an old chestnut ...cleaning a guitar - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

an old chestnut ...cleaning a guitar

Hi

can anyone advise me on cleaning my guitars I have a jem 7 a Dna and a 10th anniversary, they are due for a string change which I am nervous about already but I want to take the opportunity to clean/polish and oil the fretboard (sparingly with lem oil ?) I have asked before and searched the web but cant find a diffinitive answer to this. I am worried I will create a light swirl in the lacquer if I polish them

any advice welcome

Regards

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 03:50 PM

Re: an old chestnut ...cleaning a guitar

Meguiars carnuba wax has no abrasives. Got a very nice shine on my FP.
Let it dry for 20 minutes before wipe off.

Link to picture:

http://www.jemsite.com/gallery/showi...hp?i=1649&c=14
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

lovely guitar, what kind of cloth do you use is it just a cotton duster and do you oil the fretboard occasionally ?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 04:26 PM

It is best just to be safe to use cloths from the guitar store. I oil the fretboard with dunlop 65 lemon oil once a year. Did my 7V-WH yesterday. Don't use to much. Wipe the fretboard dry.

You got three of the best looking Jem's ever made in my opinion.

Link:

http://www.jemsite.com/gallery/showi...atid=newimages

Last edited by Stensen; 09-19-2013 at 04:31 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 01:28 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Guitar is a forniture just like a wardrobe, any woman knows how to clean a forniture
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Guitar is a forniture just like a wardrobe, any woman knows how to clean a forniture
oh brother
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 08:24 AM

This is a very good place to start:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_1.htm

I do way more disassembly of the guitar than Rich does in this, but this is basically what I do. For example I would pull the pickguard on the guitar.

On an old guitar, I would actually use a very mild abrasive. What I use is the swirl remover from Stew Mac. I use this with the microfiber waxing cloths you can buy at an auto parts store. There are similar professional products that are used by people who detail cars. 3M makes a great one called Perfect-It.

Once you use that, do not use any sort of paste wax on the guitar. It will leave a cloudy residue that you won't be able to get rid of. I use a cleaning spray made by Martin for acoustic guitars that does a really nice job and leaves no residue.

For the fretboard, I start with a very stiff plastic brush to clean any gunk off. I got a set of three brushes from the auto part store. The other two have brass and steel bristles and obviously I don't use those, but the plastic bristled one is stiff enough to loosen crud. Also, the bristles are small enough to get down into the grain of the wood.

Next I clean the board with steel wool. I wrap the wool over a fairly flexible pick to get a good edge that will get right up to the frets. Next I brush the board with a toothbrush and then get to work polishing the frets. After the frets I apply the bore oil. Once the bore oil has mostly dried, I go over all the frets with an old washcloth to remove any oil residue and shine them up.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Wow, that was an extraordinarily sexist remark, even if you were being jocular.
P.S.
What's 'forniture'? You mean furniture?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 07:40 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
That might just be the very FIRST quote of yours I like, both for the typo AND the sexism.

Very amusing.

Tags
oil fretboard.clean , polish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode