Odd 25xxxx serial number. Dating, HOW? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Odd 25xxxx serial number. Dating, HOW?

Hi folks,

I used the forum search (and lots of Google) to find an answer to my question, but I wasn't successful.

I own one of the JEM77 BFP with 250K-serial number (253399) as mentioned on "IBANEZ RULEZ"
(in the "Plate Numbers JEM-UV" section)

QUOTE:
Where things go astray is when the Jem line went to AANJ in 93'. This is where you start seeing consecutive numbered plates on the remaining regular joint models that no longer indicate year. 160225 was a very odd plate number I came across on a Jem. Most that I'm aware of are what I call 250k plates [25****] and current 2003' FP15th's have 260K plates [26****] meaning there have been over 10,000 Jem's made since they deviated from the serial plate numbering. No matter as most can be dated by the headstock serial # but there will be guitars without them and the plate number will be the only number available. Late BFP's with direct mount pickups for example which bear these 160k/250k plates and no headstock sticker.END OF QUOTE

Now, from what I can see on Jemsite (Jem-Universe info) my guitar must have been built after 1990, because it has a LoPro Edge installed. Second: it must have been produced after 1993 because in 1993 they started to use mentioned 250K numbers.
My guitar has no serial number sticker on the headstock, so the plate number is all I have.

I have found many advice about how to read and date Ibanez serial numbers, I even found a site (guitar dater project) where you can type inyour serial number and get the production date, but it doesn't work with these odd 250k-numbers.

Is there ANY way I can determine, in which exact year my guitar was manufactured??

Production years were '91 to '94, which leaves only two years in which my BFP could have been built: '93 and '94.

It also has the directly mounted pickups (NOT mounted to the pickguard), but I couldn't find any information about WHEN this was changed during production.

Can anybody help me with this? Any helpful links??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:28 PM

Reviews: 13
Re: Odd 25xxxx serial number. Dating, HOW?

Have you checked on the Ibanez Register too?

-Wolfram
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Yes I have. They don't even mention the 25xxxx numbers.
IBANEZ RULEZ is the only site I found, where they mention these serial numbers.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 04:05 PM

No matter what you read, Ibanez didn't always follow their serial patterns. For example, I have a 77BFP with a 91xxxx serial # (leading you to believe it was a 1991 first year model), but it also has direct mount pickups and solid blue knobs (indicating it was a "last batch" 1994 model). Go figure. And I also have a 77GMC with a 90xxxx serial #, indicating a 1990 model, but this finish on the Jem wasn't introduced until 1992. And I have a 777DY with a 90xxxx serial #, but it came with a stock Lo-Pro Edge trem, which would imply a post 1990 model. So there's a lot of examples of neck plates with serials that don't follow the rules of Ibanez serialization. Sometimes you have to weigh the details and make a best guess. I think you're close with your 1993 or 1994 hypothesis.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, Jibboom!
You seem to have knowledge about WHEN the direct mounted pickups were introduced?
My knobs rather look like white Fender knobs painted over with blue. They're white inside and the blue is coming off the edges from using the volume knob often.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 01:58 PM

Ibanez used white based knobs (like yours) and solid color knobs on the Jems. I don't know if there are any hard and fast rules, but they may have changed to the solid based knobs around 1992-93 based on some models I have. It's even harder to date on a used guitar because you don't know if they are original or the previous owner replaced them somewhere along the way.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanx!
Do you know anything about the pickup mounting (direct vs pickguard)?
Any confirmed data available? (production years)

Tags
25xxxx serial number , dating , jem77 bfp , serial number

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode