Older ibanez sounds better? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Older ibanez sounds better?

Is it just me or do the older ibbys sound WAY better?

I have had probably around 20 ibanez in the last year or so and messed around with pickups a ton yet I always find that:

-Older jems and UVs sound less plastic
-They sound more alive
-They sound more full

Even the rg550 I donated sounded way better than any new ibby Ive owned other than the Jcustoms.

Anyone else find the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 08:13 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Older ibanez sounds better?

Yup....same goes here. My RG3xxv sounds pretty damn good, but other than that the old ones always have MORE to them......... don't ask me to explain what more is, cuz I can't....
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 09:58 PM

Reviews: 13

I also agree with the above statements.
I'd like to have a technical explanation to this phenomenon, though.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

I wonder if its because Ibanez switched their clear coating or paints? Maybe worse quality basswood?

The older ones are lighter in weight too usually.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 11:29 AM

The electric side also makes a difference like pot values, capacitors, cables...not discussed here but after I renewed mine the guitar sounded totally different.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertay View Post
The electric side also makes a difference like pot values, capacitors, cables...not discussed here but after I renewed mine the guitar sounded totally different.
That would make sense given the similar phenomena with effects pedals, comparing vintage to modern. (e.g. Boss pedals like the DS-1, CE-2, etc.)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:51 PM

so what are the years where these changes took place? When did the corner cutting start?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:45 PM

my 7620 weighs twice as much as the 7321 I had,
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:36 PM

I think often the older guitars feel better, but that doesn't always equate with them playing better or sounding better.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:58 PM

Don't guitars usually sound better with age?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 03:42 PM

Sometimes they do, it depends. Some finishes 'breathe' better and sometimes allow the woods to vibrate a little more as they continue to dry out over the years. That's a main reason people like the more fragile nitrocellulose finishes over the thick poly finishes (which last longer and offer more protection). Pickup magnets also lose a bit of their strength as they age, and with that their highest frequencies making them a little 'warmer', but again these are usually differences that you need meters to hear. Not always, but usually.

Unplugged and side by side a '59 Les Paul will sound much louder and sustain a lot longer than a new one, but that's likely because the quality of available wood that was on hand in '59 was simple better than it is now. (Original PAFs, while all expensive, certainly aren't all good!) Plugged in, the difference would be obvious as well. Does that equate to poly finished RG-5xx guitars from 89' to '14? It would really depend on the guitar I suppose. A good friend of mine has a nearly new '52 Tele, serial number in the low 2300's, and it is the absolute worst piece of crap I have ever played. It honestly wouldn't make a good canoe paddle, and has all kinds of age and pedigree at this point.

Anyway, 'older' doesn't mean better in an of itself. Better materials make for better products, as does superior workmanship: those would play more into the final equation IMHO.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Yeah good call!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 04:06 PM

Interesting thought, that the older Ibanez's sound better. I haven't played enough Ibanez guitars of various ages at the same time to hear any difference.

The only thing I've noticed is the wizard necks of the early 90's were super thin!!!

Such a strange time/age for me at the moment when it comes to guitars. I remember thinking that a guitar from the 70's was "vintage" in 1990. That's what, 20 years old. My 92 RG570 is now older than that...Very odd, it's still not "vintage" to me, but it should be going on age.

Anyway, back on topic. Maybe we're getting to a point where there is little to no chance of getting a production guitar from Ibanez that isn't made from "new wood". Whereas in the late 80's-early 90's there was still a chance that an RG could be put together from "old wood", and that would account for some tonal difference?

(if one believes in the tone of wood affecting the tone of a guitar....I do, but some people don't)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 12:50 AM

My '07VWH Jem sounds better than any Jem I own or have owned so far. I have 96' 77BSB & '02 77VSBL, and have also had and sold a '87 777SK and 88' 777DY, all of them sound very similar except the white one just has something the others don't like a more full rounded sound where single notes have a little more depth and sustain and chords are a little fatter, also I don't know how this is possible but it has the Edge Pro and out of all the guitars it's the easiest to get the trem floating and stays in tune very nicely even with all the whammy bar abuse it suffers
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 07:01 PM

Reviews: 1

My 2004 7DBK and my 2002 VSBL sounded way better than my 91UV7bk and 87 DY. I think it just is chance most of the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode