Note oscillations when playing JEM505 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Note oscillations when playing JEM505

Hello there!

Newbie and got new JEM505. However i am having problems and very disappointed. When i play a note anywhere the note oscillates (like vibrato/ring modulator). What could be problem?

1. Around bottom is it low
2. Top moderate
3. Middle high

On clean it is there but not obvious - but as soon a a little gain is given it is obvious. pls suggest what i can do myself before running to far shop.

Strings are new.

thanks
abs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 02:42 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Note oscillations when playing JEM505

is this your first electric?? If it is, then when you play the note and lift your finger, your finger is actually sounding the natural harmonic of the note your playing. It takes some getting used to, especially during sweep picking. I got around this by muting with the palm. Otherwise, check the nut, and then the bridge. Else it's something with the pickups, or the wiring.
If all else fails, go to the shop and get them to repair/exchange the guitar.

Last edited by jono; 01-01-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Please avoid the use of "cooltalk" when posting on the forums. For example, please refrain from the use of "ur".
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 02:47 PM

Reviews: 21

Sounds like its not intonated properly.

A basic explanation
http://geetarjim.hubpages.com/hub/Guitar-Intonation

Rich's page on the subject.
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/intonation.htm
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 03:26 PM

Reviews: 1

I too have experienced a simliar oscillating sound but was never able to come to any conclusions. The best way I could describe the sound was simliar to when you are tuning two strings and you get pretty close and you can hear the oscillation between the two strings. I was able to get that oscillationg sound out of a single note fretted around the 12th or so on pretty much any single string.

It definately was worse when I had effects or distortion and I was running thru a Digitech RP255. Something about the Digitech seemed to exacerbate the sound and I wondered if it was really the pedal in it's entirety.

Harmonics from when you lift your finger isn't it or at least wasn't in my case as the sound is produced while my finger is in place. On my particular guitar it was worse around the 14th frets and most notable on the 2nd and 6th strings.

I tried changing strings...that made no difference.

Intonation never made any sense to me with it being a single note on a single string. Plus my chords sound just fine. If intonation was so bad the chords wouldn't sound right either yet they do! Everything I have ever read about intonation always discusses how chords don't sound in tune but never individual notes.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 05:32 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs621 View Post
Hello there!

Newbie and got new JEM505. However i am having problems and very disappointed. When i play a note anywhere the note oscillates (like vibrato/ring modulator). What could be problem?

1. Around bottom is it low
2. Top moderate
3. Middle high

On clean it is there but not obvious - but as soon a a little gain is given it is obvious. pls suggest what i can do myself before running to far shop.

Strings are new.

thanks
abs.
can you better explain top, middle bottom???? of what??

Does this happen when you not plugged in? What type of equipment are you using, including guitar cords......everything in the signal path.

It's common to have some "sweet notes" on any guitar where the pitch of that note corresponds to the resonant frequency of the body/neck, but to have it happen on every note sounds more like electrical/equipment problem. I would also make sure your not playing in a room with flourescent lighting or dimmer switches (for lighting).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 05:54 PM

Make sure your saddles are all tightened down properly. I had this problem with my RG7620 when I first got it; on the D string any note had this weird oscillation like you describe. Turned out the saddle wasn't tightened down all the way. It was enough to keep it from moving, but it was loose enough to vibrate, causing the weird overtones I was hearing.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 07:34 PM

How high are your pickups? If they're too close to the strings they will do exactly what you describe.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 05:04 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
can you better explain top, middle bottom???? of what??

Does this happen when you not plugged in? What type of equipment are you using, including guitar cords......everything in the signal path.

It's common to have some "sweet notes" on any guitar where the pitch of that note corresponds to the resonant frequency of the body/neck, but to have it happen on every note sounds more like electrical/equipment problem. I would also make sure your not playing in a room with flourescent lighting or dimmer switches (for lighting).
Top bottom middle.. I figured he meant the neck top being the headstock.
Lighting? Seriously? Is that what makes the lights turn into strobes.. I thought that only happened on stage.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 08:01 PM

i tried it today on one of the Jems as well as others , i think and am not sure but the notes once played do oscillate more noticeable higher up the neck. Its not one smooth even tone.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 07:07 PM

Does it do it when you take the whammy bar out? Does it stop if you pick softly, and increase if you pick really hard? Could just be due to the sensitivity of the bridge float.

Tags
jem505

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode