Old Vs New production - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Old Vs New production

What are the facts making some people state that old Ibanez (end 80s beg 90s) are better than new ones? I don't understand it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Eco

Re: Old Vs New production

Theres been quite a few posts around about it.

Alot of people consider the older trems like the Edge and Lo Pro Edge to be superior to the Edge pro currently available.

Same story with the old wizard profile compared to the new.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:45 AM

Eh..................
Ya like the old Chargers or the new? Old Camaros or new? Same difference
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 10:15 AM

are the older jems thinner profile to the new.... i have an '06... it is heaps fatter than my 570 original wizard necks but i thought most jems had the same profile as the the wizard 2
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Eco

I'd say the differences are noticable but i wouldnt say either on was better or worse.

Its just preferance i guess.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Dee

I don't believe the old Ibanez is really better than new. On the other hand, the couple of RG's I've had from back in the day (1987 RG550 and 1990 RG750) were put together flawlessly. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the two more recent RG's I've had (2001 RG3120 Prestige and 2007 RG20th). Both have inferior neck pockets compared to the oldies. The RG20th paint isn't as well applied as the original 550, it's a little too thin like they were running short on paint, so you tend to notice this in the cavities. The RG3120 pocket was shocking. I could easily fit 2 business cards down there.

And on another hand still (yes, I have three hands!), I think the necks are better constructed nowadays, they are multi-piece, so less likely to warp.

The best playing RG I've owned is the 750, then the RG20th, the original 550, and the 3120 (the most expensive one when bought new) was worst of all.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:19 PM

Three hands

So......you can play the guitar and scratch your ass at the same time

(and believe me.......i cleaned that up a lot to what i was originally gonna put )
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Dee

LOL! Yeah. I can also w a n k mysel...

OOPS

*runs...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:42 PM

I think the necks have improved, obviously theirs another major transition point and i think dee will definitely agree on this.......the all access neck joint, lo-pro edge period. It was like playing a completely different instrument for me, and i think others probably feel the same.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Dee

Oh yeah, for me it was a pretty big difference in feel, but overall it still felt like I was playing an Ibanez RG. Gotta love the access to upper frets the AANJ gives, and the Lo-Pro is a wicked bridge. I'm just as happy on the old neck joint and original Edge, though. The Edge Pro doesn't interest me much.

For feel, Original Edge can't be beat, IMO. For looks it'd be the Lo-Pro.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
Three hands

So......you can play the guitar and scratch your ass at the same time

(and believe me.......i cleaned that up a lot to what i was originally gonna put )
Did you mean to say "play piano and scratch your ass at the same time"?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Oh yeah, for me it was a pretty big difference in feel, but overall it still felt like I was playing an Ibanez RG. Gotta love the access to upper frets the AANJ gives, and the Lo-Pro is a wicked bridge. I'm just as happy on the old neck joint and original Edge, though. The Edge Pro doesn't interest me much.

For feel, Original Edge can't be beat, IMO. For looks it'd be the Lo-Pro.
Yeah i think they made solid improvements with both designs. I think their neck joints could get better. Their are fundamental manufacturing issues with both neck joints that cause some major problems, as im sure youve experienced. Still they are fixable issues for the most part.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 02:54 AM

Yeah. same old argument. I guess it would be personal preference on some of the things, technology and advances in production techniques on others.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 03:28 AM

answer to me is because of this
A. Looks, 777's look so much better then the jems on the market today(expect jem 20th)
B. The necks are thiner.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 03:38 AM

the one BIG improvement about the new ones is that some genius decided you don't need 2 humungous M4 screws through the neck to hold the locking nut down.........

The string pressure holds the lock nut down
All you need is a couple of small screws just to stop it moving side to side and to stop the fukr falling off when you take off the pressure(strings)!

Max

Tags
access neck joint , horsie jem , lock nut , locking nut , locking stud , locking studs , neck joint , neck joints , neck pockets , pro edge , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode