Not vibing with my Jem777dy.... How do I change that? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Not vibing with my Jem777dy.... How do I change that?

So I bought this guitar about 2 years ago(used… it’s from 1989). I got it because I had tix to a backstage meet and great with Steve Vai. I had Vai even sign it on the back of the headstock when I met him. At first, I loved it…. But I think mostly out of nostalgia.

But here’s the thing… it took me almost 24 years to get the guitar and it plays and sounds just like it should. But I don’t vibe with it… I am not a sound of the pickups(Dimarzio PAF Pro’s I think). And the neck doesn’t do it for me anymore.

I was thinking of putting an Evo2 in the bridge and an Evo in the neck. But I’m still left with the neck as is.

Any ideas of how I can find the way to appreciate this again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 04:14 PM

Re: Not vibing with my Jem777dy.... How do I change that?

What guitars do you vibe with? What kind of music do you play?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 05:29 PM

Dont mod it, just sell it if you dont like it.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 06:36 PM

If it's in good shape I can take it off your hands or trade you for a different JEM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 07:17 PM

Sell! pickups are an easy change but if the neck isn't what you like, then you are far better off making some $$$ from it and getting something you like.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 08:33 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystixboi View Post
But here’s the thing… it took me almost 24 years to get the guitar and it plays and sounds just like it should. But I don’t vibe with it… I am not a sound of the pickups(Dimarzio PAF Pro’s I think). And the neck doesn’t do it for me anymore.
Looks like an extreme case of GAS to me.
You have a desire for a guitar which you don't like.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 07:57 AM

I have a 89 777 in Pink that I bought 3 or 4 years ago, and while I love holding on to it for collectible reasons, I don't play it much. The pickups are not as hot as my 550s with blackouts and the neck is a few MM thicker, noticeably thicker when you go from one to another...if I wasn't keep this collection, I would move mine too.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:44 AM

I'm kind of the opposite of you in that I prefer the thicker necks of the Jems. This has caused me to get rid of most of my old Wizard neck guitars other than a select few. But having a small collection of guitars allows me to do that.

There's also the old guitar factor. A 25 year old guitar could have fret issues and other problems that make it less enjoyable to play than a newer guitar.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Sooooooo... I told my wife that I was thinking of selling the guitar. She gave me guilt (kind of kidding but not) saying that it is part of a great memory for us and that one of my biggest heroes had signed it, etc.

Grrrrrrr
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I'm kind of the opposite of you in that I prefer the thicker necks of the Jems. This has caused me to get rid of most of my old Wizard neck guitars other than a select few. But having a small collection of guitars allows me to do that.

There's also the old guitar factor. A 25 year old guitar could have fret issues and other problems that make it less enjoyable to play than a newer guitar.
Same here. I LOVE the original run jem necks. They could maybe be a tad thinner but I like them the way they are.

Regarding the old factor, thats the main reason I like getting beat up jems, then you don't feel bad modding them.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 01:23 AM

The same thing happened to me with my '91 77FP. I just either out grow it or lost interest in it, probably both. I realized after a while that I hadn't played it for about 2 & a half years so I ended up selling it. It was a hard thing to let it go as I sacrificed a lot of fun times to get it, but I wasn't playing it so I had no reason to keep it.

I sold it about 5 years ago and I still dont miss play it. I do miss looking at it though. It looked awesome IMO.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 05:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sooooooo... I told my wife that I was thinking of selling the guitar. She gave me guilt (kind of kidding but not) saying that it is part of a great memory for us and that one of my biggest heroes had signed it, etc.

Grrrrrrr
2 years is not enough time to bond with a guitar, IMHO, + it had Vai's signature, so sell it. Get something that can become your own.
I could not ever get rid of my first strat (1984) and my Kramer 210 (1991). Those two guitars will always be *the two guitars*. I gigged with both of them. Later (1997?) I got a Carvin DC135 my1988 left hand which I modded to right hand, and changed everything on it, pups, floyd rose, nut, + I routed it for right hand. Cannot get rid of this either for many reasons, besides being a killer guitar. Later I needed an LP so I got an Ibanez ARZ800, neither this is going anywhere any time soon, and the latest addition is the UV70p 7-stringer. With the universe I can retire the strat, the kramer and the carvin.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
So I bought this guitar about 2 years ago(used… it’s from 1989). I got it because I had tix to a backstage meet and great with Steve Vai. I had Vai even sign it on the back of the headstock when I met him. At first, I loved it…. But I think mostly out of nostalgia.

I was thinking of putting an Evo2 in the bridge and an Evo in the neck. But I’m still left with the neck as is.

You want to mess with an autographed guitar because you dont like the feel or the sound , You must have more money than you do brains..Put it in a case and tuck it away somewhere it is a collectors piece man nothing more.. WOW
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I've gotta admit... I've never played a JEM anything, but I've had several guitars over the years. Some I've loved, and others not so much. I still have my first acoustic even though the action (unadjustable) is so high that I can't play it. I've held onto it for sentimental reasons. My favorite guitar is a 1985 Westone Spectrum LX that went through a fire and took me 25 years to finally fully resurrect. I've held onto it because I loved it so much all those years ago. On the other hand, I had an Ibanez Acoustic Bass for a while, but I just didn't like it as much as I thought it would. It was cool to have, but I find the 2x12 cab that I traded it for to be much more useful.

The point is that, no matter what guitar it is, if you don't like playing it, then get a different one to play. The fact that it's been signed and that it has sentimental value for you makes me think you should keep it... possibly even display it... but find something else to PLAY that you can feel comfortable with. Turn that baby into a "look-but-don't-touch" guitar that you can show off to folks, but show off your chops on something you actually enjoy playing!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed70 View Post
You want to mess with an autographed guitar because you dont like the feel or the sound , You must have more money than you do brains..Put it in a case and tuck it away somewhere it is a collectors piece man nothing more.. WOW
That's BS. Either you have a grudge against folk with expendable income, or you are a collecter, and not a performer. A guitar, for a musician, is meant to be played. If he has to change out pickups to make that happen, it won't diminish the personal, or maybe even monetary, value of the axe. A good guitar should never become just a "collectors piece".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode