Once and for all, how do I tune a JEM7VWH? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Once and for all, how do I tune a JEM7VWH?

I know it is a tired subject, but maybe I bought a model with a tremolo that isn't as good as older models. I am aware that this has been discussed previously but I am begging for some clarity here, I am so durn confused.

My model is an 03' guitar (F03 serial number), ebony fretboard with a trem that says Ibanez on the part where the writing is placed. Nothing else. It looks from the pics here http://jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/trems.htm to be a Lo-Pro Edge. Is that what it is supposed to have come with? Or did the 03's come a few different ways, and why doesn't it say Floyd Rose on it anywhere?

I bought this brand new from GC a few months ago. I know, I should have got it from Rich. But at this point, I am not sure if this is the right trem, nor how in the hell to tune it. Two strings seem to always flatten out by the time I get close. Help! And thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 12:11 AM

that could just be because the bridge itself floats.

Try tuning each string about a semitone to a full tone higher then the desired tuning...as you tune each string up to pitch, the others will drop, and they will likely drop close to the pitch that you actually wanted.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 12:57 AM

The 2003 7VWH should have the new Edge Pro, see the pictures here:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/2003/trems.htm#EP

As far as the trem, checkout Rich's tech section:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/tuning.htm
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 09:06 AM

Reviews: 1
Davester is correct -
When you tune one string it increases the tension on the whole bridge-and that makes the other strings go flat. So, when you are tuning up- tune "higher" than the right note and when you tune another string the first one will lower a bit. It's best when learning this type of tuning to just change one string at a time and seperately tune each one before moving on to the next.....don't worry- it's a little tricky, but you'll get it!!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 12:26 AM

Also make sure that you leave plenty of turns on the fine tuners before you lock the nut down. That way you won't be unlocking them more than once. Good luck!!!

Mike
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 05:10 AM

After tuning, how long does it last before it goes out of tune ever slightly?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 01:26 PM

It depends on how frequently and to what extent you use the bar, but I can go a couple weeks at a time before I have to unlock the nut to retune (and I use the bar fairly frequently). Most of the time, you'll just be able to use the fine tuners to pull it back to pitch.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 02:06 PM

Reviews: 1
Actually, if you "stretch" the strings well before locking them they should stay in tune indefinitely. Mine do - and I'm a Dive Bombing Animal!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 04:04 PM

Follow Rich's tuning guide to the letter.

I don't think anyone could explain it any better. He has it step-by-step exactly what you have to do to tune, and keep in tune, any FR type floating trem.

They are/can be a pain in the tucas when it comes to changing strings/tuning up, but once tuned, barring any problems with the guitar, they will stay in tune.

My '90 RG 550 is beat to hell with cracks in the body/neck and I can still play her do death and never go out of tune.

"Best bridge; ever!" (Comic Book Guy impression)

Mic
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 04:38 PM

I always found start with lowest string and bring it up to tune, then next string and all the others up to top.

Then retune lowest to highest again

and

again

If you find the bridge lifting you need to give some turns on the trem spring screws to compensate.

After trying for years to tune FR's that is the technique I have settled with.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 12:38 AM

Do what Rich says, and be patient its a pain in the arse.
You gotta love the trem ... its a demanding mistress.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 08:30 AM

For what it's worth, I had a similar problem with my BSB - I took all the strings off and it just would not get back in tune. I posted on here and received user error comments. I took it to a tech and they installed a Shim\kick under the neck and it sorted it out a treat - pefectly in tune, perfectly flat.

Point is, the guitar needed this shim\kick thing in. So no matter how much fiddling around I did, I would never have got the damn thing right.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 12:03 PM

Quote:
pefectly in tune, perfectly flat.
I know what you mean but thats a crackin' way of putting it

I didn't know the neck angle would make a difference to retaining the
tuning unless there was some movement there.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise
I didn't know the neck angle would make a difference to retaining the
tuning unless there was some movement there.
There may very well of been some movement there. The dude said that he needed to fit it to allow the trem to float correctly.

The mental thing is that the trem was fine without it until I removed all the strings, so I still don't really understand the logic behind that one, just pleased that he fixed it and cleaned the guitar for 12.00
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Vendor

Again, even though every Ibanez could use a neck shim all it does is give you more pullup range on the trem. Your problem was and still is

Changed string guage
Guitar way out of adjustment to begin with
User error - tuning incorrectly

And no shim is going to stop or have any effect on any of the above.

$20 to tune a guitar? He saw you coming

Tags
ebony fretboard , floyd rose , ibanez guitars , neck angle , neck shim , pro edge , string guage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode