OMC Body...(PIC HEAVY) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

OMC Body...(PIC HEAVY)

So I bought one of those bodies you see on the auctions sites to maybe start an OMC guitar. I've since purchased a Baker Blue Swirl...but I figured I would let you guys see a close-up of what you get for your money.

There's some really awesome points on the swirl (no, I haven't cleared it yet) but the wood working is very poor. Burs on every internal cavity, the lions claw is...pretty bad, wood grain showing REALLY good thru the paint, paint missing in many places. It looks cool in some places, but other there's simply too much missing. The horns look like they're barely dipped, hardly taking much color. All in all....I'm not going to say good or bad. I'll let you guys make the call.

Last edited by Aaron_Jem_FP; 07-06-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Re: OMC Body...(PIC HEAVY)

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 09:13 PM

The swirl is actually pretty cool, but i see what your saying. I personally wouldnt send a swirl out if it was not clearcoated. Its way too easy to scratch, and this looks like that may have happened. Plus its Poplar!?? I have no idea what that would sound like...

If you are gonna build it, that will be good practice for the BMC thats coming ;*)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 10:38 PM

Reviews: 4

AWSOME!!!

It's just a pity for this... Otherwise, it would be a 10/10 job! 9.9 for you...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 PM

Reviews: 7

Wow nice swirl, now you just need to clearcoat it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbaker33 View Post
The swirl is actually pretty cool, but i see what your saying. I personally wouldnt send a swirl out if it was not clearcoated. Its way too easy to scratch, and this looks like that may have happened. Plus its Poplar!?? I have no idea what that would sound like...

If you are gonna build it, that will be good practice for the BMC thats coming ;*)
I ordered and adler body...but I'm not 100% sure what it is. I'm going to go ahead and clear it. The neck pocket is pretty bad. When bolted on there's over .060 gap on either side of the neck so it looks poor at best. I'm wondering how it will line up in relation to the bridge.

Either way, I'm going to clear it. It will at least improve the looks of the guitar. I'll post picks in a couple days after it's been cleared and started curring.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 01:17 PM

Yeah the one I ordered off the bay has the same deal with the horns.

Except mine is totally not dipped on the inside of the horns it is just white :P
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 01:28 PM

Reviews: 2

Im in the process of building one of those swirl bodies, im 100% sure its the same guy. mine is a DNA swirl body. as you said "The swirl is good but the wood working is poor". I couldnt agree more. I cleared mine in 2 pack polyurathane.
Good luck with yours.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to clear it and be done with it. I've got a clear pickguard (holes are drilled) and white based orange knobs to go with it....if anyone is interested.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 05:21 PM

Reviews: 16

Unfortunately, that's the problem you run into with some of the guitar sellers on the bay. I had a customer that sent me one to swirl that he had bought from one of the sellers off the bay. It was a CNC cut guitar. I don't know if he had the feed ramped up (too fast) or if he was using a dull cutter, but there was alot of tear out.

I had to completely repair just about the whole guitar. He paid alot of money for it too. I was beside myself when I saw it. Seems like he paid around $200 or more for it.

If a swirl is done right you won't see the wood grain. The body is supposed to be sealed before you do anything. Then you put some primer on there (often white) and then swirl. You'll never see wood grain doing it that way.

This guy you bought it from is churning them out just as fast as he can. So be it. The swirlers and luthiers that do a good job will show you detailed pics of what they did. There's where you pay the big bucks.

Sorry about your guitar body though. The swirl does look good in most places. Just a crappy cutting job.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

shame it has a few minor problems but its still kick ass on the eye.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:08 PM

Not a bad swirl.I only swirl existing ibanez bodies.The factory sealer is a nice foundation to work from and you don't have any fitting problems when you reassemble.Not that you can't do it right from scratch.I just don't trust the workmanship I've seen on the majority of cnc jobs.Most of the work involved is body prep and clearing, buffing.Swirling is the fun part.So you get what you pay for.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post

Unfortunately, that's the problem you run into with some of the guitar sellers on the bay. I had a customer that sent me one to swirl that he had bought from one of the sellers off the bay. It was a CNC cut guitar. I don't know if he had the feed ramped up (too fast) or if he was using a dull cutter, but there was alot of tear out.

I had to completely repair just about the whole guitar. He paid alot of money for it too. I was beside myself when I saw it. Seems like he paid around $200 or more for it.

If a swirl is done right you won't see the wood grain. The body is supposed to be sealed before you do anything. Then you put some primer on there (often white) and then swirl. You'll never see wood grain doing it that way.

This guy you bought it from is churning them out just as fast as he can. So be it. The swirlers and luthiers that do a good job will show you detailed pics of what they did. There's where you pay the big bucks.

Sorry about your guitar body though. The swirl does look good in most places. Just a crappy cutting job.

I hear you. I knew it was going to be a crap job. I employed Mr. Baker before I ever recieved this guitar. I just wasn't sure if any of the forum folks have forked out the $200+ this guy asks for and will maybe help them avoid the "cheaper" route (no pun intended). He said the body was sealed but i suspect it's nothing beyond a quick white base coat on naked wood. I didn't even bother with coresponding with the seller after recieving it. I'm under the assumption (like you mentioned) that he's simply churning them out as fast as possible. And by looking at some of his web pages, that's exactly what's going on. Oh well. Chalk it up to garage wall decoration!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode