Older Jem Problems - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Older Jem Problems

Hi All,

I recently picked up a second-hand 1989 Jem 7PBK for.....wait for it...........$300AUD which is about $175USD. *bowing*, Thank you, Thank you.

I do however have a couple of questions about it. Some of these maybe normal guitar tech type questions, and I figured as it's a Jem, what better place?

Ok, so it has the wizard neck. One main thing I've noticed is that there are some serious dead spots. Mainly anything above the 12th fret or below the 5th on the high E and B. I just feels and sounds like I'm playing a piece of soldering wire. Not good. Would that be a fret thing? These frets seem to be either quite worn or just drastically different from my RG7620, which has jumbo frets of course. Just to re-iterate my first question - What would cause these dead spots in the tone?

Second question. While playing clean, if I adjust the volume to a comfortable level which the pickup selector is in the 2nd or 4th position, once I switch to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd positions I get absolutely blown away.
For me that's not a big issue as I usually stay at either 4 or 5 depending on the song, but good lord there's a big difference in volume. Would that simply be a pickup thing? If so, if not, What would you recommend to solve this little delema?

Keep Writing, Keep Singing, and Keep Playing.
We'll Be Listening

BandMate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 02:15 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
nice score on the axe

1. assuming proper setup (you need to check that first - see Tech Setup area) deadspots are typically from worn or loose frets. they often don't happen up the entire fretboard however. see a local tech for a level or if a refret is needed if there is a real problem beyond setup. the PBK has low/wide frets.

2. check the wiring. 1/5 have the most output but #3 has the least output (middle only). verify which pickups are operating in each position... glen
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 11:44 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but I think your second question might be a phasing issue. Are the pickups stock (and stock wiring?)?

Perhaps in positions 2 and 4, the middle pickup is out of phase with the respective pickup its combined with. If they are all stock, chances are that someone who re-wired them didn't solder the hot to the switch and ground to ground, but vice-versa.

If the pickups are not stock, then maybe they are wound differently. For pickups to be hum-cancelling but in phase, the middle pickup needs to be reverse-wound and reverse polarity.

Anyway, something tells me that theirs is something wrong with your wiring, if the pickups are stock. If they are not stock it can be the wiring or the pickup themselves that need modifications.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 07:22 PM

Speaking of early jem necks...were the 77FPs (mine is an '89) outfitted with a jem or wizard neck?

If I recall correctly, this info isn't on the site.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Lee
Speaking of early jem necks...were the 77FPs (mine is an '89) outfitted with a jem or wizard neck?

If I recall correctly, this info isn't on the site.
Jem neck, unless I am mistaken.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 04:01 AM

Sounds like it's ruined, I'll give you fifty bucks for it.

Just kidding. Congratulations on a great find.

Tags
guitar tech , jem neck , jumbo frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode