The one that got away! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

The one that got away!

Back in 1996 I found this "Jem" in a local guitar shop. i didn't care how much it was I wanted it! This guitar was much more than a standard Jem it was a prototype Jem. With the LA Custom Shop logo on the back with Mace Bailey's name inprinted as well. It has the Monkey Grip but no Lion's Claw tremolo cavity. In place of the "Jem" logo on the headstock is says "Steve Vai". I bought the guitar for $800. A steal even 12 years ago. This guitar wasn't without its flaws though. The clear coat finish had air bubbles in spots. The orange and black Dimarzio's (Steve Morse Models) the orange was flaking off, eventually I scraped the rest of the orange paint off, the picture is from when I first bought it. The body itself is narrower that a standard Jem. The nut width of the neck is 1 5/8". The unfortuate thing about this guitar, even with the Lo Pro Edge, it was a bitch to stay in tune. From a collectors standpoint it was awesome though. I owned this guitar for about 2-3 years. I eventually traded towards a Peavey EVH Wolfgang Standard (Vintage Sunburst/Flame Maple top). I got my money back on it, so I didn't lose anything on it. some people I know think i was stupid for getting rid of it. I kind of kick myself for it now, but in return I got an awsome guitar that I owned for about 7 years before I got sold that as well. I think I regret selling the Wolfgang more, at least that was playable. I remember several years ago looking on Steve Vai's website and there it was, my old guitar, the exact same one! not a copy, I matched the swirl on both pictures and realized that is was the very same. This made me even more sad about getting rid of it, oh well. Ibanez i guess made several guitars like this for Steve, I guess they were test gutiars to see what finishes he liked. His website stated that this was one of his favorites, now i'm even more upset. The picture below is of my nephew holding the guitar, the other pic is from Steve Vai's website, see for yourself. One thing I remember about that time period is that I could go into any of my local guitar stores and find several used Jems. I remember the day i went to sell this guitar, the shop had a Floral Jem, a desert yellow Jem a black Jem 7P at the same time. Local shops now very rarely have used guitars thanks to ****.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gtr011_mco.jpg (48.7 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg scan001001.jpg (69.3 KB, 210 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Vendor

Re: The one that got away!

Steve's OMC? Nice to know it's out there, but it would bring $10,000+ if it ever went to e-bay.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

I can only imagine how much it would bring today. I try not to think about it, but I do unfortunately. I live in Omaha, Nebraska, which is where I bought it (how it got to Omaha I don't know). The guitar shop that I bought it from at the time, eventually went under. Rumors were that they were getting guitars that were well "HOT" as they say.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 12:33 AM

Wow. That is a true Jem. I've always liked that one too.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 11:23 AM

OH ****! The Halloween swirl! Aaarggh hindsight,what a shame you let it go. Great story still though.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 12:48 PM

Man..I know that had to hurt! Seems that's the way it goes though. Nothing to do about it now.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 01:10 PM

Reviews: 10

Thats a really beautiful guitar, and now Steve owns it? That's gotta at least make you feel some-what better!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 04:32 PM

Cool story. I always loved the OMC!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 07:42 PM

That's a great story! Talk about the one that got away hey!!!!

Man!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:08 PM

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

Isnt that the same guitar too?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:46 PM

Cool Re: The one that got away!

I wonder if the OMC was one of the JEM's that Steve had stolen...??? So don't be so sad, you might've had to return it if you still had it, specially, if you knew it was "HOT"
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 02:39 AM

cool thatyou had it....very nice.....i cant say that!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 07:14 PM
MM

We are trying to track this guitar down, as this did belong to Steve - and was sold without his knowledge by someone he lent it to.

If you have any information, please let us know.

Mikey
vai.com
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 10:26 PM

Its one of the most popular jems, on most peoples "Favourite" lists.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM View Post
We are trying to track this guitar down, as this did belong to Steve - and was sold without his knowledge by someone he lent it to.

If you have any information, please let us know.

Mikey
vai.com
Is Steve still friends with that person that sold it?

Tags
steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode