NUGD JS1600 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Frankhenrylee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

NUGD JS1600

Sup everybody, been awhile, but I have good news to report. I just grabbed a JS1600 off of Ebay of all places. Got it home last night, cleaned it up, ran some of 2000 and 2500 grit scotchbrite over the frets and board for about 20 minutes, but I could never get those really shiny frets, guess I need something else for that.

I was digging through the case and found it was originally bought from none other than Ibanez Rules!

Been wanting to try a real JS for awhile and really expected a much different sound from the mahogany body. This one's sound is very bright and punchy with a significant scoop in the mids. It's actually pretty close to my S1200. I thought the brightness was due to the trem, but I guess that may be what a smaller mahogany body sounds like. I think a raise of the action may reduce the brightness some as well.

One thing that surprised me was the Fred bridge pickup. I dialed up my best Dimebag sound and this pickup stayed very clear. I have Dimarzio Titans in the S1200 which are also supposed to be super tight and clear and they just weren't as tight and clear as the Fred. I guess the lower output of the Fred kept it from getting muddy.

Another difference I noticed was the tension of the strings. I strung to E standard with 9's, currently the same as my RG and 540 and the fixed bridge provided more tension in the lower strings which made the picking feel more accurate for the stacatto type speed picking in a lot of Pantera or Metallica songs. I guess the difference is the slight amount of bounce the tremolo can allow. I missed doing the Dimebag squeals though. Maybe some heavy bottom-light top strings would make the difference on the trem guitars.

Doing back to back comparisons with the Wizard necks, I'm sorry to say that I think I like the JS better. I'd never really had anything but Ibby Wizards. Something about the fixed bridge and beefier neck made me feel more accurate, but it could've just been the new guitar placebo affect where of course its way better because I had to justify buying it. I have to do some more comparisons, but I'm already trying to figure out if I'm going to sell off the RG6UCS to help with a JS2450 lol!

I guess my pics are too big, but you've seen one before!
jemsite and OCDemon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:08 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: NUGD JS1600

Enjoy!!! The JS1600 plays & looks great. Agreed, the neck is no doubt under appreciated. That's unfortunate for the company.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:01 PM
Contributor

I have one and I love it. I think they are better than the JS6s in terms of feel and ease of string changing. (JS6 wins in the looks department though)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

I posted a thread asking about the JS1600 when I almost bought one several months back. Someone posted on that thread and had one of the JS1600's stripped and refinished like the JS6. Was really nice. Mine has a mark on the face of it. I can barely feel it when I run my finger over it. Might just be a cracked spot in the clear, but I thought about maybe stripping like his or just sanding that out and having it re-cleared. It's pretty noticeable, but wasn't enough to turn me off of it. Original JS6's are hard to find and always expensive when I see them.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:25 PM
Contributor

JS6s and maybe all JS guitars from 1992-93 had a different neck that was kind of more square. I think this is the big thing that makes the 1600 feel better to me. (I have 2 6s and a 1600)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 11:08 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDemon View Post
JS6 wins in the looks department though
It might be apples vs oranges (natural wood vs paint) but the JS1600 sparkly silver really looks great.... even better in person than photos (and it photographs well).

Tags
ibanez js

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode