Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Now that my trem is in good shape...... - Another question f

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sebastian 
#1 ·
Hey everybody--

Thanks once again to everyone who gave advice on my Edge on the BSB.  It's working great now, and I couldn't have done without all you Jemsite monsters out there.

So now that my bridge is set up I'm kinda curious about something.  I play .0010's on all my guitars, but on the JEM it seems to need the spring tensioner screwed almost all the way down.  I may be ignorant of this, but are there different gages of springs?  It's just that my old RG didn't act this way, and yes, I realize they're totally different monsters.  That's the only guitar I owned that I can really compare the JEM to.  It just seems a bit strange that medium strings would stress out trem springs that much.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated, and thanks once again.  I don't know if you all realize what it means to get such great help.  Here in the middle of Illinois there aren't many dealers at all, much less KNOWLEDGEABLE Ibanez dealers.  This site has taught me volumes.

Later,
mg

#3 ·
Now that my trem is in good shape......

If you can use three springs it will stay in tune better.
It won't be so hard to push down on the trem bar either.
I use .10s, you need to cut one or two windings off of
each spring to make them shorter. Then you won't need to screw the screws in so far. You can use three springs when you cut them down.
Set your trem angle so that the back of the trem is lower
than the front just a little bit. This will help it stay in tune better. This angle also gets the action at the right height if the neck is set on the right angle as well.
Then it will play great!

Sebastian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.