Now that my trem is in good shape...... - Another question f - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Now that my trem is in good shape...... - Another question f

Hey everybody--

Thanks once again to everyone who gave advice on my Edge on the BSB. *It's working great now, and I couldn't have done without all you Jemsite monsters out there.

So now that my bridge is set up I'm kinda curious about something. *I play .0010's on all my guitars, but on the JEM it seems to need the spring tensioner screwed almost all the way down. *I may be ignorant of this, but are there different gages of springs? *It's just that my old RG didn't act this way, and yes, I realize they're totally different monsters. *That's the only guitar I owned that I can really compare the JEM to. *It just seems a bit strange that medium strings would stress out trem springs that much.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated, and thanks once again. *I don't know if you all realize what it means to get such great help. *Here in the middle of Illinois there aren't many dealers at all, much less KNOWLEDGEABLE Ibanez dealers. *This site has taught me volumes.

Later,
mg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 05:40 PM

Now that my trem is in good shape......

I haven't found the springs...I just went back to .009's. *But you are definately right. *Adding another spring will definately help.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 11:35 PM

Now that my trem is in good shape......

If you can use three springs it will stay in tune better.
It won't be so hard to push down on the trem bar either.
I use .10s, you need to cut one or two windings off of
each spring to make them shorter. *Then you won't need to screw the screws in so far. You can use three springs when you cut them down. *
Set your trem angle so that the back of the trem is lower
than the front just a little bit. *This will help it stay in tune better. *This angle also gets the action at the right height if the neck is set on the right angle as well.
Then it will play great!

Sebastian

Tags
ibanez dealer , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode