Oddities in my 777LNG - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Oddities in my 777LNG

Hi folks... First time poster here.

I bought a used Jem 777LNG around 1991 and have never been the type of person to pay much attention to things like serial numbers and such... After looking at this site, I decided to do some comparisons between my Jem and others and there are a few "oddities".

First thing, my signature is not on the body but rather on the trem spring cover... That brings us to number two... the number on the cover is #427 while the heel plate has #351 on it... and number three... There's no serial number on the back of the headstock (nor do I ever remembering one there).

I kind of feel bad cause I literally played the poor thing into the ground... Still looks good, but I really did an injustice to the collectability factor by putting so many very much enjoyed hours of play on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 06:58 PM
dex

Re: Oddities in my 777LNG

1. When Steve was there signing guitar bodies they didn't have all 777 guitars there so quite a few actualy have the back plate signed and not the body.
99% of the guitars distributed in Europe and Japan have signed trem cover plates.

2. The heel plate and the number signed don't have to match, esp considering that they FedExed hundreds of back spring covers to Steve to sign and then got them back to put on guitars - getting the right ones would have been more trouble than it's worth.

3. Serial #s made an apearence on the back of the headstock on Jems in 1993 with the introduction of the AANJ - before then they were on the neckplate.

ilia
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 09:04 PM

Reviews: 3

And, don't feel bad about playing it. That's what is was meant for. As long as you enjoy it, have fun with it, and like it, that's more important then the long-term investment value anyway!
Josh
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Excellent!

Thanks for the replies. I've actually retired the guitar because the frets were beginning to wear quite badly and I didn't want to have it refretted (I put 10 years of hard playing on it anyway, so it needed a rest).

Thanks again.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 08:45 PM

Why not refret it?

You've already said that you've played it for the past ten years, that tells me that you like playing the guitar . . . and since you've already played the "collectability" value out of it, go ahead and refret it and enjoy it for another ten, twenty . . . thirty years. :-)

Personally, the only way I see retiring a guitar is if there's some damage, or if the neck itself has worn so thin it's becoming uncomfortable to play. (Like Clapton's black strat).

Mic
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 09:17 PM

Nooo! Don't retire it. Jeez, play it.

There's an article in the new Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords about a $100,000 1966 R-code 427 Ford Fairlane. One of less than 60 cars made that year. The car is pristine, fully restored with the original motor. You know what the owner does with it? He drives it. He lent it to one of the magazine's chief columnists to take to the track to drag race. No holds barred, they drag raced the car. They took a $100,000 car to the drag strip and let 'er rip.

Why should you put this guitar in the closet? Is an LNG a nice guitar? Yes. Was it made to sit in a closet in a case? No. It's got 10+ great years on it. It's probably got marks on it, is faded somewhat, has scratches, and the frets are worn because you loved playing it. To shelf that all for some perceived rarity is crazy.

Get it revived, refretted, and play it. Would Steve put Evo away forever? Probably not until the day she's completely unplayable.

Or sell it to me. I have a luthier who'll restore it for me and I'll be happy to play it. But please, don't sit her in a corner and silence her. Play.

-R
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:12 PM

yea, something tells me we'll be hearing evo on records to come untill she can only hold one string on her. these guitars were meant to play! especialy the LNG *best jem ever*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode