the process my JEM was back in tune and thankfully pretty much stays in tune - trem leveled off dead flat, no problems.

One of these days I'll give it a good clean but I wipe it down after playing and keep it pretty tidy so I don't feel the need to totally polish my fretboard at each string change.
supermau is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 01:24 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,596
Re: noobie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermau View Post
I change mine one at a time as per the instructions here on Jemsite. Of course, my JEM is brand new and I just changed strings for the second time this week (and finally got it right!) I don't block the trem. Just one at a time, stretch, tune, stretch, tune, you know the drill. After the process my JEM was back in tune and thankfully pretty much stays in tune - trem leveled off dead flat, no problems.

One of these days I'll give it a good clean but I wipe it down after playing and keep it pretty tidy so I don't feel the need to totally polish my fretboard at each string change.
I think those tutorials are written for floyd noobs. You should learn how to maintenance your guitar properly and regularly or it wont last.
crevis is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 01:27 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Odense S, Denmark
Posts: 9,952
Re: noobie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisshredding View Post
theres a load of opinion on changing strings but I always take all my strings off and give the fingerboard a clean and polish the frets...

then I put new strings on and toon up !!!

easy... no probs with trem angle at all.

sounds like you are wanting to replace them one at a time.... that will be OK but when will you clean all the dust and sweat off your fingerboard ?
+1

Regards

André



fettouhi is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 02:46 PM
 
supermau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,064
Re: noobie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
I think those tutorials are written for floyd noobs. You should learn how to maintenance your guitar properly and regularly or it wont last.
I don't see how changing my strings one at a time will adversly affect the life of my JEM? Sure I'll give it a complete overhaul every now and then but I don't really see your point? Since I'm mostly a basement guitar player at this point and my JEM lives in it's case most of the time and I keep it clean then it seems to me that a good overhaul every six to eight months should suffice.
supermau is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Moderator
 
jemaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,848
Reviews: 1
Re: noobie question

It won't affect it in a bad way. He's just saying it's harder to clean your board one string at a time.

You will discover it's a deeply personal experience the way you change strings, grasshopper. Once you find your own way - no other will be good enough.

It's like discovering THE TWIRLLY THING hidden in Jemsite -


it's a way of life.

-jemaholic
jemaholic is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 04:35 PM
 
supermau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,064
Thumbs up Re: noobie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
It won't affect it in a bad way. He's just saying it's harder to clean your board one string at a time.

You will discover it's a deeply personal experience the way you change strings, grasshopper. Once you find your own way - no other will be good enough.

It's like discovering THE TWIRLLY THING hidden in Jemsite -


it's a way of life.

-jemaholic
I can understand the board cleaning thing but I'll stick with my current program for now. Being an Edge Trem noob myself I was just elated that I got it right this time (no string shock, trem settled correctly, IN TUNE!) It gave me hope . One day I'll face the challenge of removing all strings and cleaning it up nicely.
supermau is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 04:43 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 3,422
Re: noobie question

I also rip em all off at one time and then clean the boards..
ibanezcollector is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 08:15 PM
 
supermau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,064
Re: noobie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
I also rip em all off at one time and then clean the boards..
Is it a real pain getting your trem setup again or do you block it?
supermau is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 04:03 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,596
Re: noobie question

You should invest in a crappy backup guitar to muck around on and experiment with, alot of people start off on 270s, 350s and arent as hesitant so learn more are more comfortable when they get a jem, by wont last i mean it promotes rust and the board should be clean regularly or it gets imposible to clean properly.
crevis is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 07:07 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Huddersfield/Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 1,373
Re: noobie question

I just put some folded up polishing cloth in the trem cavity and remove all of the strings so I can give the neck a clean, then I put some lemon oil on and replace the strings.
Andelusion is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 08:18 AM
 
Jaden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 2,465
Re: noobie question

I have a piece of wood with some wooden floor protector stuck to it (the stuff that protects your floor from your chair legs etc)

I stick that under the rear of the trem...

each to their own but I couldnt stand playing dirty frets or fingerboard.. I would ruin the guitar for me.

while im at it I polish the axe in those hard to reach places like between the pickups and I take a toothbrush to my edge trem to get all the dust out...

ya gotta keep it clean !
Jaden is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 10:35 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,596
Re: noobie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisshredding View Post
I have a piece of wood with some wooden floor protector stuck to it (the stuff that protects your floor from your chair legs etc)

I stick that under the rear of the trem...

each to their own but I couldnt stand playing dirty frets or fingerboard.. I would ruin the guitar for me.

while im at it I polish the axe in those hard to reach places like between the pickups and I take a toothbrush to my edge trem to get all the dust out...

ya gotta keep it clean !
+1
i hate it when theres pick dust and dirt on my guitar. Does anyone know what will stop the chrome on the trem and pup rings pitting?!
crevis is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 10:38 AM
 
supermau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,064
Re: noobie question

Thanks for the tips. It's not as if I never clean my guitars. It just seems a bit much to do it every time I change strings (which is often). Sorry rya, I sort of hijacked your thread!
supermau is offline  
Reply

Tags
edge trem

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










 
Similar Searches

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
noobie question about recording!! Canadian_Vai_fan Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 5 01-24-2006 06:40 PM
Question about ebay auction Question Miata1476 Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk 6 11-12-2004 02:41 PM
Noobie question about taking off the neck marianozz Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 5 05-09-2004 12:12 AM
Bad horsie 2 question and Amp Question snorkthesick Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 1 04-11-2004 04:56 PM
WARNING: Stupid Floyd Question Ahead! Ugoyin Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 8 01-07-2004 07:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome